Overrated: John Dominis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overrated: John Dominis

So I was wondering if anyone else agreed with my assessment? I wish whoever owns it (Andy Anderson?) would rethink the restaurant and get someone in there who knows how to cook and design a new menu before it burns down and turns into an insurance check.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Ive never been there, as I have always heard it was overated.
      For $25 that better be some reallllllly good ham.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Unless it was on someone's expense account, I wouldn't go there, either. There are way too many good restaurants in Honolulu (including some that never make the Best Of listings) at which to spend that kind of money.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          Stop being nitpicky, anal and presumptive, Joe. I enjoy myself no matter where I go; some places are better bangs for the buck (which is where this thread is going).
          Well, if you're going to tell me what to do...

Stop making silly statements like the one you did. Sweeping every restaurant atop Ala Moana and Ward Warehouse into the same category as John Dominis is just plain stupid.

The restaurant is still owned by Anderson. And like I've said before, the dining experience may suck, but the lounge might be a good alternative if someone still wants to go and check the place out.

Comment

To me, the restaurants serve different purposes.

Places like SS & AB are places I go to after work. Those who know me know that I used to work at AB and have been a customer since Kim opened in 2002 so I'm perfectly fine going there by myself. In fact, I'm probably headed that way in a few hours! For the record, while the food's great and I always give props to Robert the cook, I simply can't eat there anymore. I'll pick, but I can't have a full meal just because I'm just "too used" to the food.

But I also like heading to the restaurants PJ mentioned. The girls and I make it a point to hit up a happy hour twice a month because depending on the place, you can get loaded and schnockered for under $25. Kincaids and E&O are some of our favorites. Love the pupus and drink specials -- and we tend to get a lot for our $$$.

And going off on PJ's dining experience may suck but the lounge might be good -- I'd have to say the same about Diamond Head Grill/WonderLounge.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              Well, if you're going to tell me what to do...

Stop making silly statements like the one you did. Sweeping every restaurant atop Ala Moana and Ward Warehouse into the same category as John Dominis is just plain stupid.

The restaurant is still owned by Anderson. And like I've said before, the dining experience may suck, but the lounge might be a good alternative if someone still wants to go and check the place out.
              *sigh* ok, PJ. Since I was streaming along with others, to wit: Chart House, Cheesecake Factory, and thus my slur of major trendspots throughout town, allow my definitive apology, because I actually spent time thinking about it:

Brew Moon: first restaurant I ever took my laptop into. I still remember the wireless password, although I am loathe to publish it here, in case they still use it.

Down the isle is a great sports bar which had good potato skins to accompany my green bottles. Spent more hours in there than I had originally expected, but it was still an ok place to hide out with VIPs.

then there's a lovely-decorated place with a good seafood salad. The walls on the Ewa (I think) side of the restaurant are a vivid and striking rust. Lots of Kahala shirts in there on the day I went in.

As for "price points" (you using that phrase cracks me up, btw) who can forget the Yum Yum Tree. Alas. They aren't there any more. My arteries are quite relieved.

On to Ala Moana:

Mai Tai bar: if you are ever in need of attending a Kamehameha Schools reunion, head there. Damn if I could hang out there incognito. Great music, though.

That Italian restaurant upstairs. First time I ever had a waitress pour olive oil onto the table for me to dip my bread into, and called it "Italian butter". The food was good and expensive.

Same thing for Bubba Gumps. Interesting decor. Onion rings on a tube. Pass the beer.

One that I had the tangiest (not in a good way) cesear salad was at Longhi's. Pretty view, but I won't go back. Wasn't impressed. Homegenous crowd when I went there. Not my vibe.

==============
              As for Side Street's and Aku Bone, they are easy to relax in, always suprising who I know is in there (suprising, because I am not an Oahu girl) and I always leave having a really good time. Two shakas up.

ok, enough with this. As for JD's, there is that side room that makes for a lovely party. Been to one in there and had a nice time. Never had dinner in the restaurant, but the view was lovely, looking back towards Waikiki.

pax

Comment

==============
                As for Side Street's and Aku Bone, they are easy to relax in, always suprising who I know is in there (suprising, because I am not an Oahu girl) and I always leave having a really good time. Two shakas up.
                I probably saw you there (AB) I don't know how many times and I just didn't know it.

Comment

There was a time back in the Dark Ages when places like the Chart House were "the" place to be seen (remember La Ronde?). That was before people's palates became more educated and discerning.

There used to be a Chart House on Maui overlooking Kahului Harbor, and we used to think it was a big deal to be served at a table with a white tablecloth and flickering candles, etc. I think the ambiance was more important than the food was, but back then a slab of prime rib and a baked potato and Caesar salad was a celebration meal.

Flash forward now to 2007: would I still patronize a place that had classic "Continental" or "American" food? Nope. I'd rather eat in an ethnic restaurant now, both for the quality of the food and for the ambiance. And there are some pretty spendy ethnic restaurants, too, these days.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    ......there's NWIH I'd pay $24.95 for a stupid breakfast. And this is all I'll be getting. Honestly, the actual breakfast itself is probably worth $4.95 and $20 is for the John Dominis name.
                    Don't forget.........

With that price for the brunch, you also get to sit in and watch, and be a part of, the Perry & Price show.

I went to one and had a very good time. My parents got a $100 gift certificate to somewhere, I forget.

They also have audience participation for games, like trivia and so on.

I think the price tag is worth it just for the experience.....not to mention you can score some great prizes.

If you just want to eat a morning brunch, I'm partial to the Sizzlers buffet. No expectations there, just eat until you have to roll out.

DD
                    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                      Don't forget.........

With that price for the brunch, you also get to sit in and watch, and be a part of, the Perry & Price show.

I went to one and had a very good time. [...] I think the price tag is worth it just for the experience.....[...]
                      I completely agree! I attended the brunch/show last Sept. and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I was there for another purpose entirely which was fantastic on it's own. While I didn't pay for brunch I wouldn't hesitate to go again on my own nickle. The view is out of this world, the P&P show is very entertaining and the food was good regardless of what some might consider limited selections. It's now on my short list of things to do when friends visit from the mainland. Thanks for including me "you-know-who"!

The only down side? Getting up earlier than I'm used to!

Comment

*sigh* ok, PJ.
                        Whatever, Pua'i. I don't need a detailed itemization of what you think about each restaurant. Your taste is your taste. We would probably get along just fine with a plate of pupu and some beers at AB.

What I disagree with is your generalization that all the restaurants at AM and WW suck as much as JD does these days. Bull.

Brew Moon keeps coming up as an example. I bet you didn't know that the restaurant recently revamped the menu. Beers are $3 during happy hour. No reason to compare what's going on there to JD.

Guess I forgot that you're on the Big Island. Makes a little more sense as to why you would post such an ignorant statement.

Don't forget.........

I went to one and had a very good time.
                        That's true, I guess. Does Sweetie still show up every week to help keep the crowd excited? Anyone know?

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        I probably saw you there (AB) I don't know how many times and I just didn't know it.
                        Hey Lei, were you in the bar on Sunday night? Stopped in for a few with some buddies after a softball game.

Comment

Don't forget.........

With that price for the brunch, you also get to sit in and watch, and be a part of, the Perry & Price show.[...]
                          Another thought...
                          Most Sunday brunches have a turnover of customers which boosts the revenue. I didn't notice that happening the one time I was at John Dominis. The majority of customers stayed for the entire show.

Comment

john dominis was where i had my 18th birthday dinner. i was quite impressed with the gorgeous view ambience but the menu? bleh...i would have been equally happy, gastronomically, at monterey bay.

*mumble* years later (as if you couldn't readily find out me age) my opinion still stands.

HOWEVER....

the sushi bar/oyster bar/lounge are pretty darn good, if you accept that the prices will be higher than you'd pay for similar quality food at another establishment not as storied as JD. eric and i had had sushi there for a fairly late dinner. the service was excellent, the sake enjoyable (they have a sampler that includes an unfiltered sake, which i had never before tried), and the sushi and oysters were very enjoyable. plus they had live entertainment (guy who accompanied his own singing with his own guitar playing; can't remember who twas). yes, for two people, we paid in excess of a hunnert dollas but i think it was well worth it.

would it be someplace i would go often? heyell naw. but a once-in-a-while romantic dinner? yes, but only if i were in the sushi/oyster bar or lounge.

i'll chime in that comparing JD to any of the eateries in ward or ala moana referred to earlier is like comparing apples to...*shrug* jackfruit.

then again, i'm the kinda girl who can appreciate the beauty of both prime rib at ray's cafe in kalihi for $13.00 as well as prime rib at lawry's in vegas for about three times the price.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              There used to be a Chart House on Maui overlooking Kahului Harbor, and we used to think it was a big deal to be served at a table with a white tablecloth and flickering candles, etc.
                              I remember it when it was The Landing. With the train car out front.

Candles and a tablecloth? Not that big a deal.

Pool, cow skin-covered stools, and fights under the moody red light at Pizza Factory... now that was a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post

Hey Lei, were you in the bar on Sunday night? Stopped in for a few with some buddies after a softball game.
                                Nah, I wasn't. Sunday's usually my recovery night.

I tend to make my appearances every Monday (with Holunape and Kupaoa) and the occasional Thursday right after work, which is why I'm hurting right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X