Wal-Mart Super Center In Hilo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart Super Center In Hilo ?

Very interesting article in HTH today in regards Wal-Mart potentially leasing 15.5 acres of DHHL land behind their existing store in Hilo.

Wal-Mart is naturally being cagey about their intentions. As the lease has not been finalized.But I figure that Wal-Mart is going to be building a Super Center on the land and opening a Sams Club in the existing building.

Link to HTH Article
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Wal-Mart Super Center In Hilo ?

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Very interesting article in HTH today in regards Wal-Mart potentially leasing 15.5 acres of DHHL land behind their existing store in Hilo.

Wal-Mart is naturally being cagey about their intentions. As the lease has not been finalized.But I figure that Wal-Mart is going to be building a Super Center on the land and opening a Sams Club in the existing building.

Link to HTH Article
    Wonder how WM's potential plans for a SuperStore jibe with the Hawai'i County Council's proposed ordinance against future development of megabox stores? Seems that all the counties are looking to prevent stores as big as a Superstore from being built (Kauai's proposed ordinance actually specifies a not-to-exceed square footage requirement for future big box stores).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

why not open one here, then use the super ferry to shuttle people from the neighbor isles to here?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
        why not open one here, then use the super ferry to shuttle people from the neighbor isles to here?
        People on the neighbor islands can get everything they need at a WalMart without having to travel to Honolulu. It's not like the old days when in order to do any kind of shopping, people on the Neighbor Islands used to make a trip to Ala Moana Center a couple of times a year to stock up.

And I think the Honolulu City Council also is looking at ways to limit the size of the big box stores coming into Hawai'i (just like all the other islands).

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why is it always the case that when Hawaiian activists complain about everyone taking "their" land ,they never complain to Hawaiian homes when they lease the homelands for malls, airports, and megastores? Sure you see the one or two "hardcore" protesters around in Hilo , but yet later that week the same protester is shopping at Walmart and using the shopping center. I guess when it comes to "having stores" like Honolulu, homelands for HOMES take a backseat. If Mr. Walmart Haole is building on our land it's ok because no one will care.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Wonder how WM's potential plans for a SuperStore jibe with the Hawai'i County Council's proposed ordinance against future development of megabox stores? Seems that all the counties are looking to prevent stores as big as a Superstore from being built (Kauai's proposed ordinance actually specifies a not-to-exceed square footage requirement for future big box stores).
            Miulang, Hawaii County has no jurisdiction over DHHL lands. So the proposed Wal-Mart Super Center would not be affected by any ban on big box retailers.
            Last edited by Konaguy; March 9, 2007, 05:08 PM.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
              Why is it always the case that when Hawaiian activists complain about everyone taking "their" land ,they never complain to Hawaiian homes when they lease the homelands for malls, airports, and megastores? Sure you see the one or two "hardcore" protesters around in Hilo , but yet later that week the same protester is shopping at Walmart and using the shopping center. I guess when it comes to "having stores" like Honolulu, homelands for HOMES take a backseat. If Mr. Walmart Haole is building on our land it's ok because no one will care.

As far as I recall living on the Big island my entire life, there has been plenty of large protests against Prince Kuhio Plaza and Waiakea Center over the years. That being said, the land in question being leased by Wal-Mart is in a industrial section of Hilo, not suitable for housing.

Believe it or not, the Kanoelehua DHHL lands from Hilo Airport to Prince Kuhio Plaza garner the most commercial lease income for DHHL in the entire state of Hawaii. That money in turn is used to build infrastructure on other DHHL lands.

On a related note, Costco explored leasing this parcel recently, but apparently decided against leasing this property. Which may turn out to be a mistake, especially if
              Wal-Mart opens a Sams Club in Hilo.
              Last edited by Konaguy; March 9, 2007, 05:07 PM.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

HTH Article

Wal-Mart confirmed Thursday that the newly leased land will indeed have a Wal-Mart Super Center built on it. The future of the existing store is uncertain,
                even though there is still 55 years on the lease. It is possible a Sams Club could open there or they could sub lease the building.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

this is the most inaccurate thing I've ever read from your hand, AB. Where have you *been*? A Hawaiian Homes meeting held at Keaukaha School cafeteria always includes heat, anger, umbrage and demands for accountability. Dear God, where do I even begin to correct this...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    this is the most inaccurate thing I've ever read from your hand, AB. Where have you *been*? A Hawaiian Homes meeting held at Keaukaha School cafeteria always includes heat, anger, umbrage and demands for accountability. Dear God, where do I even begin to correct this...
                    My point is this...If they going complain, then support your complaints by a total ban on going to these places built on DHHL lands. Make it a REAL protest and stand up in what they believe in.

I say this because I have Kanaka Maoli cousins who go to these rallies saying "we need to reclaim our lands for our future" yet that afternoon same group goes shopping at the stores and mall that are built on these lands you want to reclaim. WTF!? iIf they truly believe in the cause, don't be a hypocrite and give these "WALMART and PLAZA" stores ANY business.

Flickr

Comment

My point is this...If they going complain, then support your complaints by a total ban on going to these places built on DHHL lands. Make it a REAL protest and stand up in what they believe in.
                      Actually that plan could ostensibly backfire. Commercial lease revenue allows DHHL to finance infrastructure improvements on other DHHL lands.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

As far as DHHL lands are concerned, remember WalMart, Prince Kuhio Plaza, and even Home Depot are on LEASED LANDS so they never really lost them at all. DHHL can easily pull the rug out on these big box retailers. But with lease revenue going back to support other DHHL properties, this is a good way for DHHL lands that were at the time sitting vacant and growing native Hawaiian weeds to make money for Hawaiian endevours.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          As far as DHHL lands are concerned, remember WalMart, Prince Kuhio Plaza, and even Home Depot are on LEASED LANDS so they never really lost them at all. DHHL can easily pull the rug out on these big box retailers. But with lease revenue going back to support other DHHL properties, this is a good way for DHHL lands that were at the time sitting vacant and growing native Hawaiian weeds to make money for Hawaiian endevours.
                          Good point, but do you think it's ok to support a store on DHHL properties if you are against them being there? Kinda a Catch22 I guess

Flickr

Comment

Food for thought, according to the DHHL annual report

The Big Island has 76 commercial DHHL leases bringing in 3.7 million a year(Which is the most in the state).Oahu has the second most commercial leases
                            at 30 bringing in 2.4 million.My thinking is at least they are brining in revenue for these lands instead of leaving them idle.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Hypocrisy, and Cognitive Dissonance, are the intellectual foundation of protesters, activists, and generally speaking, most (not all) facets of liberalism. Hawaii is being overrun by these people, and is much worse for it.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X