Hawaii: Worst drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii: Worst drivers

Man, I gotta vent. I believe the license certification or re-certification needs to be changed (there should be a road test) cuz people on Oahu DO NOT know how to drive. I almost got into 3 accidents in 2 days.

I was coming up Alakea on my motorcycle when this SUV suddenly cuts into my lane, nearly broad-siding me. I toot my horn and the driver, a man, doesn't even hesitate at all, and just keeps merging into my lane.

Then last night, I'm in my car driving up towards Punchbowl in a residential area lined with parked cars on both sides, and a young Asian lady is coming the opposite way in the middle of the road. Good thing I slowed down, cuz at the last second she turns right in front of me. Again I blast my horn and she just ignores me. Not even 10 seconds later on the same street, a caucasian guy on a moped comes out of one of the side streets (without looking I presume), and next thing I know he's right in front of me with a "deer in the headlights" look on his face. If it weren't for the fact that I was going only 15 MPH, he'd be DEAD right now.

I believe if it weren't for the fact that I'm such a careful driver (thanks to motorcycle safety training) I would've been involved in 3 accidents in 2 days. Everyone please be careful when out on the road. There's too many accidents happening on the daily. Aloha.

Re: Hawaii: Worst drivers

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
    Man, I gotta vent. I believe the license certification or re-certification needs to be changed (there should be a road test) cuz people on Oahu DO NOT know how to drive. I almost got into 3 accidents in 2 days.

I was coming up Alakea on my motorcycle when this SUV suddenly cuts into my lane, nearly broad-siding me. I toot my horn and the driver, a man, doesn't even hesitate at all, and just keeps merging into my lane.

Then last night, I'm in my car driving up towards Punchbowl in a residential area lined with parked cars on both sides, and a young Asian lady is coming the opposite way in the middle of the road. Good thing I slowed down, cuz at the last second she turns right in front of me. Again I blast my horn and she just ignores me. Not even 10 seconds later on the same street, a caucasian guy on a moped comes out of one of the side streets (without looking I presume), and next thing I know he's right in front of me with a "deer in the headlights" look on his face. If it weren't for the fact that I was going only 15 MPH, he'd be DEAD right now.

I believe if it weren't for the fact that I'm such a careful driver (thanks to motorcycle safety training) I would've been involved in 3 accidents in 2 days. Everyone please be careful when out on the road. There's too many accidents happening on the daily. Aloha.
    I agree with you but I think every driver should be required to take a professional defensive driving course instead. I don't know how your road test went but when I took mine back in the day, it wasn't even that demanding. As long as you didn't do anything stupid, you passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
      I toot my horn ... Again I blast my horn ...
      And those folks probably thought you weren't a local, because you used your horn; they probably told their friends about the lolo malihini that almost hit 'em! Ai-ya! (Except, as you noted, they pretty much ignored you altogether.)

Comment

So I'm driving up University Avenue turning right onto Dole street. There are two right turn lanes and I'm in the outside. This motorcyclist riding a Harley pulls up on the inside right turn lane and we both take it.

I guess he didn't think my Vanagon could corner like that and that I'd slow down. He on the other hand speeds up and both of us end up on the apex with him drifting into my lane with no space to drift into.

We end up at the intersection on a red light at the Dole street entrance to the UH parking lot. He looks at me and tells me, "You the kind of assholes that motorcyclists hate."

I look at him and tell him, "you're the kind of motorcyclist who shouldn't be riding a bike if you can't negotiate a simple turn like that." We almost end up beefing right there on Dole street. This buggah called me out and I came out. I guess he figured I wasn't going to call his bluff and he took off.

Yeah what a punk all mouth and no guts.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

... I look at him and tell him, "you're the kind of motorcyclist who shouldn't be riding a bike if you can't negotiate a simple turn like that." We almost end up beefing right there on Dole street. This buggah called me out and I came out. I guess he figured I wasn't going to call his bluff and he took off.

Yeah what a punk all mouth and no guts.
          Yup, lotsa idiots on motorcycles too. No one is immune. It's not really worth getting into a confrontation, though. (Just my opinion.) Aloha.

Comment

speaking of idiot driving:

funny thing that just happened on the way back to the office from grocery outlet today(side note on my grocery outlet purchase: two frozen lean cuisines, one package double stuffed cookie things, two liquid ice mint packages, two four-packs of diet raspberry sparkling water, one two-pack of strawberry ice cream biscotti dessert things--less than $14.00. a good third of the store is now empty. still get planny spam, but! *shaka*):

eric was driving. we were turning right onto waiakamilo from kalani street. as many of you are aware, there is a little police station on the river (canal?) side of kalani street, so it was no surprise to us that there was a police car just ahead of us, also about to turn right on to waiakamilo. we noticed that there was a teal/green american car with a saggy butt (i'm thinking taurus?) in front of the cop's car, taking the same turn, but reeeeaaaaaaally slowly. you could tell the police officer, who was driving a charger, was rather annoyed, because as soon as he could, he hustled around the taurus. we also went around the taurus as soon as we could, because i think he was going only 5-10 mph.

the beau and i head up waiakamilo and find ourselves again behind the police officer. we're in the far left lane heading mauka; mr. police man is signaling that he is going to turn left onto dillingham. i tell eric, "we're gonna be waiting a while," because traffic heading makai is so dense, and the right lane next to us is just as busy, preventing us from switching lanes so that we can continue going straight up dillingham any time soon. i look down to continue reading the review i was reading about the 2007 mini that eric had found online and printed for me. the next thing i know, eric yells, "holey (ish)! you've got to be kidding me!"

i look up and see mr. taurus, who had just been in the right lane next to us, trying to turn left, around mr. police man, and despite the drivers from the opposite side of the street who have the right of way.

of course mr. police man's blues light up.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

If U thought that was stupid, this has to take the cake.

Me and my team just finished a softball game at Moiliili Park on S. King St. and Isenberg I believe it is, and we're having a few brews. It's around 11 p.m., and this police officer in a regular car (not a patrol car) is coming Makai on Isenberg, then turns left on S. King and pulls right up to us on the sidewalk. There's another car right behind him, a local Asian-looking couple in their 30s, in either a Benz or BMW with the man driving.

As the cop pulls up to us, and asks us very nicely to leave soon or else he's gonna get in trouble from his boss, the Asian couple insist on stopping behind the cop. With all 4 lanes of the rest of S. King St. open, instead of just going around, he starts revving his motor. (I guess he failed to notice the siren on the top of the cop's car.) We all look at the guy confused, as the officer just calmly continues talking to us. The Asian guy is getting even hotter, then he toots his horn at the cop. The cop still ignores the guy, then the guy burns rubber and goes around the cop, giving him "stink eye." My team went wild, we all yell, "Get that asshole!" Sure enough, cop turns on his siren and pulls him over in front of Safeway. The cop must've kept him there for a good half hour, as he took his time checking registration, etc. And we got to drink for an extra half hour due to above ignorant asshole.

Comment

Yea, apparently you wuz so buss up, you mistook Star Market for Safeway.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

I guess Walmart has a sale on driver's licenses again.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

But the best of all is the idiots who get into a "merge" lane and then come to a complete stop.

FYI, when you enter a merge lane, you should step on the gas.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Yea, apparently you wuz so buss up, you mistook Star Market for Safeway.
                      Ha ha ha. Nah, I was so bas i taut i was in kahalu'u ... to be solid from da heart we have pride for da eassyde!

Comment

Even if the driving improved, car drivers generally don't drive well with motorcycles around. I used to ride a bike and its easy to get into near-accidents with car drivers.

They just aren't as aware of the smaller vehicles.

Comment

This guy may not have been the WORST driver, but is in the running for the STUPIDEST I've ever seen.

In Mililani, I was at Kuahelani St. by McDonald's, waiting to turn right on Kam Hwy. toward Wahiawa. In front of me was a police officer in a blue-and-white. The guy behind me was so impatient that he passed us on the right, via the grassy off-pavement area. CHRISTMAS TIME ............

Comment

so im driving a pick up truck thats laden with steel pipes, going to cambell. theres a red rag tied to the end and the load is tied down, but the pipes are extending out of the bed by about 2.5 feet.
                            on the way to cambell, i drove in the right lane. cars would zoom up behind me and follow very closely. now heres the thing, IF I SLAMMED ON THE BREAKS, YOUR GOING TO GET A BUNCH OF RUSTY STEEL PIPES IN THE EYE! it didnt help that cars would cut me off, possibly making me slam on the breaks.

ARE THESE DRIVERS STUPID???
                            survey says "YES"
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Stupid is a bragging right in Hawaii.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X