Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    I don't find the local work ethic comment particularly funny. My parents worked their local asses off so we'd be able to live comfortably at home in Hawai'i. I don't think "Mexicans" are any harder working or any more reliable than those that already live here.
    Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that there are no hard working people in Hawaii. Only that those who take things a little more casually will be further marginalized by people like many Mexicans.

Fwiw, not to paint with too broad a brush but there are already a wealth of kooks taking up space in our lineups, the last thing local surfers need is more.
    FWIW plenty of Mexicans already surf.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Pua'i, I think I'm just jaded because of how often it really has happened, and still happens a lot to my mother, to my father, etc,. To the point where there had been rumors at their work about them making up their heritage because of being ashamed Mexicans.

Yes, walking away would be the right thing to do when someone starts that stuff with me. It's just that when they get an attitude about my more than kind response, and names start being called, I see red. I have issues walking away when someone is saying something false about me. I'm also too nice for my own good, I never get rude back with them, then I bottle it all up.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post

FWIW plenty of Mexicans already surf.
        You're going to have to excuse my dismissiveness, Sinjin. Those of us who grew up surfing here have a different perspective on the matter. Few Mexican surfers are the "Bobby Martinez" type. My intial sentiments on kooks still stand.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
          Pua'i, I think I'm just jaded because of how often it really has happened, and still happens a lot to my mother, to my father, etc,. To the point where there had been rumors at their work about them making up their heritage because of being ashamed Mexicans.

(
          My sister says the same thing... Mexicans get irritated at her because they think she's ashamed of her heritage by refusing to admit that she's mexican. She tells them "I'm Hawaiian"..they still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
            You're going to have to excuse my dismissiveness, Sinjin. Those of us who grew up surfing here have a different perspective on the matter. Few Mexican surfers are the "Bobby Martinez" type. My intial sentiments on kooks still stand.
            Bobby Martinez is not a Mexican. He's from Santa Barbara, CA. I know what you mean though. Hawaiians invented surfing. Californians just perfected it.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
              >>TIC<<

Some do. It can be learned, like any other language.
              <giggle>

ok. Hawaiians don't speak Spanish, although there is neither law nor biological reason prohibiting the development of such ability.

Sorry for making you twitch. Obviously, I could have written that more concisely.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?
                On the couple of rare occasions when locals assumed I was Potagee (as opposed to plain ol' vanilla Haole), I took it as a compliment - until I wondered if they thought I was talking too much.
                Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                Does anyone watch Carlos Mencia? He had a whole skit about how when he landed in Hawai'i when he was on vacation he thought he was deported and was really in Mexico.
                Kermet Apio has a bit about touring in small American towns, and how the smaller the airport he's in, the more "Arabic" he seems to look.
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; February 26, 2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

<giggle>

Sorry for making you twitch. Obviously, I could have written that more concisely.
                  The >>TIC<< was for "tongue-in-cheek," not an involuntary fasciculation.

And no need to apologize. I look back on some of my own posts, cringe, and wish they'd allow us limitless editing capabilities on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                    The >>TIC<< was for "tongue-in-cheek," not an involuntary fasciculation.

And no need to apologize. I look back on some of my own posts, cringe, and wish they'd allow us limitless editing capabilities on this forum.
                    fasci-shilisha-fashy-zulosho-simple-squamous-cel-ebration...hah?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      ... the smaller the airport he's in, the more "Arabic" he seems to look.
                      ...which is about as scary as getting the Tongan Crip shaka every time my husband passes the Rockies...

pax

Comment

<giggle>

ok. Hawaiians don't speak Spanish, although there is neither law nor biological reason prohibiting the development of such ability.
                        Way back in 1555 (or about 223 years before James Cook and his ilk landed here), a Spanish navigator named Juan Gaetano and his crew (comprised of Spaniards, Mexicans, Pilipinos, Chamorros, and Africans) dropped anchor in Hawai'i. As sailors are wont to do, several of them probably became quite familiar with some of the local wahine and made contributions to several kanaka maoli bloodlines. Jump to 1793, and we have Don Francisco de Paula Marin (aka "Don Manini"), an Andalusian who became a servant to Kamehameha, cultivated the first coffee trees in Hawai'i, and sired about three dozen children with various kanaka maoli wahine (and others). And then we have the paniolo....

Statistically, it's likely that some Latinos and kanaka maoli have several ancestors in common. Thus, it's kind of silly for a kanaka maoli to be insulted if Latinos can't distinguish a Hawaiiano from any population group that has had contact with Spanish explorers, sailors, settlers, etc.

And I know several kanaka maoli (myself included) that can speak "pocho Spanish" with a reasonable degree of proficiency.
                        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

I don't look Spanish or Hawaiian, (no really) and always get a kick out of answering in decent Spanish to anybody talking around or about me. It's even better when I hear Japanese, though my responses are less than fluent.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                            Hawaiians invented surfing.
                            Nope, Polynesians invented surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                              Nope, Polynesians invented surfing.
                              He'enalu (surfing) was invented in Hawaii and has been practiced here for hundreds of years.

From http://www.litoralvirtual.com.br/ubatuba/esporte_i.htm

The Hawaiians invented surfing. The "Ubatubans" feel obliged. The great navigator James Cook described the strange sport he saw in 1778 when visiting the islands. The habit of "riding" waves conquered the world when a Hawaiian became an olympic swimming champion and divulged surfing internationally, for it helped him with the training his victory. Duke Khamanoku became the first international surfstar conquering North Americans, Europeans and Australians. After him generations of champions followed his steps.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                He'enalu (surfing) was invented in Hawaii and has been practiced here for hundreds of years.

From http://www.litoralvirtual.com.br/ubatuba/esporte_i.htm

The Hawaiians invented surfing. The "Ubatubans" feel obliged. The great navigator James Cook described the strange sport he saw in 1778 when visiting the islands. The habit of "riding" waves conquered the world when a Hawaiian became an olympic swimming champion and divulged surfing internationally, for it helped him with the training his victory. Duke Khamanoku became the first international surfstar conquering North Americans, Europeans and Australians. After him generations of champions followed his steps.

Auntie Lynn
                                Google doesn't tell all auntie. Please don't quote google when it comes to Polynesian History.

Polynesian invented surfing. Tahitians, Maori, Moriori, Samoans, & Tongans all have have surfed. It's in the oral history of the people.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                great navigator James Cook
                                lol, yeah, he was great
                                Last edited by PoiBoy; February 27, 2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X