What do you believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What do you believe?

I grew up mocking the Bakkers all my life. In my latter 30's, I had come to appreciate each of them, mostly because of their son Jay and his work. I began to appreciate TF and her grace and character. She never publicly said an unkind word about anyone. Life is short; the older I get, the easier it is for me to forgive, especially when people are contrite for their past actions and are doing what they need to to make a better life.

pax

Comment

I personally like George Carlin's quote of "More people have been killed in the name of GOD, than any other single reason".

Historically, organized religion, while good for ALOT of people, DOES pit one organization against another, hence the wars of the past and present. It also points out the differences in people and sometimes makes judgements.

None of which are good things in my book.

I'm really intrigued by AcousticLady's Yoga philosophy. I'd love to hear more about that.

But if you need a place to pray, and a bible to guide you...cool by me. Just don't judge me or try to change my views because I don't. If ever feel I need it, I know it's there, and I'll seek it out.

Regarding Heaven :

If GOD and Jesus were as forgiving as they are said to be, wouldn't they forgive a non-believing person when they arrive at Judgement day, and say..."See, I told you so" ?

Maybe they'd give them a toothbrush and make them scrub the floors for a week.

As long as they've been good people, they should be allowed into heaven too, if there actually IS a heaven, that is.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Tikiyaki, yes! "As long as...." this is just what I believe, that they will say "I told ya so" but what determines if we make heaven will be all of our secret thoughts within us, our motives and of course how we acted upon and out of our secret heart of hearts. Per some of God's own message in His bible, He can't send a person to hell that has a pure heart, and His bible that says some specifics, those "I told ya so" things....also says that a person that does righteousness IS righteous and the righteous go to heaven.

God can't per these words send a person to hell that didn't realize who and what Jesus was, cuz that stuff resides in the intellect, just as there will be people that said the name Jesus every day, prayed to that name, and yet they will go to hell if and because darkness resided in them, etc.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          Maybe they'd give them a toothbrush and make them scrub the floors for a week.
          Lol...not at beleivers, just at the joke.

If the movie 'Dogma' is in any way accurate, I'd love to go to heaven. I love Skeeball (I've honestly located an affordable used one on the mainland and am saving for it to be bought and brought to my parent's house...not to mention the old sit-in Star Wars game...the same version they had at Ice Palace.)

Plus, Alannis is cute! Funny how they made her 'voice' destructive in the movie...just like in real life

'...would she_____________in a theatre...'
          Last edited by DKP; July 26, 2007, 02:21 PM.
          Sing with me, everyone!
          "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
          like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
          http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

I am not completely agnostic, as agnostic people believe that it is impossible for us to know if there a God. However, I do not acknowledge or recognize faith in any one particular God in his many different variations and forms through organized religion like churches.

I do believe that there are far too many coincidences and "miracles" that exist in science and nature that it would be plausible that it all just happened by accident without some intelligent design. But I also believe that if God does exist, that he doesn't mean for us to know whether or not he is there. Faith or lack thereof is simply another choice we have through the gift of free will, and I think that God intended for us to come to our own individual determination as to his existance.

So I believe in God, not by influence of any church or religious group, but because I look at the world and cannot imagine that it could come to pass without an outside influence. I have faith in his benevolence, and that he isn't a God that requires anyone to acknowledge his existance.
            Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
              I am not completely agnostic, as agnostic people believe that it is impossible for us to know if there a God.

So I believe in God, not by influence of any church or religious group, but because I look at the world and cannot imagine that it could come to pass without an outside influence. I have faith in his benevolence, and that he isn't a God that requires anyone to acknowledge his existance.
              If you believe in God then you're not agnostic (or completely). Agnostics simply don't know if a god exists or not. They take neither side.

I tend to cringe when I have to label myself as a Christian Protestant. I am a believer in Christ but the word Christian has taken on a negative conotation due to extremists and athiests who chose to lump all Christians and non-believers as the reason for the ills of the world.

I for once would like to see a religion that accepts all who believe in a higher being that we can respect. There may be only one Christian road to Heaven but that doesn't mean there may be many roads leading to the same place. One is Christian, another Islam, whatever. For Athiests their road is a culdesac where it doesn't go anywhere, but hey that's okay because they choose to believe there is no after life so life itself is a dead end at the end of their mortal journeys.

I as most religious people tend to believe our mortal lives is just the beginning of a longer more appreciative life and that our life on earth is the proving grounds for that higher realm.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I believe in comics.
                http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2007-08-07/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X