Best/Worst McDonald's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/Worst McDonald's

I read in this morning's Advertiser about the McCafe opening up at the newly renovated Makiki McDonald's. This got me thinking about my neighborhood Pearl City McDonald's and how the service will be even worse than it has ever been if they add this service to their menu.

Pearl City has the worst service of any McD's that I've been to on Oahu. It doesn't matter whether you walk in or drive through. They're pretty messed up. Hopefully the Makiki one will remain the same, but they could push you through the drive through really quickly there. Makiki/Beretania McD's has always been my favorite pit stop when I'm in a hurry.

Re: Best/Worst McDonald's

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
    I read in this morning's Advertiser about the McCafe opening up at the newly renovated Makiki McDonald's. This got me thinking about my neighborhood Pearl City McDonald's and how the service will be even worse than it has ever been if they add this service to their menu.

Pearl City has the worst service of any McD's that I've been to on Oahu. It doesn't matter whether you walk in or drive through. They're pretty messed up. Hopefully the Makiki one will remain the same, but they could push you through the drive through really quickly there. Makiki/Beretania McD's has always been my favorite pit stop when I'm in a hurry.
    I dunno man, the liliha one always screws up my order. just the other day my wife was excited to see a double fishburger, so we ordered. of course when we got home we found out we got a single. i called in and asked to speak to a manger and she had the worst dialect, i could barely understand her. we had to drive back down and they took back the wrong burger (which my wife already touched) and gave us the correct one. i was so pissed off that we had to drive down again I thought they should have given us something for their screw up, but nope.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Everytime my family has gone to PCC, we eat at the McD's next door. Pounding food staring at their waterfall always makes me want to sing and dance "Kalua". So beeeeyooootiful!

pax

Comment

Ah, the Laie McDonald's.

Couldn't speak for the food or service, but the locale and decor make up for just about anything!

We reliably patronize the McDonald's at Manoa Marketplace. No complaints, except I've learned to just ask for ketchup packets (their pump/tanks are skanky). There are two in Mililani, and we've had more errors at the one on Kamehameha Highway than the newer on in Mililani Mauka. I'm curious about this "new" concept for Beretania. Usually the lines there drive us right across the street to Burger King.

Still, this is McDonald's we're talking about. I'm willing to pay for excellent service, but when we hit the golden arches, it's about cheap and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Still, this is McDonald's we're talking about. I'm willing to pay for excellent service, but when we hit the golden arches, it's about cheap and fast.
          I agree. That's what pisses me off when I think Jack in the Box kicked off this "we won't make it until you order it" crap. It's fast food man! Coagulated grease is that special something that makes it taste so good. If I want quality, I'd go to ummm.... Arby's? We need a Fatburger here.

Comment

The Nanakuli McD messes up my orders more than the Waianae McD. However, I have a soft spot for the Nanakuli drive thru 'cuz I got asked for my ID when I ordered a senior Diet Coke! I smiled all the way home!

When I house sit on Waialae Iki I stop at various locations...Beretania, Moiliili and Kahala. Beretania used to be my favorite when shy, sweet, elderly Ruby (wo)manned the drive thru window. I went out of my way to patronize that restaurant because of Ruby. I still miss her! I've not encountered any long lines at Moiliili nor any botched orders. Kahala, otoh, can have a line up Kilauea Ave. to the Bank of Hawaii.

Comment

They should let people order at drive-thrus via a touch screen. It's great that people who are ESL can get work, but orders get messed up. Imagine asking for a plain cheeseburger. What do you get? Cheese on a burger, right? Ya think? When you've got little kids you can't be passing back something with a pickle and onions on it. So I sit there and look at every gosh darn thing in that happy meal box before I pull away. I don't care. I've been burned too many times.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

True story: I recently walked in (not drove through) the Aina Haina McDonald's to order a regular fries. That's it (it's the only thing I like there, beside the Filet-O-Fish).

The manager (trainee?) takes my order, then begins to make a vanilla ice cream cone, which I thought was for someone else.

He turns around and hands me the ice cream cone, to which I intervene, "um, I just ordered fries". He immediately realized he just screwed up, we both laugh, he ponders looking at it for a second then looks at me and says, "you want it?". "Sure!". So he gives me the ice cream cone for free (since he'd have to otherwise throw it away), makes my order of fries and sends me off as a happy 2-for-$1 (though expectedly so) customer!

I'm not so sure about the combination of vanilla ice cream and fries though.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  They should let people order at drive-thrus via a touch screen.
                  You really wanna touch a screen that's been touched by countless other fingers that have been who-knows-where, then use that same finger to cram fries into your mouth? Ewwww.....! (Sorry - channeling a somewhat germophobic friend there.)

Comment

Haven't been to Mickey D's for a while but this thread caused me to hit the one in Kaneohe for lunch just now. Fast, friendly folks, got my order right, food was fresh and as good as I've found at any other McDonald's.
                    Now, if only the view there was as good as the view from John Dominis...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      You really wanna touch a screen that's been touched by countless other fingers that have been who-knows-where, then use that same finger to cram fries into your mouth? Ewwww.....! (Sorry - channeling a somewhat germophobic friend there.)
                      OH MY GAWDDD NOOOOOOO! You are so right. RETHINK That. Gosh, edit that! Please, someone delete my entry!
                      I have to say, though, I still carry diaper wipes in the car. I can wipe it down, or use it over my finger! Good point!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

OH MY GAWDDD NOOOOOOO! You are so right. RETHINK That. Gosh, edit that! Please, someone delete my entry!
                        I have to say, though, I still carry diaper wipes in the car. I can wipe it down, or use it over my finger! Good point!
                        On the other hand, you could say, "hey - I'm eatin' McDonald's here; obviously, I'm only concerned about what goes into my body to a certain level."

(And I say that with the completely honest admission that I eat at McDonald's.)

Comment

No worries, wipes or kleenex wrapped around your finger will do. Or in my case, I have a few pens in my dashboard cubbyhole that I could use to do my touching.

I read/heard somewhere that all the Jack Box restaurants in Hawaii will very soon be renovated to include self-service drive-thru menus, so this might be the beginning of a trend.

Thanks to this thread, I might go to Mickey D's for a 6 pc chicken nuggets with hot spicy buffalo sauce and a 99 cent double cheeseburger and water. The buffalo sauce at McD's is more watery than Jack's but hey for a quick $4 meal I don't complain.
                          Last edited by mapen; March 2, 2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            True story: I recently walked in (not drove through) the Aina Haina McDonald's to order a regular fries. That's it (it's the only thing I like there, beside the Filet-O-Fish).
                            That McDonalds was Hawaii's first back in I believe 1967 when a Big Mac was 65-cents and much larger than what it is now.

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

They had this commercial back in 1972 about their cleanliness: Grab a bucket and mop...scrub it bottom to top, there is nothing so clean...as my burger machine...You deserve a break today so get out and get away to McDonalds.

Then there was another commercial where you could get a hamburger, order of fries, and a Coke..."and something you haven't seen in a while...change for your dollar".

Those were good McDonalds commercials back then, they should re run them.
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 2, 2007, 12:27 PM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Then there was another commercial where you could get a hamburger, order of fries, and a Coke..."and something you haven't seen in a while...change for your dollar".

Those were good McDonalds commercials back then, they should re run them.
                              Tell me about it. Their current TV advertising campaign is rather lame, and has been for quite some time now. JIB is running circles around everyone in advertising strategy. Gotta' love that "Jack the CEO" concept.

They should try out a "spoof foreign McDonald's TV commercial" thing. Like a "Ron-udo Maku-nodonarudo" Japanese version with English subtitles.

Or maybe they oughta copy JIB and turn Ronald McDonald into their own "clownish-yet-shrewd" CEO. Have the hamburglar be his arch (no pun intended) nemesis.

The Aina Haina location often looks slow in the restaurant, but the drive-through seems to always pack a line, which is why I prefer walking in. By the time I'm walking out with my stuff, the car in the back is still 2 cars away from ordering.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X