X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
    To the first, no it would be a lie. I excuse mainlanders for being igorant of the difference between a Hawaiian and a Hawaii resident, I don't excuse Hawaii residents who are so shamelessly trying to rip off the Native Hawaiian identity.

That's like saying you shouldn't expect most Americans to know the difference between a modern United States American and a Native American Indian. We would call them fools.

To the second, if you are less than 50% of any race then IMHO you really should stop letting that ethnicity be your answer to "What are you?". Its dishonest and minimum and in the case of Native Hawaiians, its psychological genocide. Why not just be honest and say you're, mixed race, cosmopolitan, poi dog, just American etc.? Why list Hawaiian if 31 out of 32 of your Great Great Grandparents were NOT Hawaiian. Silly.
    How is it a lie when the State is called Hawaii, therefore, the residents of that state is referred to as "Hawaiians"? Much like residents of California are Californians or Texas with Texans? Of course, knowing the history and the existence of the Kingdom of Hawaii, it isn't the wisest thing for a non Kanaka Maoli to say he/she is "Hawaiian". But it's not a lie. I already pointed out the cause of all this grief, that the State is named the same as the Kingdom. There is no issue with Americans and Native American Indians because those Indians never called themselves Americans, they had names that the US never used to name a state - Sioux, Cherokee, etc. And learning here that Kanaka Maoli rather refer to themselves as Kanaka Maoli, perhaps a greater push on the term "Kanaka Maoli" would help eliminate this problem?

To the second, how is it silly if 31 of your 32 ancestors were Japanese and 1 was Hawaiian? Would the term Japanese Hawaiian be wrong? Does that not indicate mixed race, cosmopolitan, poi dog, etc? And why did you use poi dog? Wouldn't you be upset that person used a Hawaiian word like poi to describe themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Most of the time, it's not so much an expat wanting to refer to themself as "Hawaiian" as it is having a nonlocal person mistakenly identify an expat as "Hawaiian" (when they are not) and the expat's frustration at trying to explain the difference between being "from Hawai'i" but "not being Hawaiian" and a Native Hawaiian.
      Miulang
      I know what you mean and agree that it can become a 2 way problem. Especially in the college environment, the Hawaii kids end up being called "The Hawaiians" by the mainlanders. So what you say is true.

However, if you feel like answering the question, I don't think saying, "I'm Chinese, not Hawaiians, Hawaiians are native peoples similar to Native American Indians" is that difficult. It would get the point across everytime.

Comment

However, if you feel like answering the question, I don't think saying, "I'm Chinese, not Hawaiians, Hawaiians are native peoples similar to Native American Indians" is that difficult. It would get the point across everytime.
        I tried that, and I still used to get (when I lived in Boston): "Well, if you were born in Hawai'i, then you MUST BE Hawaiian!" It was like a broken record. No matter how I put it, I would forever be "Hawaiian" in their eyes. At that point, I just gave up.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I tried that, and I still used to get (when I lived in Boston): "Well, if you were born in Hawai'i, then you MUST BE Hawaiian!" It was like a broken record. No matter how I put it, I would forever be "Hawaiian" in their eyes. At that point, I just gave up.

Miulang
          Exactly.

I had the same problem when I first arrived to the mainland. Everybody said "you're Hawaiian!" and I replied, "no, I'm Local." I would try to explain the difference between Native Hawaiians and Locals, how Hawaiians are considered Locals but not every Local is Hawaiian, etc. At the end of my mini-lecture, people would always say, "but, most Hawaiians are Asian, right?" After about 2 years of that I just gave up. If they want to think of me as "Hawaiian" then that's what I am. Personally, I don't see what's so complicated about it, but the typical mainlander can't/unwilling to wrap their brain around the subject.

In Portland, I'm "Samoan" (and I don't have any Polynesian blood) until I told them that I am "Asian" (actually I am mixed but whatever), so now I am Asian. Maybe that is a step up from Los Angeles. Possibly.

So I can relate to the "Hawaiians" aka Locals who might have given up as well and just became Hawaiian. If you can't beat them, join them.

But I think that Kamuelakea's own bias/racism against Local Asians sure came out, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by mungbeansoup View Post
            Exactly.

I had the same problem when I first arrived to the mainland. Everybody said "you're Hawaiian!" and I replied, "no, I'm Local."

So I can relate to the "Hawaiians" aka Locals who might have given up as well and just became Hawaiian. If you can't beat them, join them.
            What is "Local" to a mainlander? Local means anyone who lives in a particular zipcode. Of course they are confused because you are confused.
            Why so hard to just say, I am CHINESE, or repeat after me Mungbeansoup, I am JAPANESE, I am PORTUGUESE, I am FILIPINO. See? Not too hard. Time to stop the charade. Time to honor your true ancestors. Time to get in touch with yourself.

You are another faux-neo-Hawaiian-Wannabe. Get over it mungbeansoup, you will die never being Hawaiian no matter what you pretend to be.

I know your kind well mungbeansoup because I used to be like you. But now I am free at last, free at last, lord almighty free at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Miulang

You guyz just don't try hard enough. Use the Indian analogy. Everybody knows what an Indian is and everybody knows they didn't come on the Mayflower with the Pilgrams but were in North America for thousands of years before anyone else.

Easy. Repeat after me Miulang.

Stranger: Are you Hawaiian?

Miulang: No, no, I am of Chinese decent, I am not Hawaiian. Hawaiians are to Hawaii what Indians are the lower 48 or Eskimos are to Alaska. I lived in Hawaii but I am not a Hawaiian.

See?

Most people will get that. I tell people that all the time as I explain the make up of Hawaii. They get it.

Comment

You guyz just don't try hard enough. Use the Indian analogy. Everybody knows what an Indian is and everybody knows they didn't come on the Mayflower with the Pilgrams but were in North America for thousands of years before anyone else.

Easy. Repeat after me Miulang.

Stranger: Are you Hawaiian?

Miulang: No, no, I am of Chinese decent, I am not Hawaiian. Hawaiians are to Hawaii what Indians are the lower 48 or Eskimos are to Alaska. I lived in Hawaii but I am not a Hawaiian.

See?

Most people will get that. I tell people that all the time as I explain the make up of Hawaii. They get it.
                Kam, I am NOT Chinese! I have been called Hawaiian, Mexican, Indian, Eskimo, Italian among other things. No matter WHAT I say, I am Hawaiian to those people when I tell them I was born in Hawai'i. The people who I interact with on a constant basis know I'm not kanaka maoli, it's those chance encounters with idiots who I'll never see again that make me mad. What am I supposed to say? Lie and tell them I wasn't born in Hawai'i so they don't keep referring to me as Hawaiian??? That's a double lie, as far as I'm concerned.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

What about an Indian from India living in America and when approached about his/her background, replies, "I'm Indian." Damn that poser right? How dare he/she pretend to be a Native American.

Comment

What am I supposed to say? Lie and tell them I wasn't born in Hawai'i so they don't keep referring to me as Hawaiian??? That's a double lie, as far as I'm concerned.Miulang
                    The simple one, two punch of: I am (FILL IN THE BLANK), I am not Hawaiian, and Hawaiians are like Indians.

Now if the dummy doesn't get it, then you have 2 choices, walk away or take this as an opportunity to educate people on the plight of Native Hawaiians. Because Hawaiians are not like Indians in that they don't enjoy the same recognition and independence.

So if they are really that dumb and if they irritate you that much, then by all means take them to the next steps.

Tell them about the Hawaiian nation, independent, peaceful, with numerous treaties with many governments including the United States. Tell them about the overthrow, tell them about Cleveland, tell them about the apology bill, tell them about the social and economic and cultural plight of the Native Hawaiians.

For the uneducumatables, I tell them, you ever see Isreal Kamakawiwaole? Have you ever seen Duke Kahanamoku? If they say yes, I say, that is a Hawaiian, not all the immigrants you see running around the islands today. If they don't recognize those names I say, "Have you ever seen a Samoan?" They all say yes. Then I say, that's kind of what a Hawaiian looks like, only Hawaiians are better looking. I add in Hawaiians are Polynesians, not Asians.

Then they will get it, garanzzzzzz. I don't stop until they get it. No can Ack wid me.

Bottom line is that your intelligent friends will get it with the first response and idiots who don't deserve the history lecture.

Either way, productive.

I don't know why you guys have so much difficulty with this because I encounter the same questions but rarely (It does happen) have difficulty getting people to understand the difference between a Hawaiian and an immigrant.
                    Last edited by kamuelakea; March 11, 2007, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      What about an Indian from India living in America and when approached about his/her background, replies, "I'm Indian.".
                      I saw a newswoman add to this very response, "Dot, not feather". Too funny.
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.

*cyn scrunches her brow, peers over the computer monitor at eric, now 35 years old and born of a sansei father and a okinawan-palauan-japanese-spanish-portuguese-english-korean mother, who is in her fifties*
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The simple one, two punch of: I am (FILL IN THE BLANK), I am not Hawaiian, and Hawaiians are like Indians.

Now if the dummy doesn't get it, then you have 2 choices, walk away or take this as an opportunity to educate people on the plight of Native Hawaiians. Because Hawaiians are not like Indians in that they don't enjoy the same recognition and independence.
                          And see, that's the point, Kam. Kanakas are NOT like Native Americans because they have even fewer rights than most tribes do! So to say Hawaiians are like Indians doesn't make sense either. So you're telling me I should say something like : "Real Hawaiians are like Native Americans except they don't have the same rights and privileges that Indian tribes do?" Unfortunately, most people in this country don't recognize shades of gray, Kam. You either "are" or you "aren't". Our educational system is woefully inadequate in teaching kids that it's never only one way or the other, especially when you refer to people of multiple ethnicities.

And I try mightily to educate people about the history of Hawai'i, but most people don't get it.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; March 11, 2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                            *cyn scrunches her brow, peers over the computer monitor at eric, now 35 years old and born of a sansei father and a okinawan-palauan-japanese-spanish-portuguese-english-korean mother, who is in her fifties*
                            I said most, not all. Tell me you are not a minority in Hawaii? How many over 35 years old part-Japanese from Hawaii born Japanese parents do you know?

I know some, I know 1000 to 1 the number of part Chinese, part Portuguese, part Hawaiian part English part German. I gotta test my memory to come up with the part-Japanese.

So you can keep scrunching your eyes but you're going to get those permanent crows feet wrinkles when you're 50.

Comment

I said most, not all.
                              you definitely did did not say "most". this is what you said:

I'm assuming that you are 100% japanese. I can do that based upon the fact that AJA's didn't start out marrying until the last 25 years or so.
                              while you didn't say "all," you made an assumption about craig and declared it to be based on "fact." i'm not going to make any statements on craig's ethnic background, but i easily proved your "fact" wrong with the simple act of looking across the couch at my boyfriend.

as for your more recent comment:

How many over 35 years old part-Japanese from Hawaii born Japanese parents do you know?
                              brah, i know planny. i went to a high school known for its relatively high concentration of students of japanese and chinese descent, and each graduating class numbered about 200. practically all of the kids i went to school with were local born, and many of them were not only themselves mixed-japanese (including japanese-hawaiian), but had parents who were part-japanese. given my own age, many of those former schoolmates are now over thirty-five.

additionally, eric's dad's family is from the north shore, where there are a good number of hawaii-born native hawaiian-japanese of his parents' age. if that actual fact seems inconceivable to you based on your "fact", then i could make the mistake of assuming you also don't know what "sansei" means but i don't have the habit of making an ass of myself.

So you can keep scrunching your eyes but you're going to get those permanent crows feet wrinkles when you're 50.
                              crow's feet at fifty? i would have flinched if you said "crows feet at thirty," which i, by grace of my filipina genes, do not yet have. warning me against crow's feet at fifty is as impotent as warning me that if i stick my tongue at you, my face is gonna get frozen that way.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                                brah, i know planny. i went to a high school known for its relatively high concentration of students of japanese and chinese descent, and each graduating class numbered about 200. practically all of the kids i went to school with were local born, and many of them were not only themselves mixed-japanese (including japanese-hawaiian), but had parents who were part-japanese. given my own age, many of those former schoolmates are now over thirty-five.

You simply aren't looking around. Again. Look at your graduating class or anywhere else in Hawaii. The number of part-chinese/part-haole/part-hawaiians/part-portuguese each outnumber the amount of part-Japanese 1000 to one.

You don't know Hawaii and especially Hawaii's recent history. It is a fact that Hawaii's Japanese married out the least (of the large ethnic groups) from when they arrived until recently (maybe the 1980s) and probably on a percentage basis still marry out the least. Come on, this is so obvious, it isn't worth argueing about. If you don't see the differnce, you are blind to reality.

If I invite all of the Craig Watanabe's in Hawaii to a party, most, maybe even all, would be pure Japanese. That's just da facts honey gurl.

As for Filipina's, I agree, they age very well and tend to look 10 years younger than they are up to a certain age. But have you ever noticed that most 60 year old filipinos look just as old as any other race 60 year old? What happened? When did they change? That means that they look great right up to about 50 and then, WHAM, father time seems to catch up fast. Just what I've noticed.

Comment

Working...
                                X