Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

waycross,georgia..(deep south-alligators,snakes&bugs!)

Unhappy Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

OKAY..I AM VERY VERY CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.MEETING MY DAD,ELDERLY AUNTIES & UNCLE IN MY ADULT LIFE HAS BEEN AN EYE OPENING & LEARNING EXPERIENCE. MY DAD & UNCLE REMEMBER NOT BEING ABLE TO SPEAK HAWAIIAN WHEN THEY WERE KEIKIS. REMEMBER BEING AT OHANA GATHERINGS WHERE THE OLDER ONES WOULD STOP SPEAKING & SINGING HAWAIIAN IF KIDS NEAR BY.THEY'D GET ONE DIRTY LICKIN IF THEY SPOKE IT IN PUBLIC & AT HOME.OR EVEN ASKED ABOUT IT.I'VE BEEN GETTING INFO FROM KAHEA?..KAU INOA..FREE HAWAII..HAWAIIAN NATION & AM TRYING TO LEARN. HAWAII WAS THEIR OWN NATION RIGHT? IT WAS TAKEN..SONGS,DANCE,RELIGION,ETC..INCLUDED..RIGHT? NOW HAWAIIANS ARE FIGHTING FOR THEIR OWN RIGHTS..NOW FAST FORWARD A LITTLE. WE LIVE IN A TOWN THAT NOW HAS MANY CULTURES. BUT IN PAST 7 YRS,EVERYWHERE I GO,MORE & MORE THINGS ARE SPANISH ONLY.INSTRUCTIONS AT LAUNDRY MAT,CAR WASH,SCUSE ME GUYS BUT FEMININE PRODUCTS,FOOD ITEMS,SIGNS,ETC..I'VE HAD CUSTOMERS LEAVE MY JOB(ASHLEY FURN.) ANGRY BECAUSE I DONT HAVE SPANISH CREDIT APPS.& THAT I HAVE TO HAVE A VALID U.S.PHOTO ID,I HAVE 2 SIS IN LAWS WHO ARE TEACHERS IN DIFF. COUNTIES WHO HAVE FAMILIES REFUSING TO LEARN ENGLISH.THEY ONLY WANT THEIR CHILDREN TO SPEAK SPANISH..TODAY MY HUBBY & I GO TO WALMART..(NOT A REGULAR THING) WE'RE HANDED PAMPHLETS AS WE GO IN.I CANT READ MINE,ITS SPANISH.WHEN WE LEAVE I ASK GEORGE WHAT IT WAS.HE LAUGHED & SAID DUH..BLOOD DRIVE INFO FROM RED CROSS..HIS WAS IN ENGLISH!! HE WAS AS SHOCKED AS I WAS!SO I WALK BACK TO THESE PEOPLE ,(WHO BY THE WAY WERE CUSTOMERS OF MINE IN THE PAST)HAND IT BACK & ASK IF THEY HAVE ONE IN HAWAIIAN BECAUSE I CAN'T READ WHAT THEY GAVE ME.(I COULDN'THAVE READ A HAWAIIAN 1 EITHER BUT!!!) ONE LOOKED AT THE OTHER & SAID..IF YOU'RE NOT SURE "WHAT THEY ARE" THEN GIVE EM ENGLISH & SPANISH FLIERS!! AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CPLE STANDING THERE SAID YEA, DO YOU HAVE ONE IN AFRICAN? I'M NOT PREDJUDICED.I'VE BEEN RAISED AROUND IT.I TRY TO NOT GET INVOLVED IN POLITICS CAUSE BASICALLY BIG WORDS CONFUSE ME.AS KEIKIS COMING FROM HAWAII TO THE SOUTH(EARLY 70S), MY BRADDA & I WERE CONSIDERED SLOW BECAUSE OF OUR PIDGIN.(SO EVEN TRYING TO TYPE IT MAKES ME FEEL WRONG).AND TAKING SHOES OFF AT CLASSROOM DOOR MADE EM ALL LAUGH!! BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN IT'S AUTOMATIC THAT EVERYTHING SHOULD BE IN SPANISH.WE ARE ALL CULTURES.A MELTING POT.SOME OF US MORE THAN OTHERS.I KNOW I';M AMERICAN.BUT I AM HAWAIIAN.I SEE NO OTHER LANGUAGES BESIDES ENGLISH,NO CHINESE, HAWAIIAN, JAPANESE, & SO ON. UNLESS IT'S SPECIFICALLY AN "ETHNIC " STORE OF WHICH WE HAVE NONE ANYWHERE NEARBY.MY THING IS HOW CAN A HERITAGE BE TAKEN FROM SOME BUT THEN ANOTHER BE FORCED ON OTHERS..I'M CONFUSED..OFFENDED...I REALLY NEEDED TO VENT.WE ARE ALL EQUAL.....I KNOW THIS MAY BE RAMBLING TO SOME BUT THAT'S JUST ME..IF I'VE OFFENDED ANYONE.PLEASE FORGIVE ME.I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND...
    "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG".....OR STICKER I JUST SAW "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG?"...KIMMI

Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way??

My sister lives in San Diego and hates it when people try to speak spanish to her because they think she's mexican.

I get annoyed too, the other day I drove through Jack in the Box and noticed a sign at the pickup window that was written in Spanish.

Oh my. I'm gonna' need eyeglasses after reading that. Kimmi, please use upper/lower case and paragraphs next time you vent.

As far as the Spanish thing, there's a stipulation somewhere in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) (enacted in '94) that requires products, industrial relations (labor) and other services in/from the US include Español in the language used or written; which is why that Zenith TV you just bought has half the instruction booklet written in Español.

If the Hawaiians attain a sovereign nation, it's unlikely they would be post-drafted into NAFTA, as the population nor industrial output probably wouldn't be large enough to be recognized as beneficial to NAFTA. There's lots of red tape and fat in the agreement, but overall it's proven to have benefited the 3 nations (US/CANADA/MEXICO). Sorry Kimmi, but politics are involved.

That would be kinda' neat though. Imagine setting up your new TV, reading the set-up instructions in Hawaiian.

My late grandmother spoke fluent Hawaiian, but she was very modest about using it as her grade schools (on the big island) at the time forbid its use, and she never forgot that.

can I get the cliff notes version of this vent, please? Mahalo!

pax

waycross,georgia..(deep south-alligators,snakes&bugs!)

So sorry about that! The weather here is horrible! Everytime I tried to post, my computer blinked off.That was my 3rd time!!
    Mahalo for the explanation tho!! happy sunday all!!

wait...seriously, what was it that offended you? Past transgressions towards Hawaiians and/or your family, or receiving a flyer in WalMart? I am confuddled, but want to know...

pax

Quote Originally Posted by Keanu View Post
    My sister lives in San Diego and hates it when people try to speak spanish to her because they think she's mexican.

I get annoyed too, the other day I drove through Jack in the Box and noticed a sign at the pickup window that was written in Spanish.
    LOL....reminds me of a few friends and co-workers visiting in Southern Cal. and they get mistaken for a Mexican. You got to admit that a lot of local folks can pass for Mexicans and visa versa.

Ya know that feeling that you're being stared at when out in public? And then you look up and they are staring at ya! Had that happen to me many times....I look up and there's a bunch of Vietnamese folks standing there waiting for me to answer! I give them my befuddled look and they tell each other (in english) that I don't speak Vietnamese!
    Lovena

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
    Ya know that feeling that you're being stared at when out in public? And then you look up and they are staring at ya! Had that happen to me many times....I look up and there's a bunch of Vietnamese folks standing there waiting for me to answer! I give them my befuddled look and they tell each other (in english) that I don't speak Vietnamese!
    LOL...another one that reminds me of an experience with my co-worker. My co-worker is 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 Japanese and his wife is Vietnamese. One year they went on a trip to Vietnam and came across a market place. It was then when an elderly woman started speaking Vietnamese to him so using hand gestures he replied with no speak Vietnamese. His wife explained to the elderly woman that her husband doesn't speak Vietnamese. The elderly woman then replied back asking what kind of Vietnamese he is not speaking Vietnamese. It was then when the wife explained that he is not Vietnamese.

Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

Yes, you are wrong.

Spanish is the second most common language in the U.S.

It's spoken by more people in the Americas than English.

Apparently anyone living in the South long enough might be infected by the endemic bigotry of the region. Shame that that includes Hawaiians. Latinos are here to stay folks. Coming to a town near you.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Quote Originally Posted by makepagirl View Post
    OKAY..I AM VERY VERY CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.
    Is there a reason for all this yelling?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    Latinos are here to stay folks. Coming to a town near you.
    I don't think there will be an influx of latinos here in Hawai'i anytime soon... too much of a swim.

I don't think there will be an influx of latinos here in Hawai'i anytime soon... too much of a swim.
    I'll take that bet.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Quote Originally Posted by makepagirl
    MY THING IS HOW CAN A HERITAGE BE TAKEN FROM SOME BUT THEN ANOTHER BE FORCED ON OTHERS.
    Mexicans have also had their heritage stripped from them. Now they have colonial heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by makepagirl
    I'M CONFUSED..OFFENDED...I REALLY NEEDED TO VENT.WE ARE ALL EQUAL.
    There is no such thing as equality in the real world. Big business loves cheap labor. They could care less what language mexicans speak...as long as the mexicans work for little pay.

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin
    I'll take that bet.
    Too expensive for them and not enough jobs.
    Last edited by PoiBoy; February 26th, 2007 at 07:03 AM.

Sounds as if the backlash has begun.

My 'ohana constantly gets spoken to in Spanish over here in So Cal. Our first week living here we got discriminated against at a drive in theater. People there refused to talk to us and take our food order because they thought we were Mexican. Sadly that wasn't the last time something like that happened to us. Makes ya defensive when you are discriminated against over being something that ain't even in your koko.

Which brings us back to the, "It sucks when people don't realize what you are ethnically," subject. I just politely say I'm not of Mexican heritage and don't speak Spanish. Of course saying that has bit me in da okole too as there are some Mexicans who hear me say that and think I'm one of those Mexicans who are ashamed of their heritage. I'm no high makamaka, jus being honest but they don't believe me. Tis why I stay more Pake in my skin tone these days. I don't get asked if I habla Espanol anymore.

Yes, you are wrong.

Spanish is the second most common language in the U.S.

It's spoken by more people in the Americas than English.

Apparently anyone living in the South long enough might be infected by the endemic bigotry of the region. Shame that that includes Hawaiians. Latinos are here to stay folks. Coming to a town near you.
    The fact that warning signs and product instructions are written in Spanish as well as English is often just for safety's sake.

When I lived in NY and worked in a county hospital many, if not a majority, of my patients spoke Spanish. It was pretty much a matter of safety that we spoke Spanish and had interpreters on hand to explain complicated matters, such as consents for surgery and procedures.

Outside of health care settings it is often a matter of economics. If the sale signs are in Spanish, well, people who read Spanish may be attracted to the sales. Money talks, in any language.

My kids are half Hispanic. Some of my grandkids are three-quarters Hispanic. When the kids who are more darkly complected come here they're often mistaken for local. My brown-eyed daughter is rarely asked to present proof of residency for kama'aina rates. The lighter-skinned kids are asked where they're from and how long they'll be staying here.

Oh well. I guess in this world of increasingly multi-ethnic folks the people who are really terribly concerned about being correctly identified according to their race or ethnic heritage by complete strangers should perhaps consider having t-shirts printed up announcing their background. In several languages, of course.

And make them up in keiki sizes too. It's only going to get more complicated.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 26th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.

LOL....I am starting to hear more and more Mexican Spanish spoken here. The other day at Costco in Hawaii Kai I heard it and turned around. Several men in hard hats and work clothes, accompanied by some women and children, shopping.

FWIH there are a lot of Mexican laborers in the drywall business here and on Maui.

By the way, they have been known to fly in planes. They towel off after swimming, too.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; February 26th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

I'll take that bet.
    I don't make bets but I'd be interested in hearing your perspectives on the matter. Hawai'i is a long way from the ContUS and as we all know,the cost of living is very high. It's not like latinos are going to come here looking for work they way the do in other states on the continent.Unless you are talking about rich latinos.Please share your insight.

tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?

pax

Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?
    Some folks have identity issues. She brings that up almost every time she posts.

I like the part how she stays out of the sun so people won't mistaken her for a Mexican.

I don't make bets but I'd be interested in hearing your perspectives on the matter. Hawai'i is a long way from the ContUS and as we all know,the cost of living is very high. It's not like latinos are going to come here looking for work they way the do in other states on the continent.Unless you are talking about rich latinos.Please share your insight.
    As TimKona in his soft-hearted way has indicated before, if you're hard working and reliable you can go far in Hawaii. Among latinos, Mexicans especially, epitomize these values. Locals would do well to teach latinos to surf as soon as they arrive to lessen their impact on the local work ethic. They also know how to control living costs and send money home/save.
    I saw a George Lopez act on TV where he was saying that FEMA was rebuilding New Orleans. Find Every Mexican Available.

They're here, Keanu:

http://starbulletin.com/2002/10/10/news/story10.html

My 'ohana up here (mom, dad, sisters, brother and myself) have corrected people nicely (full of smiles and aloha) only to be called a liar and get told we are sad people for being ashamed of who we are. That's where it gets wrong and irritating, this happens more than occasionally.

It's not the people who wonder what we (my 'ohana) are, or even come up speaking another language that get me all huhu but the ones who fight with me and try to tell me what my or my 'ohana's real ethnic background is, accuse us of hiding it, call us names and get all snooty about it. There's nothing pono bout dat. I know I'd never do that to someone.

Hawai'i touts its low unemployment rate across the country, and like Sinjin says, Latino families have extremely strong family values. If they can put food on the table and their family stays together, they will work 3 or 4 jobs if they have to, and will cram 6 people into a one bedroom apartment if that's all they can afford.

Hispanic immigrant families do what other families from other countries in the past have done: they work hard in low paying jobs, but they do whatever they have to to try to make better lives for their kids. It's something that a lot of other families 3 or 4 generations removed from being immigrants forget.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast