Overrated: John Dominis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated: John Dominis

We went to John Dominis Sunday evening. I was given a $100 gift certificate Christmas 2005 and I thought we'd better use it.
    My husband's ahi was tasteless, as was the caper beurre blanc that smothered it. My onaga with crab was unsensational. For entrees at $27 and $35 respectively, this restaurant is full of itself. I can overlook the little boats the food appears on and the miniature wine glasses that probably came from Woolworths way back when. The service was pretty good, though. I felt like our waiter, our bus gal and the cocktail gal were attentive and friendly.
    This place is all about real estate. It looks like the airport inside. It sounds like the airport inside (muzak). It smells like the airport inside (carnation lei). The table of seniors next to us had a discussion about all the pancakes they can eat at the Wailana; and then they wanted to know if the philodendrons hanging from the ceiling were banyan vines.
    Have you ever heard of a chef associated with this restaurant? I don't think so.
    What's the big deal? This is Howard Johnsons' on an ego trip. Take out your dentures and the food melts in your mouth.
    The owners of this place ought to rethink its mission. I doubt it's making any money. It's sleepy in there. We attended Sunday brunch there 12 years ago and it was pretty good--back then.
    It needs inspiration. They need to hire and promote a talented chef and kitchen staff. They need to liven up the menu. It's totally pre PacRim.
    As we were leaving, a geriatric-type host informed us that our taxi for our ride back to Waikiki was on its way. We just smiled and walked over to the surf parking lot and got in our van.
    Happy to be rid of my gift certificate but in need of an infusion of noisy youth--we went home to be with our lively kids.
    No stars.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Overrated: John Dominis

I happen to agree with you. Several years ago, after hearing much praise for the place, I decided to use a friend visiting from the Mainland as an excuse to go there. I didn't mind the old-school atmosphere or old-school menu--but I did expect it to be more flavorful. My friend and I were both not impressed and felt our money would have been better spent elsewhere. Service was good, though.

I like to give places a second chance, just to make sure my first impression was not due to my going on an "off-night," but after the above review, I'll save my money for other places!

I know they used to try to promote the place as a late-night hotspot for a while; anybody know if that is still going on?

Comment

I've never eaten at JD, but if we're talking overrated restaurants, I'll submit the Chart House. My family ate there a couple of Christmases ago. My $58 lobster was cold, and no one in our party was entirely happy with their dinner. Overrated, overpriced. I like the food downstairs at the Harbor Pub much more.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

You can also add The Cheescake Factory to that list. Sure, they have great tasting, but expensive cheesecakes, but the food isn't anything special or the service. I felt like we were herded in, then herded out.......with an $85+ ticket for me, my wife, and 5 year old daughter.

My favorite part was when they said "Chris, party of 3" and three Chris's with a party of three came to the podium to be seated. They were completely lost at what to do. I had to take charge and ask them to seat the other two parties first.

I'll stick with Asaggio's in Mililani for nice dining.

DD
        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

heck, add all the restaurants on the top floors of both Ala Moana S.C. and Ward Warehouse.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post

I know they used to try to promote the place as a late-night hotspot for a while; anybody know if that is still going on?
            AFAIK it's been years since they had any late night parties at John Dominis. I went to a few of them when it first started and wasn't at all impressed. Snooty fake crowd + overpriced drinks = not my thing.

I had to make reservation for their Perry and Price Breakfast Buffet this morning for my office staff because we'll be promoting an upcoming event. Good thing it's going to be on the office's tab because there's NWIH I'd pay $24.95 for a stupid breakfast. And this is all I'll be getting. Honestly, the actual breakfast itself is probably worth $4.95 and $20 is for the John Dominis name.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Kinda sparse and slim pickin's for $24.95! I'd expect omelot stations at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                Kinda sparse and slim pickin's for $24.95! I'd expect omelot stations at that price.
                I hear you!

I've had `onolicious omelets from Kahea Ai cafeteria (a la Sodexho Marriott) for $3.95. These omelets were so freaking delicious despite using EASY EGGS (out of the carton, mind you)!

But like I said. The buffet's on my company's tab, so all I have to do is show up and look and sound pretty!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  heck, add all the restaurants on the top floors of both Ala Moana S.C. and Ward Warehouse.
                  Pass me some of whatever you're smoking...

I'll take lunch at the Pineapple Room anytime, as long as you're buying. Dinner at Morton's, too. Even Sunday brunch at Longhi's.

Kincaid's is quality. And down the street at Ward Centre, you can have a nice meal at Brew Moon or Ryan's.

Different atmosphere at all of them, and different price points as well.

Personally, if I were to go to John Dominis, I would sit in the lounge. But from what I remember, cocktail prices were kind of high.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    Pass me some of whatever you're smoking...

I'll take lunch at the Pineapple Room anytime, as long as you're buying. Dinner at Morton's, too. Even Sunday brunch at Longhi's.

Kincaid's is quality. And down the street at Ward Centre, you can have a nice meal at Brew Moon or Ryan's.

Different atmosphere at all of them, and different price points as well.

Personally, if I were to go to John Dominis, I would sit in the lounge. But from what I remember, cocktail prices were kind of high.
                    oh please, go smoke your own money. Been to a whole slew of them and overall none of my experiences was worth the tab. I would rather spend it at Aku Bone or Side Streets with more (and better) food and have a much better time.

pax

Comment

Been to a whole slew of them and overall none of my experiences was worth the tab. I would rather spend it at Aku Bone or Side Streets with more (and better) food and have a much better time.
                      You're willing to overpay at Side Street (for serving sizes that have gotten smaller over the years), but won't try the new menu (and drink quality, locally-produced beer) at Brew Moon? Whatever.

You get what you pay for. I like the steak at Aku Bone, but wouldn't think of comparing it to what's served at Morton's. And I wouldn't dream of taking a date to Side Street when Kincaid's has delivered for me in the past.

Again, if you're going to paint all restaurants within a certain geographical area with such a broad brush, then pass me some of whatever it is you're smoking...
                      Last edited by Palolo Joe; February 28, 2007, 07:39 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

...rubs temples and considers making a graph where x=enjoyment, y=price and plots joints of varying cachet...opts instead to roll eye and scrap the idea, because x invariably =desire to communicate said point, y =time it takes to do so and do we really need a slope to tell us how nifty Morton's steaks are compared to AB or a parabola to talk about cost of rent passed on to consumer? The reality for me is I am a wary consumer and prefer more value for the buck; food-wise and entertainment-wise. Trendy ambience and pan-Pacific fusion™ is very hit and miss with me; as often as I am impressed, I get turned off by pretention.

Gimme a gem in the wall anyday, unless I have a killer view, which then means x increases exponentially.

pax

Comment

...rubs temples and considers making a graph where x=enjoyment, y=price and plots joints of varying cachet...opts instead to roll eye and scrap the idea, because x invariably =desire to communicate said point, y =time it takes to do so and do we really need a slope to tell us how nifty Morton's steaks are compared to AB or a parabola to talk about cost of rent passed on to consumer? The reality for me is I am a wary consumer and prefer more value for the buck; food-wise and entertainment-wise. Trendy ambience and pan-Pacific fusion™ is very hit and miss with me; as often as I am impressed, I get turned off by pretention.

Gimme a gem in the wall anyday, unless I have a killer view, which then means x increases exponentially.
                          Your narrow-mindedness only underscores how fatuous your original comment was. Comparing EVERY restaurant atop Ala Moana and Ward Warehouse to the current atmosphere at John Dominis is just plain silly.

Have fun at SS and AB. You'll never know what you're missing.

Comment

Wow, all that for $25? You guys should go to Makino Chaya instead =p

IMO, I liked Brew Moon when it first came out, the Roquefort Steak was amazing and deadly. Last time I went, I wasnt impressed.
                            I'll take Hys, Bistro, or Paesano any day.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              Your narrow-mindedness only underscores how fatuous your original comment was. Comparing EVERY restaurant atop Ala Moana and Ward Warehouse to the current atmosphere at John Dominis is just plain silly.

Have fun at SS and AB. You'll never know what you're missing.
                              fatuous? Uh, no. It was a pithy, sweeping generalization, which is what you should expect out of two simple sentences. Stop being nitpicky, anal and presumptive, Joe. I enjoy myself no matter where I go; some places are better bangs for the buck (which is where this thread is going).

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X