CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Wow. It's all over the news -- CompUSA is having a major meltdown. They're closing more than half their stores nationwide.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/003809.html

Don't know if the Honolulu stores will be affected but I suspect they won't.

Re: CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Good thing Adrian got a job at Wal-Mart!!!!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Circuit City is also closing some of its stores and warehouses, too. But I don't think the one in Honolulu is affected.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        Circuit City is also closing some of its stores and warehouses, too. But I don't think the one in Honolulu is affected.

Miulang
        Hmm, that may explain how I got 20% off a nice camera at Circuit City

Comment

Both Hawaii locations are staying open.

Here's a list of all the stores, pretty sure it's up to date with the closures

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp
          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

I bought a mouse at Compusa and it quit working after 3 months. On the front of the box it said it was "guaranteed forever". Took it back to Compusa with the original receipt and after waiting in a long line they told me this was a "manufacturer's guarantee" and I would have to contact the manufacturer.

I won't buy anything there again. Saves me time when I read the Sunday Advertiser and don't even crack their supplement. Just toss it on the side. It's called voting with your feet.

I am waiting for Fry's to come over here.
            You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
              I bought a mouse at Compusa and it quit working after 3 months. On the front of the box it said it was "guaranteed forever". Took it back to Compusa with the original receipt and after waiting in a long line they told me this was a "manufacturer's guarantee" and I would have to contact the manufacturer.

I won't buy anything there again. Saves me time when I read the Sunday Advertiser and don't even crack their supplement. Just toss it on the side. It's called voting with your feet.

I am waiting for Fry's to come over here.
              Just a word of caution, Fry's is only good if you know what you want and you don't need any help. Also, you gotta watch out for the stuff they sell, a lot of them are returns. That's the downside of Fry's.

Comment

Is Fry's coming here?
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Fry's is down here where I am at.
                  May be a grrrreat place to shop but working there?
                  Ummmmmmmm my roomate said stay clear of them!
                  Said something in the realms that working conditions is not so hot and the pay isn't great.

As for CompUsa me thinks that they are shaving off the ones that used to be GoodGuys alongside a Tower Records store before they went belly up last year.

Comment

ho, choke places closing down lately.

Hopefully walmart doesn't close any of its stores here
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                      It is a manufacturers guarantee - most stores wont honor that. I heard Costco will take pretty much anything back, but good luck trying to take anything after 14-30 days at any other store. I wish things were like in the UK, where I heard everything has a 1 year waranty.
                      My sister bought an expensive scale that said it had a lifetime warranty - when it broke she tried to take them up on that and you know what they said? "Lifetime of the product"...
                      ...so its good until it broken? wut?

I currently like BestBuy, but mostly because of they dont have many mail-in rebates. MIR's are evil.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        I heard Costco will take pretty much anything back
                        Not anymore.
                        The...retailer has begun limiting money-back returns on TVs, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPods, MP3 players and cell phones to 90 days. Previously, there was no time limit except for personal computers, which was six months.

The change went into effect Monday in Costco's 109 California stores and begins March 12 in all 27 Washington stores...The policy also will...then move through the country until all U.S. and Puerto Rico stores adopt the 90-day return policy by April 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                          Both Hawaii locations are staying open.

Here's a list of all the stores, pretty sure it's up to date with the closures

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp

Taking a look at the link of stores listed or still in existence.......
                          The ones that are not were the ones that used to be GoodGuy Stores and they were the ones that had a Tower Records next to or attached

not listed so I assumed they closed these 2:

San Francisco - Stonestown
                          San Mateo/Hillsdale

Comment

an IT guy with whom i work also works part time at CompUSA. he said the owner recently decided to take a very close look at the business and didn't like what he saw. according to my coworker, the owner basically fired a whole bunch of people in the upper levels of management. part of the reason is that the owner believed those people allowed less successful stores to coast while more successful ones were pushed to perform to unreasonable standards.

the guy also said the hawaii CompUSAs will not be closed because they were the among the most successful in the nation. what the honolulu store does alone in sales far exceeds what several other stores do put together.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                              part of the reason is that the owner believed those people allowed less successful stores to coast while more successful ones were pushed to perform to unreasonable standards.
                              What are those "unreasonable standards"?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X