Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best/Worst McDonald's

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    [...]They had this commercial back in 1972 about their cleanliness: Grab a bucket and mop...scrub it bottom to top, there is nothing so clean...as my burger machine...You deserve a break today so get out and get away to McDonalds.

Then there was another commercial where you could get a hamburger, order of fries, and a Coke..."and something you haven't seen in a while...change for your dollar".

Those were good McDonalds commercials back then, they should re run them.
    I'm remembering both those commercials as nationals. Or were there local versions of them at that time? I ask because I worked on those nationals when I lived in SoCal.
    Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Tell me about it. Their current TV advertising campaign is rather lame, and has been for quite some time now.[...]
    The local spots usually play off the mainland spots at least as far as the tag goes. Have to admit, tho', that I love the pimping the car spot and the spot that features the 2 young dudes eating in the car...in the showroom! Both air locally only.

Comment

Two quick McD's stories.

I was complaining to my students about the Ward Avenue McD's Express, saying that if you ordered a Big Mac, the kitchen employee would toss the ingredients up into the air and catch it in the bag, and if it happened to come down in the shape of a Big Mac, you just got lucky. One of my students responded with, "When you order a Big Mac at the Kahala McD's, it comes to you looking like a half-shuffled deck of cards."

I actually had to pause a moment and let the poetry sink through my brain. I couldn't believe how beautiful that was.

I said two stories, but I think I might have already told the second story elsewhere on HT.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm not so sure about the combination of vanilla ice cream and fries though.
        Whaaaaaat? You've never had that combo at McD's before?

It's the best when the fries are hot and fresh out the fryer... the mixture of salty and sweet is sooooo good.

Only thing better is a hot fudge sundae and fries... eat all the chocolate first, then finish off by dipping the fries in the soft serve.

My recent horror story: At the Kahala McD's, I went inside to order. Thought it would be faster than waiting in the drive-thru.

Order the Quarter Pounder, the limited edition one with mushrooms, onions and swiss cheese. Except I didn't want the Swiss Cheese.

Wait a few minutes, bag comes out... but they forget to give me my drink. No biggie. Check the bag, see the fries and sandwich container.

Get in my car, start driving away. I'm kind of hungry, so I eat a few fries, then open the sandwich box when I get to a stoplight.

The sandwich was mushroom and swiss. No onions.

No hamburger, either.

Had to drive alllll the way back to the restaurant. Manager looked at it and almost busted out laughing.
        Last edited by Palolo Joe; March 2, 2007, 03:27 PM. Reason: added my own McD's story

Comment

Remember when the Big Mac Was Big. Now look like one Small Mac. I remember When Mc`d when open up in the 70`s the was best thing next to Dairy Queen, which was the only thing around then. Then came Burger King and the Whopper and soon we got Jack. I hope Zipp`s soon!!!!!

OGGBOY
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

They had this commercial back in 1972 about their cleanliness: Grab a bucket and mop...scrub it bottom to top, there is nothing so clean...as my burger machine...You deserve a break today so get out and get away to McDonalds.
            I think I saw that commercial on YouTube recently

(does quick YouTube search)

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8D8AzvBtE

I wonder if McDonald's used to be staffed by older folks like that back in those days, instead of all the teenagers you see working McD's nowadays.

Comment

Of all the stories so far, nothing can (almost literally) top the can of worms opened at the Waianae McDonald's about the same time last year in a KITV investigative series...

Restaurant Inspections Find Maggots, Roaches In Food, Drinks

The McDonalds manager told the state sanitarian who came to investigate the complaint that they had already discovered the maggots problem there. The manager said it was caused by a cup of saimin that somehow had fallen underneath a piece of equipment. The manager said that flies got into the saimin and started breeding, the maggots followed and then those maggots somehow crawled into the drinking cups there
              Still, this wouldn't necessarily discourage me from ever visiting that location in the future. If anything, you'd think they would be even more vigilant and careful about sanitary issues after discovering that.

Shoot, my friend said he was at Masu's Massive Plate Lunch one time, and right before their eyes, a "convoy" of baby roaches crawled across the floor in front of them. Did that stop them from still ordering? No.

Sometimes, the oldest, most run-down looking places get da' most ono grinds!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                I think I saw that commercial on YouTube recently[...]
                Thanks for the link. Nope, I didn't work on that one. It's not the one I was thinking of.

Comment

Of all the stories so far, nothing can (almost literally) top the can of worms opened at the Waianae McDonald's[...]
                  Still, this wouldn't necessarily discourage me from ever visiting that location in the future. If anything, you'd think they would be even more vigilant and careful about sanitary issues after discovering that.[...]
                  That (my neighborhood!) McDs has been cleaned up and partially remodeled. But, that news report did deter me for a few months!

Comment

I quit eating McDs regularly the day I saw Supersize Me for the first time. I only make exceptions when the McRib comes back on the circuit.

But I gotta agree with PJ. That vanilla softserve and fresh outta the fryer french fries are soooooo good.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                      I quit eating McDs regularly the day I saw Supersize Me for the first time. I only make exceptions when the McRib comes back on the circuit.[...]
                      I'd estimate 95% of my McD purchases consist of side salads, fresh fruit salads and (senior!) diet cokes. For a single person the $1. side salads are a great deal. They consist of mixed greens, tomatoes and carrots. Add dressing of choice, shake vigorously and...voila...a decent snack on the run or meal accompaniment. Actually, I no longer buy all the salad fixings from the grocery store as I always ended up throwing out at least half of it. Instead I buy 3 salads at a time to carry me thru 3 days!

I like the fruit salad altho' sliced apples aren't my fruit of choice. But it sure works on the run. The container of cut up fresh fruit at Costco is still my favorite and the best deal in town!

The other 5%? McDs chocolate chip cookies are almost the best! Costco wins that competition, too!

Comment

That McDonalds was Hawaii's first back in I believe 1967 when a Big Mac was 65-cents and much larger than what it is now.
                        How can you remember the actual price?

What I do remember, though, was that when I was a college student on the mainland, McDonalds was a lifesaver for me. A Big Mac and fries for less than a dollar! It sustained me and kept me on my budget. I've always been thankful for that.

I don't eat at McDonalds much now days, but every now and then, when I just need "something," I know McDonalds is nearby and won't put a dent in my wallet. Sometimes, when I've had too much to drink, I'll suddenly get nostalgic ... and just need a Big Mac. Not the most gastonomically inspiring dish, but it satisfies. It sustains.

Comment

I'm dusting the 1964 cob webs outta my brain and I seem to recall a McD hamburger was 15 cents in SoCal and the Golden Arches sign showed 1,000,000 sold. Sorry, too lazy to google!

Comment

i remember when the ice cream cones were called ice milks and it was <0.25$.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I'm dusting the 1964 cob webs outta my brain and I seem to recall a McD hamburger was 15 cents in SoCal and the Golden Arches sign showed 1,000,000 sold. Sorry, too lazy to google!
                              The oldest McD that's still in business in Downey CA serves Big Mac meals with med fries and drink for $2.99 every day of the week. Not the same as 15 cents but still pretty good for today's prices.

Comment

I remember it because back then the Waialae Jolly Rogers sold a hamburger for 25-cents and if you just doubled it you'd have the bulk of a Big Mac for 15-cents less. That's how I remembered the 65-cent Big Mac. And it was BIG back then.

If anyone can recall the Big Mac was sold with a cardboard liner around the whole thing measuring close to three inches high.

My worst McDonald's experience also happened at the Waialae Bowl location. The server spoke in broken english (mostly Filipino) and couldn't get my order straight. After several attempts to order some food I asked for the manager...who promptly came out asking me what the problem was...with a heavy Korean accent.

At that point I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, "Is there anyone working behind this counter that can speak plain English?" The place went quiet and then one by one applause erupted in the restaurant.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X