Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Five-0

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
    Woo hoo! JUst picked up the Hawaii 5-0 season 3 at my locals Borders!!
    Here is another story from Terri's Jack Lord Connection about a girl named Linda who was able to get a bit role in the show.

A Five-0 Experience
    by Linda
    "I moved to Hawaii from New Jersey in 1970 to get married. I lived two blocks from the new Sheraton Waikiki Hotel being built. Since I was looking for work, I went and applied for a job there. They must have like me for I landed the job working in the Hotel laundry located in the basement. One of the machines I operated was one that folded the towels and sheets.

My co-workers and I were all excited one day to learn that Hawaii Five-0 would be coming to film in the Hotel and that the laundry was part of the scene. There was even talk that some of us might be offered jobs as extras for that scene. We were told to go about our duties as the crew moved all around us.

As excited as I was (I was only 20 at the time) I was a bit nervous having them there. Finally, they just started pointing to us one by one. They pointed at me and said, "Okay, you."

Oh, I was crazed with excitement. I couldn't believe it.

"Only people with lines get paid, and there are no lines for you," they told me.

I was like, "who cares, I just want to do it." I couldn't wait to get home to tell my husband and my family back East that I was going to be on TV! How cool is that?
    Any one have any idea what episode that might have been?
    Last edited by admin; March 19, 2008, 07:14 AM. Reason: Do not republish copywrighted works. Excerpts and links only.

Comment

Originally posted by coop5054 View Post
      Any one have any idea what episode that might have been?
      I'm pretty sure that the episode in question was "Good Night Baby, Time To Die." This was a 4th season ep., so it matches the approximate timeframe of that lady's story. It was filmed at the Sheraton Waikiki and, yes, one of the scenes take place in the laundry room, where several employees were doing their work in front of the folding machines.

But she gets the plot confused. A dead body was not dumped down the laundry chute. Instead, a fugitive was sneaking into the hotel by hiding inside a laundry cart. Once the cart was left unattended, the fugitive started climbing up the laundry chute so that he could get to the upper floor.

One other strange thing. That lady talks about Zulu. But he was totally absent from that particular episode! In fact, that was the very first show aired where his character does not make an appearance, which I always took as being a sign that this episode was filmed after Zulu had had his falling out with Jack Lord. But if that lady's memory is correct, then it's kinda wierd when you think about it. Why would Zulu be hanging around the set of Hawaii Five-0 just after he got fired (or was about to be?)
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 29, 2008, 01:09 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I found a great story about Jack Lord and Hawaii Five-O I thought you would like from TV Guide in 1973

"JUST DO YOUR JOB AND STAY LOOSE!"
        Famous last words to a press agent on his way to work
        By Lincoln Haynes
        TV Guide, February 3, 1973
        A Hollywood television publicist strikes up varying degrees of intimacy with the stars of his shows. Buddy Ebsen used to invite me aboard his yacht, Merv Griffin to his poolside. Another one kept crawling on my lap - but it was only Lassie.

Then, in 1968, CBS shipped me several thousand miles to Hawaii to work with one star I still haven't met.

"Just be sure of one thing out there," my boss told me before I left Television City. "Don't let them sucker you into running back and forth to the airport on errands for the production company. They've been doing that to us. A publicist is not a messenger boy."

I should have got it in writing, or else Jack Lord should have. The island wasn't big enough for both of us.

The Lord, as his fellow artists are apt to call him behind his back, stars as stone-faced investigator McGarrett on Hawaii Five-0 - "filmed entirely in Hawaii," as CBS likes to put it.

Nevertheless, when I was transferred to the islands as unit publicist on the show, Lord was shooting two episodes back home in Los Angeles. "Shall I go out to the set and meet him?" I asked my boss.

"No, let's underplay it," he said. "Touch base here with Leonard Freeman and then go out to Hawaii and get yourself set up with everybody else. That way you'll be: already plugged in as part of the company when Lord gets back there. But try and stay cool with Lord. It's costing us plenty to ship all of you press agents and your stuff back and forth, and my budget won't take it."

I saluted, left his office and made an appointment with Leonard Freeman, executive producer of Hawaii Five-0.
        Last edited by admin; March 19, 2008, 07:15 AM. Reason: Do not republish copywritten works. Excerpts and links only.

Comment

Originally posted by coop5054 View Post
          I found a great story about Jack Lord and Hawaii Five-O I thought you would like from TV Guide in 1973

"JUST DO YOUR JOB AND STAY LOOSE!"

Famous last words to a press agent on his way to work

By Lincoln Haynes
          I'm assuming that when this Lincoln Haynes wrote this article, he was no longer working for CBS. I can't imagine the network allowing one of their employees to do a hatchet job on Jack Lord on the pages of TV Guide.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hawaii Five-0 Great Article .

Aloha Also Means "Goodbye"
            Movie Mirror and TV Super Special
            It's that time of year again. Pineapples ripen under a warm sun, the waves roll in at Diamond Head and Jack Lord is talking about quitting Hawaii Five-0.

It's become an annual ceremony around contract time, but this year, his 12th as Steve McGarrett, it looks like he means it. During his show's April to December shooting schedule, he's up at 4 A.M., and seldom home before dark.
            Last edited by admin; March 19, 2008, 07:17 AM. Reason: Do not republish copywritten works. Excerpts and links only.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Five-0-When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

Chin Ho Kelly - in my book you are one of the most missed characters on the show.
              When Tomorrow Starts Without Me
              By Terri Whitman © 2-16-08
              Movement, something was moving nearby along with low imperceptible voices. The pain eased to a soft dullness, fading with time. A shadow softly settled over the area.

Is this how it’s going to be?

The desire to fight rose several times. Each time it brought with it the pain. Surrender seemed the only path to escape the discomfort.

Fighting is useless.

Twice the ebbing force tried to leave and yet…

It’s not time. Not now. Wait. I have more to do, to say.
              Kam Fong, Detective Chin Ho Kelly on Hawaii Five-0 passed away on October 18, 2002, from lung cancer. He was 84. In real life, Fong served 18 years with the Honolulu Police Department, worked as a disc jockey and sold real estate before landing the role on the CS series, which ran from 1968 until 1980. Fong's character was a mainstay until the final episode of the 1977-1978 season.

"In his last show when the character Chin Ho Kelly was killed while on an undercover mission, he looked at death and declared, 'It was a life that was worth it. It was a life that mattered,'" read a statement released by his family after Fong's passing. "We think those words sum up our father's life."

Kam Fong Chun is survived by two sons, Dennis and Dickson and two daughters, Brenda and Valerie.

Last edited by admin; March 19, 2008, 07:20 AM. Reason: Do not republish copywritten works. Excerpts and links only.

Comment

Hawaii Five-0-Season 4

Season 4 is coming out on June 10th!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Haw...-Season-4/9037

Comment

CBS has put the entire first season of Hawaii Five-O online.

Comment

Hawaii Five-0

McGarrett's Prayer- Master of All Things Island

Our 'Lord' and Master which art on the Island of Oahu. Hallowed be thy Five-0 Kingdom. Thy will be done on ALL the Islands, as it is on your island the rock..

Give us this day our time in Oahu Paradise with you. Forgive us our mistakes, as we know you don't like them. Lead us not into evil or temptation, and especially deliver us from WoFat. For thine is the Island, and the Power, and the Glory, and the Danno, forever.

..........Book'em, McGarrett

Comment

Hawaii Five-0- The "lost" episode-Bored She Hung Herself

Bored She Hung Herself
                      Bored She Hung Herself" (sic) is the rarest of the 284 episodes of HAWAII FIVE-0 that were produced during its 12-season run on CBS. It aired only once—January 7, 1970—and has not been broadcast since. It has never been rerun on CBS or in syndication, and CBS/Paramount, regrettably, omitted it from its recent HAWAII FIVE-0: THE SECOND SEASON DVD box set.

CBS and Paramount have never revealed exactly why they have censored this episode, although most fans believe it is because of its opening scene, in which a hippie character is seen hanging by the neck without harm for the purpose of meditation. A few minutes later, his girlfriend is discovered hanging from the ceiling in the same noose, but quite dead. Reportedly, someone really did attempt to hang themselves based on what they saw on this episode and was killed.

Only one copy of “Bored, She Hung Herself” appears to exist. It looks like a 16mm print that was sent to network affiliates and contains bumpers, leader, etc. Audio and visual quality is barely watchable, as though the print were projected onto a wall and recorded by a video camera. It also seems to be considered not one of the series’ highlights, although I thought it was quite interesting and stands outside the program’s usual formula.
                      Does anybody out there remember seeing this installment of Hawaii Five-O? It rings no bells for me.

http://craneshot.blogspot.com/2008/0...g-herself.html (shows 4 screen caps from the episode.)

Comment

I have a poor 16mm print of the episode I had transferred to VHS at least a decade ago. It was in prety bad condition, the audio was not synched correctly either. When I was working for my university in Arizona prepping the college dorm rooms for the upcoming Arizona Cardinals football squad's visit there was a college dorm that supposedly was haunted with a ghost, I asked why and someone had said a girl hung herself in the room based on her boyfriend cheating on her and she got the idea from an episode of Hawaii 5-0. I never dug around enough in newspapers or whatever to confirm this story, but the timeframe in which it ocurred was definitely the same era for what its worth.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          I have a poor 16mm print of the episode I had transferred to VHS at least a decade ago. It was in prety bad condition, the audio was not synched correctly either. When I was working for my university in Arizona prepping the college dorm rooms for the upcoming Arizona Cardinals football squad's visit there was a college dorm that supposedly was haunted with a ghost, I asked why and someone had said a girl hung herself in the room based on her boyfriend cheating on her and she got the idea from an episode of Hawaii 5-0. I never dug around enough in newspapers or whatever to confirm this story, but the timeframe in which it ocurred was definitely the same era for what its worth.

Aj
                          Maybe that haunted location might turn up on one of those Ghosthunters type of shows.
                          Is there a local Ghosthunting investigative team here, esp. with the many ghost stories that have been told? I like those Glen Grant tales.

Comment

Hawaii Five-0- More Info on " Bored She Hung Herself"

Episode 39.Bored She Hung Herself
                            Original air date: 1/7/70 -- Plot -- Opening Credits -- End Credits
                            This episode has never been seen on TV since the original broadcast, presumably because of an issue with some of the subject matter. One of the lead characters, Don Miles (Don Quine) engages in various hippie pursuits like yoga, natural foods, chanting "Hare Krishna" and -- particularly objectionable -- hanging himself by the neck from the ceiling, this supposedly being yoga-related. (Some viewer allegedly tried this at home and died, according to Mrs. Leonard Freeman.) When his girlfriend Wanda (Pamela Murphy) is found hanging and dead, McGarrett is on the case. At first it looks like a suicide, but the coroner (played by casting director Ted Thorpe) says "It's possible she was assaulted," adding, "the victim was already dead when she was hung."
                            Last edited by admin; March 19, 2008, 07:27 AM. Reason: Do not republish copywritten works. Excerpts and links only.

Comment

Hawaii Five-0- Epilog to ‘Once Upon A Time’

Epilog to ‘Once Upon A Time’
                              Happily Ever After
                              By Terri Whitman © 2-16-07
                              Satisfied at seeing the quack doctor’s defense destroyed in court, McGarrett staunchly walked out of the courtroom and down the hall. The painfully hurt feelings expressed on his sister’s face tore at him. He knew, even if she never forgave him, he had brought a final justice to this case.

But Maryanne and Tom had followed him out of the building and before he could get to the car, she had called out to him. Tears of relief and appreciation flowed from her eyes as they took each other into their arms comforting each other wordlessly. Tom stood close by and when they separated, he shook McGarrett’s hand in appreciation.
                              Last edited by admin; March 27, 2008, 07:30 PM. Reason: Do not copy and paste full articles. Excerpt and link.

Comment

I loved this part of Hawaii Five-O

"There was something on Hawaii Five-O where it seemed like every week, about forty-seven minutes into the show, the following would occur. Steve McGarrett would be sitting in his office after hours and with the lights down. Everyone else would have gone home for the night but McGarrett, being the dedicated supercop that he was, would be sitting there, just staring out the window, wondering about that week's master criminal who had to be caught in the next thirteen minutes, not counting station breaks.

Someone would find him there...someone (say, Danny Williams) who'd come back to the office late because he forgot something. He'd be amazed to find McGarrett still there, still on the job. But he'd also be unamazed because he, like everyone, knew the kind of stuff from which Steve McGarrett was made. "What are you thinking about, boss?" he'd ask, even though he knew full well what McGarrett was thinking about.

McGarrett would swivel around in his office chair and point or otherwise indicate the window with its beautiful nighttime view of Hawaii. And with a tightening of the throat and jaw, telling us how personal this whole matter was to him, McGarrett would say in a strong but frustrated voice..."

"He's out there, Danno...and he's mocking us."

Comment

Working...
                                X