Big Island - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Island - Opinions

Ahh yess.....indications of a free market in the doctoring biz.

Plenty rich folks in Kona to pay doctors for whatever. While the legislature and the Insurance Companies screw the po'folks. Nobody ever gets tired of watching the po'folks get burned in the State of Hawaii.

I was always under the impression that it was conservatism that normally keeps the po'folks down. But in Hawaii, we have had liberal political control for decades, and the po'folks is sufferin mightily.

Methinks a rat, or several, may be lurking in the dark, hallowed halls of Honolulu politics. A rat protected by the biggest dogma in the yard.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      It's true that the so-called "teaching hospitals" (where residents tend to practice) tend to be regarded as less desirable sometimes because of all those "docs in training" running around. But there's a plus side to teaching hospitals, too: that's where the docs are exposed to the latest leading edge technologies.

The Pacific NW has a regional rural healthcare medical education system (WAMI) that trains GPs and internists to work in rural communities. The UW School of Medicine is consistently recognized as the best medical school for primary care in the country. What this program does is it recruits candidates with an interest in rural medicine; many are people who come from the communities they go back to serve. If you have ties (and family) to a certain community, as a doc, I think you would be more likely to want to go back to be with your relatives and people you know than to start out someplace where you don't know anyone. Pay for rural docs isn't as high obviously as for those who go into specialties or who practice in large cities, but sometimes it's not all about the money.

Miulang
      I have pretty much worked in teaching hospitals for most of my life. I prefer working in them over private-doc hospitals, for lots of reasons. They tend to be a lot more fun, you learn more, you do more, you see the latest innovations. Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought they were inferior---I don't.

My intention was to convey to people who think this JBMS residency program on the neighbor islands is somehow going to improve health care to any great extent that I really don't think it will make a helluva big difference. I think what you will see is residents who are there because they have to be, not because they want to be.

After working with residents for decades I can say that, as stressful as the programs are, most residents understandably are just trying to make it through, learn their craft, and get on with their lives once they are finished. They have plans. Their plans often involve paying back their loans, getting great positions in the specialty of their choice, and living great lives. Sorry to say but many I have seen are not all that concerned with making the world better. Not to say that they are not conscientious but they are far from altruistic, with few exceptions. Most are young, have started or are planning on starting families, and want all the good things that go with attaining their credentials and snagging that lucrative position.

The PNW program is notable in that it actively seeks recruits who are already interested in rural medicine. Perhaps that would be something the JBMS could look into but they'd have to get over their preference for admitting rather well-off private-school grads and wealthy foreign students first.

When you see a resident who truly personifies what we all would love to see in a physician it sticks in your mind forever. I have seen them and they are among the most brilliant shining stars you could ever imagine. True gifts from God, IMHO. They are few and far between but incredibly memorable.

Here is one. I worked with him only briefly and he probably wouldn't remember me if he fell over me but he left quite an impression:

http://www.kaleimailealii.net/kawika.htm

Read the article that's linked in the site. It doesn't surprise me at all that he is travelling this road.

You'e absolutely right, Miulang---sometimes it isn't all about the money. But unfortunately, in the world of medicine, it far too often is.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what kind of senior plan my mother has but it's been good for her (here in So. Cal.) I have Kaiser & will probably continue w/ them following retirement (maybe @ 55). I know that there's a Kaiser facility in Kona. How about Hilo?

BTW: What is Quest? Sorry, having been w/ Kaiser for so long, I understand very little about med insurance.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
          I'm not exactly sure what kind of senior plan my mother has but it's been good for her (here in So. Cal.) I have Kaiser & will probably continue w/ them following retirement (maybe @ 55). I know that there's a Kaiser facility in Kona. How about Hilo?

BTW: What is Quest? Sorry, having been w/ Kaiser for so long, I understand very little about med insurance.

Thanks
          There's a Kaiser Permanente clinic (but no hospital) in Hilo, Kona and Waimea on the Big Island. For inpatient care, more than likely you'd either be flown to Honolulu for care at the Kaiser hospital there, or end up in Hilo Hospital.

Quest is the state-mandated healthplan for uninsured patients.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wow. I revisted the forum again to see what was happening and this is a very interesting thread regarding healthcare. I am lucky to have my health!!!!

I am going over week after next week as I sold my house in Atlanta very quickly and now am ready to start looking. Poor husband stays here while I go looking. I need a buyer's agent---does anyone have a good person in their address books? I really like to work with someone who is low-key and would understand the needs of a childless set of internet businesspeople....(to reduce myself down to a stereotype!).

Also, any ideas on a good vacation rental while I look?

Mahalo everyone!

Comment

There are a ton of realtors servicing the Big Island. One I highly recommend is Mary Begier. She has offices on both Oahu and the Big Island and knows both markets very well. Here is a write up from the Star Bulletin:
              http://starbulletin.com/2003/11/30/business/story2.html

One thing about the Big Island, is you want someone who is well-versed in the communities of East Hawaii (if that's the side you're thinking of). The realtor I was working with knew the Hilo market very well but wasn't too knowledgable about the Puna district other than calling it the Wild wild west. For most Hiloans that monicker resides in their minds. But upon doing my own research, I notice that Hilo isn't as innocent as Puna. As far as property crimes go, Kaimuki in Honolulu experiences more property crimes per week than all of Puna does in an entire month. So for me coming from East Honolulu that was acceptable enough.

There are neighborhoods in the Pahoa area that can be crime-ridden so you don't want a realtor selling you a Great Deal then finding out the house has been vandalized several times since being put on the market.

For excellent web-based real estate searches check out these web sites:

Hilo Brokers at: http://www.hilo-brokers.com/ and,

Hawaii Information Service at: http://www.hawaiiinformation.com/REsearch/

I used both in looking for my dreamhome here on the Big Island while living on Oahu. Both websites have information regarding the properties for sale and HIS has property tax map key information to help you decide if the property is up to date on taxes and permits, even who owns the property you are interested in and who owns the property next to you.
              Both also have photos of the properties interested.

Either site has search engines that allow you to input the MLS listing of a particular property you may know of.

Both are excellent tools when trying to find that home here on the Big Island. It makes it easy to search from the comforts of your own home instead of having to drive to each location. You get to preview the property without having to set foot in it so you save time in eliminating properties you'd have wasted time on trying to get there. Trust me it was invaluable for me and I looked at a ton of properties flying back and forth from Honolulu to the Big Island almost weekly until I found these resources. Saved me Bookoo Bucks in the process.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 22, 2007, 08:57 AM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A BIG reminder too about realtors on the Big Island .Most only work a 5 day week and are open 8:00am -5:00pm. My Cousin found this out when he moved from Oahu.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Since I'll be on a scouting trip (getting to know Hilo & the surrounding area) w/o plans to buy immediately, what's my best course of action?

Thanks

Comment

I returned from Hilo (May 18-23) w/ some good neighborhood viewing. I was impressed w/ Ainako due to its distance from town, medical center, standard of living & easy access to the PKP. Kaumana was OK too.

Someone posted that the HPP area traffic was bad & I'd have to agree. My buddy lives in H.Beaches & the access road (Kahakai off the 130) had a car going by every 5-10 seconds. Last time I visited him, a car might go by every few minutes.

All in all it was a good 1st trip. I worked w/ a realtor referred by my buddy (Denise Nakanishi of Prudential) who took 2 hrs off on a Saturday to drive me around. I made it clear that the purpose of my visit was exploratory w/ no moves for @ least 2-3 yrs yet she was very accomodating w/ NO pressure.

I noted that Hilo Hospital was undergoing an ER expansion...that was good. Let's just hope other improvments to the health care system will follow during the next 2-3 yrs. I love east HI.

Comment

I live in HPP by way of Honolulu. I find the morning commute traffic in Honolulu far worse than the morning work traffic along Hwy 130(Pahoa Town to Kea'au). As far as living on the Big Island, Puna District is the most affordable, or Ka'u District. Puna is a better situation between the two district in my opinion.
                      After living in a rental "dump" in Kapahulu for $1500.00 a month +utilities, and being told how lucky I was....I finally wised up! Yeah, lucky if I wanted to spend the rest of my life paying for someone else mortgage?!?! Sure the house was a cute little thing,(less than 700 sq ft.),good location and all. But I felt like a hamster in a cage. I was only surviving there, and nothing else.

ENTER PUNA:

Making the move to Puna made sense(cents) in so many ways. The housing market was turning soft in the islands, the time was right. So now I have a new home being built on 3rd Ave. in HPP. I can hear the ocean from my house there. I'm not calling it my dream home, because in reality my dream home can only be in one place/area on the Big Island and Puna is not it! Waimea, is where I want to build my dream/retirement home one day.
                      It's totally awesome there!

Comment

Yes Waimea is nice & expensive, I understand. If I were younger & w/o family, Puna would certainly be an option (HPP or HI Beaches). Loved the coqui frogs too.

Comment

Working...
                        X