Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 300

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
    The movie was historically inaccurate but still fun. Rodriquez rocks.

Read the book "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield if you want to know how life was back then.
    Robert Rodriguez directed Sin City, not 300. 300 was directed by Zack Snyder.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      Robert Rodriguez directed Sin City, not 300. 300 was directed by Zack Snyder.
      Correct. I got distracted and forgot to connect the dots

It should have read:

"The movie was historically inaccurate but still fun. It also reminded me of Sin City for the special effects. Rodriquez rocks"
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy View Post
        The movie was historically inaccurate but still fun.
        Well, it's based on Frank Millers graphic novel, so I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate when it comes to history. It was pretty close to the comic book, though. Almost scene for scene, actually. I still have the comic book from when I bought it when it first came out, years ago. Took me weeks to save up to buy it, too! lol

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        I *loved* Gates of Fire! I didn't know anyone else (besides me) who has read it.
        I read "Gates of Fire" last year, and liked it a lot. I would've loved to see a movie based on an adaptation of this book. But I guess if you're gonna make a movie with a "Sin City"-like feel to it, Frank Miller's version would translate better.

Comment

I liked the movie, my nephews (who are over 23), not so much. One said "The 300...naked men" I like Frank Miller, I didnt read this book, but figured I'd like it, and I did.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

was planning on watching the 9:30 showing at the dole and found that it was sold out! so instead of waiting, i thought i'd drive to the ward theaters and after finding a parking, walking, etc, found a very long line with the 10:30 and 11:30 shows almost sold out. sigh.... guess i'll wait for a weekday late evening show
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Yeah, Zack Snyder ... whose next movie is Watchmen!
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The entire movie was shot against green screen:

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/tech...ects/7807.html

The director says he was striving more for style and looks. Historical and technical accuracy came second to that.

Comment

just watched the 9:30 showing and liked it. definitely not historically accurate in many places but of course that wasn't the director's goal. the real history, i think, is way more powerful and moving than the movie, even with the make-believe beasts, etc.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

And like me, you may not have recognized him, but the self-proclaimed god-king Xerxes in the movie is none other than Rodrigo Santoro, the better known to us LOST fans as the much-maligned Paulo.

Comment

Did anyone catch the trailer for Grindhouse? I heard several groans and never laughter during the trailer. Am I the only one actually anxious to see these movies? I know that Tarantino and Rogriguez grew up watching these B movies, and I sorta did with the crappy NightFlight stuff, as well as the chinese movies at Empress and Golden Harvest.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                        the real history, i think, is way more powerful and moving than the movie, even with the make-believe beasts, etc.
                        I agree with you. The movie was very entertaining and well-made, but the real story behind the actual event is much more complex and intriguing. The recent History Channel piece gives you a taste of this, but the History Channel (or the overall Discovery Channel) also produced some other segments previously, especially the one describing Spartan society, which explored a richer, and more amazing, depiction of the times.

Comment

Saw this AMAZING movie last night......WONDERFUL! The cinematography was EXTRAORDINARY! Would definitely see it again!

That is all!

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                            Any chance the History Channel will show a repeat? I'd love to see it.
                            It repeats today (Saturday 3/17) at 9:00 p.m. Sorry this is so late, but I was channel surfing, saw this program schedule, and remembered this thread.

Comment

I was finally able to get someone to watch my kids so I could go see it.

I LOVED IT!!!!

So, how many of you are trying the "300-rep Spartan workout" after watching that flick? I must admit, it did make me want to go and do some sit ups (and I usually only feel like that after watching a Janet Jackson video)... but then I ate some popcorn and drank some Coke and got over it!
                              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2ElkOuNF0 - 300 workout?

Now thats what I need.
                                808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                                kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                                http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
                                X