Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    My Bedroom
    Posts
    606

    Angry Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    As TimKona in his soft-hearted way has indicated before, if you're hard working and reliable you can go far in Hawaii. Among latinos, Mexicans especially, epitomize these values. Locals would do well to teach latinos to surf as soon as they arrive to lessen their impact on the local work ethic. They also know how to control living costs and send money home/save.
    I saw a George Lopez act on TV where he was saying that FEMA was rebuilding New Orleans. Find Every Mexican Available.
    There are already hard working reliable locals and I'm sure they would not be happy at the thought of Mexicans moving here and taking their jobs.

    I don't find the local work ethic comment particularly funny. My parents worked their local asses off so we'd be able to live comfortably at home in Hawai'i. I don't think "Mexicans" are any harder working or any more reliable than those that already live here.

    Fwiw, not to paint with too broad a brush but there are already a wealth of kooks taking up space in our lineups, the last thing local surfers need is more.
    Last edited by Keanu; February 26th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    mo far.
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoiBoy View Post
    Some folks have identity issues. She brings that up almost every time she posts.

    I like the part how she stays out of the sun so people won't mistaken her for a Mexican.
    Because it gets old to argue with people, very old. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't refreshing the last few years to not have to deal with comments about being a "liar" and ashamed of this so called Mexican heritage I must have. Is it right for someone to say to me, "Oh so you are one of THOSE Mexicans who want to be different, why are you so ashamed?" and go on and on about it.

    And I was posting about the topic at hand, not making a new thread. Many people have posted on this thread before me about similar things. I don't have any identity issues, I know who I am. I'm proud of every ancestor I have, not just one group of them and know that they all make up me as a person. That doesn't make me confused at all. I still don't understand how I have identity issues?

  3. #28

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeiKaina View Post
    My 'ohana up here (mom, dad, sisters, brother and myself) have corrected people nicely (full of smiles and aloha) only to be called a liar and get told we are sad people for being ashamed of who we are. That's where it gets wrong and irritating, this happens more than occasionally.

    It's not the people who wonder what we (my 'ohana) are, or even come up speaking another language that get me all huhu but the ones who fight with me and try to tell me what my or my 'ohana's real ethnic background is, accuse us of hiding it, call us names and get all snooty about it. There's nothing pono bout dat. I know I'd never do that to someone.
    does this happen so frequently, Leikaina? And a simple, "I'm sorry, but Hawaiians don't speak Spanish. Aloha!" with a smile wouldn't suffice?

    ======
    edited to add, on the east coast, I got Puerto Rican a lot, and that was how I would address it. Although my experiences weren't offensive to me, I do not presume to say what should or should not be regarded as offensive to you.

    pax

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    mo far.
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Does anyone watch Carlos Mencia? He had a whole skit about how when he landed in Hawai'i when he was on vacation he thought he was deported and was really in Mexico.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    does this happen so frequently, Leikaina? And a simple, "I'm sorry, but Hawaiians don't speak Spanish."
    >>TIC<<

    Some do. It can be learned, like any other language.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keanu View Post
    I don't find the local work ethic comment particularly funny. My parents worked their local asses off so we'd be able to live comfortably at home in Hawai'i. I don't think "Mexicans" are any harder working or any more reliable than those that already live here.
    Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that there are no hard working people in Hawaii. Only that those who take things a little more casually will be further marginalized by people like many Mexicans.

    Fwiw, not to paint with too broad a brush but there are already a wealth of kooks taking up space in our lineups, the last thing local surfers need is more.
    FWIW plenty of Mexicans already surf.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    mo far.
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Pua'i, I think I'm just jaded because of how often it really has happened, and still happens a lot to my mother, to my father, etc,. To the point where there had been rumors at their work about them making up their heritage because of being ashamed Mexicans.

    Yes, walking away would be the right thing to do when someone starts that stuff with me. It's just that when they get an attitude about my more than kind response, and names start being called, I see red. I have issues walking away when someone is saying something false about me. I'm also too nice for my own good, I never get rude back with them, then I bottle it all up.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    My Bedroom
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post

    FWIW plenty of Mexicans already surf.
    You're going to have to excuse my dismissiveness, Sinjin. Those of us who grew up surfing here have a different perspective on the matter. Few Mexican surfers are the "Bobby Martinez" type. My intial sentiments on kooks still stand.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    My Bedroom
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeiKaina View Post
    Pua'i, I think I'm just jaded because of how often it really has happened, and still happens a lot to my mother, to my father, etc,. To the point where there had been rumors at their work about them making up their heritage because of being ashamed Mexicans.

    (
    My sister says the same thing... Mexicans get irritated at her because they think she's ashamed of her heritage by refusing to admit that she's mexican. She tells them "I'm Hawaiian"..they still don't get it.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keanu View Post
    You're going to have to excuse my dismissiveness, Sinjin. Those of us who grew up surfing here have a different perspective on the matter. Few Mexican surfers are the "Bobby Martinez" type. My intial sentiments on kooks still stand.
    Bobby Martinez is not a Mexican. He's from Santa Barbara, CA. I know what you mean though. Hawaiians invented surfing. Californians just perfected it.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  11. #36

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    >>TIC<<

    Some do. It can be learned, like any other language.
    <giggle>

    ok. Hawaiians don't speak Spanish, although there is neither law nor biological reason prohibiting the development of such ability.

    Sorry for making you twitch. Obviously, I could have written that more concisely.

    pax

  12. #37

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    tangent: who among us has not be mistaken for being of another ethnic background? Why is this an offense? Just because we aren't <enter ethnicity HERE> why smart over it?
    On the couple of rare occasions when locals assumed I was Potagee (as opposed to plain ol' vanilla Haole), I took it as a compliment - until I wondered if they thought I was talking too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeiKaina View Post
    Does anyone watch Carlos Mencia? He had a whole skit about how when he landed in Hawai'i when he was on vacation he thought he was deported and was really in Mexico.
    Kermet Apio has a bit about touring in small American towns, and how the smaller the airport he's in, the more "Arabic" he seems to look.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; February 26th, 2007 at 12:59 PM.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    <giggle>

    Sorry for making you twitch. Obviously, I could have written that more concisely.
    The >>TIC<< was for "tongue-in-cheek," not an involuntary fasciculation.

    And no need to apologize. I look back on some of my own posts, cringe, and wish they'd allow us limitless editing capabilities on this forum.

  14. #39

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    The >>TIC<< was for "tongue-in-cheek," not an involuntary fasciculation.

    And no need to apologize. I look back on some of my own posts, cringe, and wish they'd allow us limitless editing capabilities on this forum.
    fasci-shilisha-fashy-zulosho-simple-squamous-cel-ebration...hah?

    pax

  15. #40

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    ... the smaller the airport he's in, the more "Arabic" he seems to look.
    ...which is about as scary as getting the Tongan Crip shaka every time my husband passes the Rockies...

    pax

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pāhoa, Hawai'i
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    <giggle>

    ok. Hawaiians don't speak Spanish, although there is neither law nor biological reason prohibiting the development of such ability.
    Way back in 1555 (or about 223 years before James Cook and his ilk landed here), a Spanish navigator named Juan Gaetano and his crew (comprised of Spaniards, Mexicans, Pilipinos, Chamorros, and Africans) dropped anchor in Hawai'i. As sailors are wont to do, several of them probably became quite familiar with some of the local wahine and made contributions to several kanaka maoli bloodlines. Jump to 1793, and we have Don Francisco de Paula Marin (aka "Don Manini"), an Andalusian who became a servant to Kamehameha, cultivated the first coffee trees in Hawai'i, and sired about three dozen children with various kanaka maoli wahine (and others). And then we have the paniolo....

    Statistically, it's likely that some Latinos and kanaka maoli have several ancestors in common. Thus, it's kind of silly for a kanaka maoli to be insulted if Latinos can't distinguish a Hawaiiano from any population group that has had contact with Spanish explorers, sailors, settlers, etc.

    And I know several kanaka maoli (myself included) that can speak "pocho Spanish" with a reasonable degree of proficiency.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    I don't look Spanish or Hawaiian, (no really) and always get a kick out of answering in decent Spanish to anybody talking around or about me. It's even better when I hear Japanese, though my responses are less than fluent.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    Hawaiians invented surfing.
    Nope, Polynesians invented surfing.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,519

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoiBoy View Post
    Nope, Polynesians invented surfing.
    He'enalu (surfing) was invented in Hawaii and has been practiced here for hundreds of years.

    From http://www.litoralvirtual.com.br/ubatuba/esporte_i.htm

    The Hawaiians invented surfing. The "Ubatubans" feel obliged. The great navigator James Cook described the strange sport he saw in 1778 when visiting the islands. The habit of "riding" waves conquered the world when a Hawaiian became an olympic swimming champion and divulged surfing internationally, for it helped him with the training his victory. Duke Khamanoku became the first international surfstar conquering North Americans, Europeans and Australians. After him generations of champions followed his steps.

    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    He'enalu (surfing) was invented in Hawaii and has been practiced here for hundreds of years.

    From http://www.litoralvirtual.com.br/ubatuba/esporte_i.htm

    The Hawaiians invented surfing. The "Ubatubans" feel obliged. The great navigator James Cook described the strange sport he saw in 1778 when visiting the islands. The habit of "riding" waves conquered the world when a Hawaiian became an olympic swimming champion and divulged surfing internationally, for it helped him with the training his victory. Duke Khamanoku became the first international surfstar conquering North Americans, Europeans and Australians. After him generations of champions followed his steps.

    Auntie Lynn
    Google doesn't tell all auntie. Please don't quote google when it comes to Polynesian History.

    Polynesian invented surfing. Tahitians, Maori, Moriori, Samoans, & Tongans all have have surfed. It's in the oral history of the people.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    great navigator James Cook
    lol, yeah, he was great
    Last edited by PoiBoy; February 27th, 2007 at 08:06 AM.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,519

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoiBoy View Post
    Google doesn't tell all auntie. Please don't quote google when it comes to Polynesian History.

    Polynesian invented surfing. Tahitians, Maori, Moriori, Samoans, & Tongans all have have surfed. It's in the oral history of the people.
    My Bad. I'll stay outta dis one den.

    Carry on.

    Auntie Lynn dee google Queen!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    In a way Hawaiians did invent surfing...because it was(from what I read) a part of their culture. It wasn't a part of any other islands culture. The other islands had some random dude on a wood board and occasionally he stood up. It wasn't common in the other islands.

    So the Hawaiians did invent surfing.
    Last edited by PoiBoy; February 27th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown
    Posts
    1,414

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoiBoy View Post
    In a way Hawaiians did invent surfing...because it was(from what I read) a part of their culture. It wasn't a part of any other islands culture.
    And the Hawaiians stood up. Btw Capt. Cook navigated more oceans and logged more sea miles than any Polynesian ever had.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

  24. #49

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    Btw Capt. Cook navigated more oceans and logged more sea miles than any Polynesian ever had.
    and he made a great bowl of Lono stew for Valentine's Feast.

    pax

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Am I Wrong To Feel This Way?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    And the Hawaiians stood up.
    So did the other Polynesians.

    Btw Capt. Cook navigated more oceans and logged more sea miles than any Polynesian ever had.

    Polynesians were sailing half way across the world before cooks birth even had potential.
    Polynesian interisland connections went on for thousands of years. Polynesians didn't just land on one island then stay there. It was common for them to sail back and forth between islands. There is even evidence that we sailed to the Americas.

    btw. capt. cook got cooked.

    Good one sinjin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •