X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hate Crime?

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    This is a really naive comment made in ignorance of the underlying causes for such rage. No amount of "education" can sever the ingrained feelings that many Hawaiians have.
    Warning: Contents Under Pressure
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmay View Post
      This can go as big or little as you want.
      *Big* Some of my ancestors are of Russian Jewish decent. We had many relatives in concentration camps during WWII and you don't see me over there seeking retribution.
      *Big* My great grand-mother was %100 cherokee indian and yet I am not angry at the Eurpoean Settlers who took land from them.
      *Little* My father left my mother when she was pregnant with me and I was raised without a dad for the majority of my life. Recently I have been lucky enough to form a relationship with my biological father and I do not hold hostility with him for the decisions he made years ago. His wrong doing was to my mother, not directly at me.

I understand completely what you are saying and agree with you for the most part. Yes the fact remains that some Hawaiians still have hostile feelings over the 'white man's illegal push into Hawaii' but that still doesn't excuse this behavior. It feels as if you are saying, "Well I am white, and in Hawaii so if a native hawaiian who feels threatend by my presence chooses to lash out at me, I should just suck it up and take it"
      "ACCEPTING" the fact that there are still people who are mad and are going to lash out, is just codoning this behavior to continue.
      I also agree that this action shouldn't have happened to this white couple. That's unacceptable. However one has to understand the root cause of why it happened.

And no I don't believe you SHOULD suck it up either. Accepting is the first part of healing, dialog is the second part. What action takes part next will determine if there is any healing or opening up of any wounds.

How this case is handled addresses this racial tension and if done right the wounds can begin to heal, but done wrong, OMG! Talk about opening up Pandora's box.

Racial tension has gotten to this point...what are we as a society gonna do about it now? Deal with it or close that box and forget it like we've always done before. Like Buzz says, contents under pressure...
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I also agree that this action shouldn't have happened to this white couple. That's unacceptable. However one has to understand the root cause of why it happened.

And no I don't believe you SHOULD suck it up either. Accepting is the first part of healing, dialog is the second part. What action takes part next will determine if there is any healing or opening up of any wounds.

How this case is handled addresses this racial tension and if done right the wounds can begin to heal, but done wrong, OMG! Talk about opening up Pandora's box.

Racial tension has gotten to this point...what are we as a society gonna do about it now? Deal with it or close that box and forget it like we've always done before. Like Buzz says, contents under pressure...
        That is very true. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I understand this because I was in Denver back in 1978 when this white caucasian woman slapped me in the face for bombing Pearl Harbor! She attacked me for doing something at a time when I wasn't even born! And I was wearing my U.S. Air Force dress uniform at the time! In this case I was the hunter and she was the hunted and she reacted not because of me but of who she felt I represented.
          Reminds me of the case in Detroit where two haole guys bludgeoned Vincent Chin to death thinking he was a Japanese and blaming him for being out of work due to the autoworkers being layed off. Vincent Chin wasn't even Japanese but rather a Chinese American. It shows the ignorance of these kind of people.
          Last edited by na alii; March 2, 2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
            It shows the ignorance of these kind of people.
            Haoles? Or stupid people? Stupid people come in all flavors.
            Burl Burlingame
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by bbcmay View Post
              The media can highlight the racial tensions here while “staying neutral” and “remaining objective”. What is the media's goal when they show specials about ICE use? To get people off ICE. So why not focus on racial tensions out here?
              Let’s not confuse “the media” with documentary filmmaker Edgy Lee. Two different animals entirely.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

*only read some of the REPLY'S sorry..too long foa my maka's...but all I gotta say is, dat was STUPID.....stupid Hawaiians...there I said it.

You know I RARELY say those two words in the same sentence, stupid & hawaiian, but I think this one calls for it. I don't say it that often becuz Hawaiians should be smart, kind, freely giving aloha.

My 83 year old kupuna kane, after reading the newspaper article on this story, he slowly put the paper down, took off his glasses and said, "Auwe, Stupid Hawaiians beat up da haole"

That was classic,(not the incident, but how my papa reacted) he was actually sincere when he said it. Felt bad for the haole couple and felt bad for the stupid hawaiians.

Felt bad for the haole's cause they got lickens for no reason.

Felt bad for the stupid hawaiians, cuz, they've lost what it means to be Hawaiian.
                sigpic

Comment

This incident has certainly hepped up Whitey. The deal is, every haole in the islands has been called a fackin haole at some time or another, and the fact is, the haoles have to take it and swallow because of white guilt. That's just the way it is.
                  My own father was called that as he was beaten unconscious by drunken Hawaiians at a UH football game. (His broken jaw and other injuries weren't enough for the city prosecutor to press charges.)
                  Shrug. He still prefers to live here rather than the Mainland. He just avoids drunken people at football games. Good advice for everyone.
                  But this recent incident is basically attempted murder. Maybe some sort of threshold is being reached.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    This incident has certainly hepped up Whitey. The deal is, every haole in the islands has been called a fackin haole at some time or another, and the fact is, the haoles have to take it and swallow because of white guilt. That's just the way it is.
                    My own father was called that as he was beaten unconscious by drunken Hawaiians at a UH football game. (His broken jaw and other injuries weren't enough for the city prosecutor to press charges.)
                    Shrug. He still prefers to live here rather than the Mainland. He just avoids drunken people at football games. Good advice for everyone.
                    But this recent incident is basically attempted murder. Maybe some sort of threshold is being reached.
                    And you wonder why they want to ban alcohol at the stadium.

Comment

You can't blame alcohol for the behavior of animals. They were animals before they started drinking. Bad guys are bad guys, while apologists think the booze, or the ice, or the Quran, or some other thing is the problem. Sorry. Not true.

Maybe a close look at their parents would reveal some clues? This is true around the world. Ignorance breeds ignorance. Sometimes it looks like racism, sometimes it looks like murder, sometimes it looks like domestic violence. It's all just ignorance. And it's been there since childhood, long before substance abuse, or unchecked colonialism, became the issue.

Stupid is terminal. There is no cure.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

It was a UH/BYU game, and my dad was there cheering UH, since he grad from there.

After beating my father up, the drunks returned to chanting "Kill the haoles!" and were surprised when police showed up.

There was an arraignment, but when the perps didn't show, Marsland's office dropped the case.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...#uslPageReturn

So, now this story is getting national attention with this article in USA Today. Many interesting (and some ignorant) comments have already been added to the end of the story.
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Big deal. I read the article in USA Today. Front page story? Must have been a slow news day.

Fact is, nothing in Hawai'i will change re: Local vs Haole relations due to some article in a newspaper. Most mainlanders have never been to and never will visit Hawaii. They'll forget all of this by this weekend.

Anyway, I have to laugh when I read articles like this. Since when do non-Whites (in this case Locals) have to be "better than" Whites? The day I'll care about what happens to Whites in Hawaii is the day Whites will dismantle institutional racisim and somehow atone for all the historical atrocities they inflicted on non-whites. As if that will happen.

Comment

Even after reading the article, I'll say it again: What racial tension in Hawaii? Would this article have been written if a local Chinese guy beat up a local Japanese guy, and said, "Take that Jap." However, whenever it involves a haole, different story ....

In my book, no one gets "special" treatment in Hawaii ... and that includes haoles. Aloha.

Comment

Like someone quoted in the Honolulu Advertiser forums that before they criticize Hawaii as being racist they should clean up their own White Supremacist racist act on the mainland.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...03-05-05-43-45

Comment

Working...
                                X