Thread: CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Default CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Wow. It's all over the news -- CompUSA is having a major meltdown. They're closing more than half their stores nationwide.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/003809.html

Don't know if the Honolulu stores will be affected but I suspect they won't.

Default Re: CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Good thing Adrian got a job at Wal-Mart!!!!

Circuit City is also closing some of its stores and warehouses, too. But I don't think the one in Honolulu is affected.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
    Circuit City is also closing some of its stores and warehouses, too. But I don't think the one in Honolulu is affected.

Miulang
    Hmm, that may explain how I got 20% off a nice camera at Circuit City

Both Hawaii locations are staying open.

Here's a list of all the stores, pretty sure it's up to date with the closures

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

I bought a mouse at Compusa and it quit working after 3 months. On the front of the box it said it was "guaranteed forever". Took it back to Compusa with the original receipt and after waiting in a long line they told me this was a "manufacturer's guarantee" and I would have to contact the manufacturer.

I won't buy anything there again. Saves me time when I read the Sunday Advertiser and don't even crack their supplement. Just toss it on the side. It's called voting with your feet.

I am waiting for Fry's to come over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I bought a mouse at Compusa and it quit working after 3 months. On the front of the box it said it was "guaranteed forever". Took it back to Compusa with the original receipt and after waiting in a long line they told me this was a "manufacturer's guarantee" and I would have to contact the manufacturer.

I won't buy anything there again. Saves me time when I read the Sunday Advertiser and don't even crack their supplement. Just toss it on the side. It's called voting with your feet.

I am waiting for Fry's to come over here.
    Just a word of caution, Fry's is only good if you know what you want and you don't need any help. Also, you gotta watch out for the stuff they sell, a lot of them are returns. That's the downside of Fry's.

Is Fry's coming here?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Fry's is down here where I am at.
    May be a grrrreat place to shop but working there?
    Ummmmmmmm my roomate said stay clear of them!
    Said something in the realms that working conditions is not so hot and the pay isn't great.

As for CompUsa me thinks that they are shaving off the ones that used to be GoodGuys alongside a Tower Records store before they went belly up last year.

ho, choke places closing down lately.

Hopefully walmart doesn't close any of its stores here
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It is a manufacturers guarantee - most stores wont honor that. I heard Costco will take pretty much anything back, but good luck trying to take anything after 14-30 days at any other store. I wish things were like in the UK, where I heard everything has a 1 year waranty.
    My sister bought an expensive scale that said it had a lifetime warranty - when it broke she tried to take them up on that and you know what they said? "Lifetime of the product"...
    ...so its good until it broken? wut?

I currently like BestBuy, but mostly because of they dont have many mail-in rebates. MIR's are evil.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    I heard Costco will take pretty much anything back
    Not anymore.
    The...retailer has begun limiting money-back returns on TVs, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPods, MP3 players and cell phones to 90 days. Previously, there was no time limit except for personal computers, which was six months.

The change went into effect Monday in Costco's 109 California stores and begins March 12 in all 27 Washington stores...The policy also will...then move through the country until all U.S. and Puerto Rico stores adopt the 90-day return policy by April 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Both Hawaii locations are staying open.

Here's a list of all the stores, pretty sure it's up to date with the closures

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp

Taking a look at the link of stores listed or still in existence.......
    The ones that are not were the ones that used to be GoodGuy Stores and they were the ones that had a Tower Records next to or attached

not listed so I assumed they closed these 2:

San Francisco - Stonestown
    San Mateo/Hillsdale

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

an IT guy with whom i work also works part time at CompUSA. he said the owner recently decided to take a very close look at the business and didn't like what he saw. according to my coworker, the owner basically fired a whole bunch of people in the upper levels of management. part of the reason is that the owner believed those people allowed less successful stores to coast while more successful ones were pushed to perform to unreasonable standards.

the guy also said the hawaii CompUSAs will not be closed because they were the among the most successful in the nation. what the honolulu store does alone in sales far exceeds what several other stores do put together.

Question Re: CompUSA closes more than half its stores

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    part of the reason is that the owner believed those people allowed less successful stores to coast while more successful ones were pushed to perform to unreasonable standards.
    What are those "unreasonable standards"?

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    What are those "unreasonable standards"?
    dunno. like i said, this was in conversation with my coworker, but i believe my coworker meant something like unreasonable sales goals, and the like.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

I was in Honolulu Wednesday and went to CompUSA to do my version of the Costco run.

I had a laptop battery I needed to replace so I asked the girl at the front that greeted me. She looked at me blankly and said, "Ummm try the notebook department".

I went to the "Notebook" department and found this older chinese sales associate. I asked him if CompUSA sold laptop batteries. He said in a very heavy chinese accent, "This kind battery only good for four or five charges after that no good."

I looked at him a bit puzzled and astonished, "This is a Lithium-Ion battery that can take a thousand charges. It's on it's 1004th so I need another".

"No can only good for five charges, we no sell batteries like that" he said.

Obviously this is one uninformed sales associate, I moved on. I asked another sales associate who was in his early twenties and looked geeky enough to know what I was talking about.

He looks at my basket of computer stuff I was planning on purchasing already and while asking him about the battery, he interrupts me and asks, "Can I put my stickers on these items you're buying so I can get credit for it?"

Not only did he not help me getting the other stuff, but he couldn't help me with my battery! I started walking away feeling very frustrated (much like our Home Depot customers) and he stuck it on anyway. The tag read: BEN C. 263938 dated 2/28/07. Man he would have gotten them on all of the boxes of stuff I was buying if I hadn't walked away faster. Sheeze what vultures!

I really wish CompUSA would hire experienced people. I took this experience with me back to my job at Home Depot Hilo and vowed never to act like that and to really give what the customer expects. It's all about customer service and my experience at CompUSA really opened my eyes from a customer's perspective. You come to Home Depot Hilo and ask for me and I'll give you first class service. You can bet on that.

And now the clincher. I washed all the rebate receipts when I washed my pants yesterday. Oh well there went about $100 worth of rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I was in Honolulu Wednesday and went to CompUSA to do my version of the Costco run.

I had a laptop battery I needed to replace
    For the most part you can only get laptop batteries from the manufacture, however there are several stores online that carry them,but as far as I know there are no physical store that carry laptop batteries.
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    For the most part you can only get laptop batteries from the manufacture, however there are several stores online that carry them,but as far as I know there are no physical store that carry laptop batteries.
    Fry's Electronics usually carries laptop batteries. For Apple laptops, I can also walk into an Apple Store and find usually find a selection of batteries.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

I have bought laptop batteries online, its usually cheaper then the manufacturer.

The thing about sales associates now is that most places now hire people who can sell, not people who know about the products. Techincal people who know what theyre doing go for the jobs that pay more, like IT. I've seen this is happen to Radio Shack. Remember when RS sold electronic parts? I guess you cant make alot of money from selling a transistor, some batteries and a rare earth magnet. =p

...So whats worse? A place that 1/2 the people know what they are talking about (compusa) or a place that only geeks can call home? (frys)
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I really wish CompUSA would hire experienced people. I took this experience with me back to my job at Home Depot Hilo and vowed never to act like that and to really give what the customer expects. It's all about customer service and my experience at CompUSA really opened my eyes from a customer's perspective. You come to Home Depot Hilo and ask for me and I'll give you first class service. You can bet on that.
    Yeah, only on Oahu and Maui.