Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you survive on foods from vending machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you survive on foods from vending machines?

Ever since I started at walmart, I always found myself staring at the vending machines even though I'm eating home cooked food that was microwaved.

Get white castle burger, burrito, chips, sodas, candies - probably enough for a ghetto feast.

Question: can you survive on food bought from vending machines? (vending machines located in "normal places", no turkey dinners or meatloaf kind dishes found at whatever places have it)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: can you survive on foods from vending machines?

Wal-Mart has a vending machine that sells White Castle burgers? Is this available for the customers or just for the workers?

For your question, for a quick pick me up, I guess stuff from a vending machine should be okay but if you are planning to eat your 3 meals a day using chips, sodas and candies I don't think it's a good idea. Granted you will not starve.

Comment

I lived off vending machines when I was at UH and cringe at the thought of what I ate back then. I think I managed to get sick a few times as a result.

I'm no health food fanatic and I will admit that I like my junk food -- but there's no way in hell I'd depend on vending machine food to survive. Why even use the vending machines? Can't you just hop on over to the packaged food aisle at Wal-Mart and get lunch there?

When I worked at the airline, I had a co-worker who had two kids and never had time to prepare/pick up lunch, so she'd always buy the bowl saimin/Hot Pocket/whatever item was left. UGH! There's so many kinds of yucky stuff in that food!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Can anyone afford to survive on food from vending machines?

(susie, who hasn't seen anything but the occasional (expensive) coke machine in more than twenty years)
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh man those vending machines at Hemmingway Hall back in the 70's.

At Home Depot we have five vending machines starting with frozen hamburgers, burritos, philly cheese steak sandwiches, pizza, chimichanga's, various ice cream and peanut and butter sandwiches all in one vending machine, then the coffee vending machine, the Coke machine, candy bar/chips machine, and the Pepsi machine.

As for surviving off of them, I guess you could but your sodium count will skyrocket!

When I'm working and sweating like a pig (climbing ladders, and walking a mile an hour at our store), I pick out a bag of Frito's for the potassium that I lost while sweating to boost my electrolytes and a Snickers bar for the energy boost from the caramel (immediate energy boost) and the peanuts (for the long run protein boost). That coupled with water keeps me going the rest of the day.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You haven't seen vending machines (jihanki) until you travel to Tokyo. They vend EVERYTHING. From snacks and hot bentos, to beer, condoms and other sex-related merchandise.

I consider Seven Eleven a "walk-in vending machine" of sorts. With that, when I lived on a beach home way out in Kaa'awa (North Shore of Oahu), the Kaa'awa Seven Eleven was my main source of my domestic needs. lol Expensive, but the convenience was worth it.

The owner of the vending machines in our office buys most of the items in it from Sam's Club. Enough to shoot your sodium through the roof. Angus Burgers (which I hear is quite good), White Castle Shooters, S&S ready-to-serve Saimin bowls and fresh sandwiches he buys from a different supplier.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Oh man those vending machines at Hemmingway Hall back in the 70's.
              Yep, those buggahs are still there.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                You haven't seen vending machines (jihanki) until you travel to Tokyo. They vend EVERYTHING. From snacks and hot bentos, to beer, condoms and other sex-related merchandise.

I consider Seven Eleven a "walk-in vending machine" of sorts. With that, when I lived on a beach home way out in Kaa'awa (North Shore of Oahu), the Kaa'awa Seven Eleven was my main source of my domestic needs. lol Expensive, but the convenience was worth it.

The owner of the vending machines in our office buys most of the items in it from Sam's Club. Enough to shoot your sodium through the roof. Angus Burgers (which I hear is quite good), White Castle Shooters, S&S ready-to-serve Saimin bowls and fresh sandwiches he buys from a different supplier.
                Man, you ain't kiddin'...Those vending machines in Tokyo are amazing. I loved all the canned coffee choices.

On a little bit of a sick note...I heard they were selling used women's underwear in vending machines over there....not kidding. All packaged up in plastic...Yea, they got some crazy fetishes over there.
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                  Question: can you survive on food bought from vending machines?
                  Of course you can "survive," if that's your only concern; and at your age, Adrian, the effects will be less than if you were twenty years older. Technically speaking, you can "survive" excessive doses of radiation, too.

It's not a great habit to be following, and your weight and overall health will suffer consequences. But sometimes, it's seems to be just about your only option for food, while working. Try to mix it up with alternatives, when you can. Vending machine food one day, a sandwich from home the next - 'twill save you money, too.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Wal-Mart has a vending machine that sells White Castle burgers? Is this available for the customers or just for the workers?
                    only for employees.
                    Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                    Can't you just hop on over to the packaged food aisle at Wal-Mart and get lunch there?
                    Yes I can walk from the front of the store to the back and clock out for lunch then walk through out the store and shop for my lunch, but then I'll need a wheelchair to wheel myself back to the employee lounge, then I won't be able to work for the rest of the day because my legs/feet will be dead.

The only time I "depend" on the vending machines are on the weekends - when I don't have a lunch break (or atleast the time for lunch).

Comment

Doc, which restaurant is located in the Walmart you work at? I believe most of them have McDonald's, right?

The one on Koreamoku has an L&L, which I stay away from. On the side of the building there's also a Golden Coin, Hanazen Japanese take-out and a couple other places I can't remember.

Helen, you can get those White Castle burgers (sliders) at Sam's Club in the freezer section.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]Yes I can walk from the front of the store to the back and clock out for lunch then walk through out the store and shop for my lunch, but then I'll need a wheelchair to wheel myself back to the employee lounge, then I won't be able to work for the rest of the day because my legs/feet will be dead.
                        Adrian...you're 20 years old fer cryin' out loud! Unless you have a physical disability, walking throughout the store shouldn't be a problem. Mom's with kids in tow do it all the time! So do tutus, for that matter!
                        The only time I "depend" on the vending machines are on the weekends - when I don't have a lunch break (or atleast the time for lunch).
                        Ummm...is that one of the WalMart employee abuse issues we've heard so much about over the past few years? Must admit I was surprised to learn that Hawaii doesn't have a meal break law. And it doesn't appears the federal government does either; rather, a reference to a meal break as it relates to work time. Here's a blog about it.

In the film industry meal breaks are mandated by union rules. Even non-union productions follow those rules. There'd be a mutiny on any set if cast and crew weren't given a meal break or were asked to rely on a vending machine!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Adrian...you're 20 years old fer cryin' out loud! Unless you have a physical disability, walking throughout the store shouldn't be a problem. Mom's with kids in tow do it all the time! So do tutus, for that matter!
                          Well, after a couple of hours walking up and down the parking lots pulling and pushing carts to the store, your legs/feet will cry out too. Maybe I gotta get used to it, then I'll start running through the store.

Ummm...is that one of the WalMart employee abuse issues we've heard so much about over the past few years? Must admit I was surprised to learn that Hawaii doesn't have a meal break law. And it doesn't appears the federal government does either; rather, a reference to a meal break as it relates to work time. Here's a blog about it.

In the film industry meal breaks are mandated by union rules. Even non-union productions follow those rules. There'd be a mutiny on any set if cast and crew weren't given a meal break or were asked to rely on a vending machine!
                          During the weekdays, I have one 15 minute break, because I work 5 hours. I use that break to stretch my legs and grab a bite to eat, but I feel that I can't get a meal in that time.

Comment

Well, after a couple of hours walking up and down the parking lots pulling and pushing carts to the store, your legs/feet will cry out too. Maybe I gotta get used to it, then I'll start running through the store.
                            Yep...you just need to get those leg muscles in optimal working order. Lotsa time at a computer can takes its toll. And...comfy shoes are seriously mandatory! During my casting sessions I'm always on my feet for at least 8 hours...no sitting down. Well, if I'm lucky, there's one speedy bathroom break in there, somewhere! My legs and feet can take it. My back's another story!
                            During the weekdays, I have one 15 minute break, because I work 5 hours. I use that break to stretch my legs and grab a bite to eat, but I feel that I can't get a meal in that time.
                            Aha...5 hour work days with a 15 min. break. Now I understand. The only way for a meal in that short time is to bring something already prepared from home.

Comment

Re: Can you survive on foods from vending machines?

dude, you are in WalMart.

Go in to the store and buy some *food*. A loaf of multigrain bread and some sandwich meat, or Hanalei poi and a can of sardines...

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X