Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best/Worst McDonald's

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    My worst McDonald's experience also happened at the Waialae Bowl location. The server spoke in broken english (mostly Filipino) and couldn't get my order straight. After several attempts to order some food I asked for the manager...who promptly came out asking me what the problem was...with a heavy Korean accent.
    Filipino worker: "Sar, dee order is dee BIG MUCK, dee LOURGE P'D'RIES and dee SMOE P'D'ROOT PONCHE, . Iz dot oll?" (Sir, your order is one Big Mac, a large fries and a small fruit punch. Is that all?).

Korean Manager: "Uh-sa-mat-ta suh?" (What's the matter, sir?)

Da So'le standing in line behind you: "Eh cush, you kona haff to make quick, ush ish hungree ouwreddy". (Hey cousin (dude), you've gotta' speed it up, we're starvin').

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      If anyone can recall the Big Mac was sold with a cardboard liner around the whole thing measuring close to three inches high.

My worst McDonald's experience also happened at the Waialae Bowl location. The server spoke in broken english (mostly Filipino) and couldn't get my order straight. After several attempts to order some food I asked for the manager...who promptly came out asking me what the problem was...with a heavy Korean accent.

At that point I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, "Is there anyone working behind this counter that can speak plain English?" The place went quiet and then one by one applause erupted in the restaurant.
      I remember that liner.

Heh, I've been to the Waialae Bowl McD's exactly 2 times, in the past. They got my order wrong both times. They're hitting 100% for me. Never went back.

Sounds like the Wahiawa McD's. 3 languages, Filipino, Samoan and Korean. The few who do speak "proper" English appear to be mentally challenged. Poor things work so hard they stop thinking. I'd have to say a good 90% of our orders have had errors. How angry I get depends on who took my order. If it's from one of the "multilingual" counterhelp, I get livid. I'm way more forgiving with the "slower" workers.

We go to the Mauka McD's when we get the "cravings". They've been the opposite for us. They've gotten things right 90% of the time, plus some. Most of their counterhelp are local high school students. Not ESL kids.

At least we get smiles from the counter help at these 2 places. The Mililani Walmart's McD's....don't get me started.

Comment

I asked Andrew Gomes at The Advertiser if the Hawaii Kai McDs would be getting a McCafe and he said it wasn't in the cards. However, with Aina Haina being the oldest, it's posible that it would show up there. I guess McDs decided it should get in on the $3 cup of joe, too. I did see that HIKMcDs is selling that cinnamon thing, so some menu items cross the cafe line.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My first experience with McD's was as a college student in Bloomington, IN. The dorm meal plan covered 20 meals a week, excluding Sunday dinner. So, we'd pile into a car and head for the Golden Arches, where a dollar could fill us up. Four hamburgers @$0.15 each ($0.60), two fries @$0.10 ($0.20), and one soft drink @$0.10 - that's $0.90.

My first visit to McD's here in Honolulu was to their second location, Palolo. What I remember is that the Big Mac was $0.63, the slightly smaller Double Cheeseburger was $0.59, and what I almost always ordered was a pretty good Roast Beef sandwich which topped the menu at $0.69.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Thanks for the link. Nope, I didn't work on that one. It's not the one I was thinking of.
            Any of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonal...ns_and_slogans

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              [...] So, we'd pile into a car and head for the Golden Arches, where a dollar could fill us up. Four hamburgers @$0.15 each ($0.60), two fries @$0.10 ($0.20), and one soft drink @$0.10 - that's $0.90.[...]
              During that time didn't McD have occasional offers of 10 burgers for $1.00? Or was that another fast food restaurant? Come to think of it...were there any other ff places at that time?
              Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
              Memories! Yes, I worked on McDonalds during the 1970s in LA. I think the 1971 mopping spot rang a bell with me because another spot featured the cleanliness factor but not in song and dance like the one on YouTube. I remember talking to the technical assistant on the set about McD's cleaning policy and I was so impressed!
              Last edited by tutusue; March 3, 2007, 09:24 AM. Reason: correct a gratamatuhcal misteak!

Comment

The Temple Valley MickeyD used to be on my *hit list. The workers were mostly young kids who didn't have a clue. There would be a long line of people waiting to order and/or waiting for their order. There would be one person busting arse in the back cooking while others are messing around laughing it up in plain sight of the customers.

Then they renovated the insides... looks great. Looks like they renovated the employees too because they seem to be working more efficiently.

That McDonalds was Hawaii's first back in I believe 1967 when a Big Mac was 65-cents and much larger than what it is now.
                I was thinking the same thing but then again at age 6 it must have looked huge back then. Is it me or were the shakes a lot bigger before too?

Comment

Memories! Yes, I worked on McDonalds during the 1970s in LA. I think the 1971 mopping spot rang a bell with me because another spot featured the cleanliness factor but not in song and dance like the one on YouTube.
                  I was around Southern Cal in 1971 (Newport Beach) when I was at UCI. That’s where I survived financially on Big Macs and fries. And yes, the Big Macs were definitely bigger. I remember those rings! You needed them to keep everything together.

Speaking of McDonald’s, I remember a friend of mine, a co-worker who, in her UH college days, went to France on a tour—an art tour, I believe. On the last day of her tour, she (and I suppose a couple of her friends) got “nostalgic” for McDonalds, so they went to a French McDonalds. Everyone at my former workplace chastised her: “What? You’re in France and you went to a McDonalds?” We never let her off the hook. All she could do was roll her eyes and proclaim: “What can I say?”

McDonalds is sometimes inexplicable.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    I was around Southern Cal in 1971 (Newport Beach) [...]
                    I was in Laguna Beach at that time! I know there wasn't a McDs in Laguna and I don't recall eating at a McDs while living in that area. Prior to moving back to Laguna in 1970 I lived in Manhattan Beach and we frequented the Redondo Beach restaurant.
                    Speaking of McDonald’s, I remember a friend of mine, a co-worker who, in her UH college days, went to France on a tour—an art tour, I believe. On the last day of her tour, she (and I suppose a couple of her friends) got “nostalgic” for McDonalds, so they went to a French McDonalds.[...]
                    Well, I'll admit to going to McDonalds in Paris! I think it was near the Champs-Elysees. And, I think it served wine. Someone please correct me if my memory is playing tricks! I made a point of going there 'cuz my ex wouldn't be caught dead in a fast food restaurant anywhere! So, to have a photo of me standing in a McDs in Paris was an opportunity I couldn't pass up! Naughty, rebellious me!

Comment

I worked at McDonalds in Delran, New Jersey. I started as lobby clean up, got promoted to cashier, transferred to fry and shake station, and then I learned the grill stations. I was then promoted to swing manager, nailing $2.20 an hour! So I actually have a soft spot in my heart for McDs. I learned how to make killer scrambled eggs there. And I will not tolerate substandard service or food. So I write letters once in a while.

No one ever takes your bag, folds the top twice, and slides it so the logo faces the customer. No one makes sure you can stick your straw in without soda exploding out the top. No one stands up your Friench fries, or lines up your items in the bag or on the tray so that nothing gets squished. In fact, no one wraps a burger the way they used to, it's just picked up and smashed around the bottom. We used to do a tri-fold around the smaller burgers.
                      Fries were tossed after 7 minutes, sandwiches after 10. Sodas after 2 minutes. Ever eat an old Big Mac? YUCK.
                      Way back when I earned the title of Window Girl of the Quarter and then was in a tri-state competition and was Window Girl of the Delaware Valley because of my service skills, which included suggesting selling, treating the food well and smiling like I was on TV all the time.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I was in Laguna Beach at that time! I know there wasn't a McDs in Laguna and I don't recall eating at a McDs while living in that area.
                        Actually, I don't remember a McDs in Newport Beach (or Balboa or Irvine), either. I think (my memory is fuzzy, here) it was in Santa Ana or Costa Mesa or some similar surrounding area that I ate at McDonalds. It was somewhere inland.

Comment

I was in Laguna Beach at that time! I know there wasn't a McDs in Laguna and I don't recall eating at a McDs while living in that area.
                          Actually, I don't remember a McDs in Newport Beach (or Balboa or Irvine) either. I think (my memory is fuzzy here) it was in Santa Ana or Costa Mesa or some similar surrounding area that I ate at McDonalds. It was somewhere inland.

Comment

I worked at McD in 1975-1977 part time at the one and only (at that time) busiest mcd in Hawaii (Waikiki , on Kalakaua near Lewers St).

We were taught the '6 window steps'...and yes, i remember having to fold the top part of the bag twice and slide it forward...i lament those times when i see how it is not followed..now...

Back in those days, you had to manually write the prices on the order slip and calculate the sub total and tax in your head, nowadays..you have a computerized cash register tell you how much to give back. One time about 5 years ago, guess the computerized cash register weren't working properly, and I gave a window person bills and change, so in turn i'd get back less coins---that guy didn't know HOW to calculate the change that was to be given back!

Yikes, such a dependency on computers!

Comment

Anyone try the revamped McD's on Beretania yet?

Comment

I remember when Jack in the Box had similar characters as McDonalds. They had a Hamburglar-ish type of bad guy. I think most if not all of the other characters were copied in some bootleg fashion. This was when Jack was a less sophisticated clown.

Years later they blew up the Jack clown.

Comment

Working...
                                X