X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by bbcmay View Post
    Your right! I am so foolish....two 30 second stories on this crime is plenty to get the word out so that Hawaii's government will see that this is an ACTUAL problem, and these people need to be punsihed to the fullest extent.
    If you think the media influences government, you are sadly mistaken. Quite the opposite is true.

Fwiw, those in government are not as ignorant as you may believe.

I don't think the media needs to be up in the victims face, for it will only make them a target again (probably why they asked to be left alone). I think the media needs to spolight the racial tensions in Hawaii so that the government will start to be harsher with their punishments on people to act out in such a way.
    Are you familiar with the Massie trial? if not do some research. The Waikele beating, as bad as it was, pales in comparison to what transpired here in 1932.
    Last edited by Keanu; March 1, 2007, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Your right! I am so foolish ... I think the media needs to spolight the racial tensions in Hawaii so that the government will start to be harsher with their punishments on people to act out in such a way.
      PJ said it best. What racial tension in Hawaii? Between Chinese and Japanese? Filipinos and Samoans? Ha! Funny how when it always seems to involve a caucasian from the mainland, then its "racial tension." Haoles are always involved in racial tension. How come?

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
        Haoles are always involved in racial tension. How come?
        White supremacist groups are a good example. KKK and skinheads, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
          White supremacist groups are a good example. KKK and skinheads, etc.
          Not all skinheads are racist, thank you.

Comment

Hawaii is what YOU MAKE OF IT.
            This statement bothers me because it isn't what you make of it, it's how you adapt to Hawaii, is how you will fare in these islands.

I encounter people all the time who say, "Well back on the mainland we do it this way" to even "Well on Oahu we do it this way".

When you come to another place you don't attempt to change it, you try to integrate into it, when in Rome...

You don't Make Hawaii into what you want, you adapt to Hawaii. That's the problem with racial tensions here. Too many people trying to bring their culture into Hawaii and make that square peg fit into that round hole. Pretty soon that round hole (the Hawaiians) are gonna feel reamed by that square peg and they're gonna react.

I don't think this was the case with the Waikele incident. I do feel however that this statement by bbcmay shows the arrogance of how someone can feel they can move to someplace and attempt to influence the local culture by making it what they want.

If you attempt to change what other people have accepted, you will run into resistance from those in which you attempt to change.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              The media needs to spotlight the racial tension in Hawaii? Why that particular subject and not something else? In MY EYES, it's not so much racial tension as it is a local vs. mainland thing. And this particular incident was the result of a traffic incident.

How long have you been in Hawaii, anyway? Are you unhappy because you're not being treated the same way you were when you lived on the mainland?
              I can only watch so many specials on ICE use. I don't think it would hurt anything to do a special on racial tension, any and ALL racial tension here because is exisits with every race that is in Hawaii. This certain incident may have started out as a case of 'road rage' but it was brought to the severity it was because of a persons race.
              I have lived here almost 7 years and I love Hawaii, and I have had a VERY positive expirence living out here. I have had no wrong doing to me personally other than a few comments.
              I am not saying that this is the most severe case of violence I am just simply stating that if the Hawaii government had more pressure on them to punish these crimes accordingly then maybe these crimes wouldn't happen so much. And to think that the media doesn't play a role in the justice systems is just naive. Look at when Britney Spears was riding around with her kid on her lap. (How often does that happen out here??) Because she was in the media for it, child services paid her a little visit! What about the OJ trial or this whole Anna Nicole Smith fiasco?
              The media can highlight the racial tensions here while “staying neutral” and “remaining objective”. What is the media's goal when they show specials about ICE use? To get people off ICE. So why not focus on racial tensions out here? What harm could it do? You never know, it may actually help!
              To think that all racial tension involves a caucasian is laughable. This case is particulary hurtful because of the fact that the husband served 2 tours in Iraq, a 23 year old woman was hit in the face by a 45 year old man, and their 3 year old was watching the whole thing. AGAIN, I can only hope that the justice system will prove me wrong and punish these two to the fullest extent.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                I have to say it is kind of shocking that a veteran soldier could not defend himself against a 16-year-old civilian. No wonder we are losing the war in Iraq!
                Wow, you're kidding right?
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  This statement bothers me because it isn't what you make of it, it's how you adapt to Hawaii, is how you will fare in these islands.

I encounter people all the time who say, "Well back on the mainland we do it this way" to even "Well on Oahu we do it this way".

When you come to another place you don't attempt to change it, you try to integrate into it, when in Rome...

You don't Make Hawaii into what you want, you adapt to Hawaii. That's the problem with racial tensions here. Too many people trying to bring their culture into Hawaii and make that square peg fit into that round hole. Pretty soon that round hole (the Hawaiians) are gonna feel reamed by that square peg and they're gonna react.

I don't think this was the case with the Waikele incident. I do feel however that this statement by bbcmay shows the arrogance of how someone can feel they can move to someplace and attempt to influence the local culture by making it what they want.

If you attempt to change what other people have accepted, you will run into resistance from those in which you attempt to change.
                  This is completely the opposite intentions of my comment. I have never once tried to 'change' anyone or anything in my time in Hawaii. The words "Well back on the mainland we do it this way" has never come out of my mouth. I meant that you can choose to 'accept' the fact that Hawaii has racial issues or you can try to educate the people who have these hostilites so that crimes like this don't happen again! There are racial tensions in all states but Hawaii is particulary tight lipped about it for fear of loosing tourism.

Comment

To think that all racial tension involves a caucasian is laughable. This case is particulary hurtful because of the fact that the husband served 2 tours in Iraq, a 23 year old woman was hit in the face by a 45 year old man, and their 3 year old was watching the whole thing. AGAIN, I can only hope that the justice system will prove me wrong and punish these two to the fullest extent.
                    I agree with this. It saddened and infuriated me that a young mother was punched out by a man in front of her small child! The particulars of fault, circumstances, ethnicity are extraneous details. That poor kid and that poor mom.

Watch this at your own risk: a female cop beaten by an ex-convict in front of his young daughter: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/108737/a_man_attacks_cop/

To me, this case touches on the same thing: beating on a smaller/weaker person because you can, in front of a child so impressionable that how can s/he not be scarred for it.

pax

Comment

There are racial tensions in all states but Hawaii is particulary tight lipped about it for fear of loosing tourism.
                      I don't agree with this. I don't think we see racial tension in the same light as other states, nor do the majority of residents here have much loyalty/respect for tourism as our driving economic engine as you might think, considering how much Hawaii depends on it.

pax

Comment

I meant that you can choose to 'accept' the fact that Hawaii has racial issues or you can try to educate the people who have these hostilites so that crimes like this don't happen again!
                        This is a really naive comment made in ignorance of the underlying causes for such rage. No amount of "education" can sever the ingrained feelings that many Hawaiians have.
                        Last edited by Keanu; March 2, 2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

This is completely the opposite intentions of my comment. I have never once tried to 'change' anyone or anything in my time in Hawaii. The words "Well back on the mainland we do it this way" has never come out of my mouth. I meant that you can choose to 'accept' the fact that Hawaii has racial issues or you can try to educate the people who have these hostilites so that crimes like this don't happen again! There are racial tensions in all states but Hawaii is particulary tight lipped about it for fear of loosing tourism.
                          This is where intent and effect due to cause can get someone in a world of trouble.

What you Make of things implies creating or changing what's already out there.

What you Accept of things is implies a better acceptance of what's already out there.

What we should be looking at is not only the hostilities of what happened but the root cause of why it's happening.

When an animal is hunted down and cornered, one of two reactions occur and it's the classic "fight or flight" syndrome. Not to say this kid was hunted down but this haole couple represented the hunter by the mere fact that they were white.

I understand this because I was in Denver back in 1978 when this white caucasian woman slapped me in the face for bombing Pearl Harbor! She attacked me for doing something at a time when I wasn't even born! And I was wearing my U.S. Air Force dress uniform at the time! In this case I was the hunter and she was the hunted and she reacted not because of me but of who she felt I represented.

This haole couple represented the white man's illegal push into Hawaii and this Hawaiian family felt cornered and lashed out like a scared animal. This is why it happened.

But like a cornered animal, this Hawaiian family wouldn't have lashed out if the car that hit them wasn't owned by a "White man hunter"

What happened was not acceptable. Why it happened is the result of racial tension.

What needs to happen is defusion of this tension

How it happens is thru dialog and ACCEPTANCE of each other's culture.

You don't create peace by MAKING it what you want.

This is why your statement bothered me, it's so "Western Thinking" in a non Western world we call Hawaii.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Thanks for that perspective, Craig; I have heard the first part in many threads and conversations, but I don't have enough experience with situations outside O`ahu to have realized that the second part likely applies far too often. Good point, and thank you for opening yet another of those little doors in my brain, marked "awareness."

Comment

This can go as big or little as you want.
                              *Big* Some of my ancestors are of Russian Jewish decent. We had many relatives in concentration camps during WWII and you don't see me over there seeking retribution.
                              *Big* My great grand-mother was %100 cherokee indian and yet I am not angry at the Eurpoean Settlers who took land from them.
                              *Little* My father left my mother when she was pregnant with me and I was raised without a dad for the majority of my life. Recently I have been lucky enough to form a relationship with my biological father and I do not hold hostility with him for the decisions he made years ago. His wrong doing was to my mother, not directly at me.

I understand completely what you are saying and agree with you for the most part. Yes the fact remains that some Hawaiians still have hostile feelings over the 'white man's illegal push into Hawaii' but that still doesn't excuse this behavior. It feels as if you are saying, "Well I am white, and in Hawaii so if a native hawaiian who feels threatend by my presence chooses to lash out at me, I should just suck it up and take it"
                              "ACCEPTING" the fact that there are still people who are mad and are going to lash out, is just codoning this behavior to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                                This is a really naive comment made in ignorance of the underlying causes for such rage. No amount of "education" can sever the ingrained feelings that many Hawaiians have.
                                But what could it hurt? If a special about Racial Tensions in Hawaii aired on TV and 100,000 people watched but out of those people only one person decided to change their view of another race....wouldn't that be a good thing?
                                Don't you want to live in a world where things like this don't happen? Don't you want that for your children?
                                You never know that one person could get into a fender bender with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X