"Grindhouse" by Tarantino and Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Grindhouse" by Tarantino and Rodriguez

you need to go see Grindhouse right away! It's going to become an even rarer experience in its 3-hour-and-10-minute double-feature exposition, as news just came in early today that The Weinstein Company may split each film up individually, just as they're going to do in Europe. But they're going to do it quickly, maybe even this weekend, right here in America.
    Source

I hope it's not true, In any case I'm not going to have a chance to see it for at least another 2 weeks
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      If you mean that the events in "Death Proof" take place before "Planet Terror" then yeah I agree with you there.
      This is not what I meant, but this is certainly true, as an event in "Death Proof" is referenced in "Planet Terror."
      Are you saying that in "Death Proof" that the second group of girls that Stuntman Mike targeted actually happened before the first group of girls?
      Yes, this is what I was saying, though trying to be a little less spoilery about it.

I can't see how they'd split the films. They need each other.

Comment

Spliting the film in two parts would be a bad idea. For one thing what is going to happen to the fake trailers?

I can see them making them as a double feature with an real intermission inbetween, it would do wonders for the consession stands and the restroom breaks.

It would work for a theater like the Varisty but not the multiplexes.

Comment

Planing on seeing it this weekend, I can't wait.

Little thrown off to see that Fergie is in it...
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

I was visiting a friend in Tennessee and we went to see Nicole Kidman's To Die For in a second-run theater. The bozo projectionist showed the reels in reverse order. We didn't figure that out until, well, we never figured it out. Another patron came over and told us after the show. All I could think was, wow. This film is amazingly inaccessible in some ways! I mean, someone dies halfway through the flick and then is SUDDENLY back alive with NO apparent reason or explanation.

I still haven't seen it the way it was meant to be seen.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Finally saw it tonight, had to drag the SO to it...
              I loved Planet Terror, much more accessible of the two. I'm getting old. The movie was very loud and a bit too gory. I expected campiness and got it. Loved it.
              Same complaints about Death Proof, too much useless dialogue, it didnt really even have anything quotable like his other movies (le big mac, i dont believe in tipping)
              I would actually pay to go see 'Machete'

IMDB gives it a 8.4/10, 19k votes. I think I'd give it a 5, would have been higher but DP dragged it down, IMO.

"God forgives... I dont"

An interesting link I found in the IMDB forums: What was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction
              Last edited by Hellbent; April 14, 2007, 01:36 AM.
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

woot! i just read on IMDB that Machete will be made as a direct to DVD released at the same time as Grindhouse is released on DVD!
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Noticed in Sam's Club that they are selling seperate DVD for Planet Terror and Death Proof. Each of them sells for roughly $13 and it is in a 2 disc DVD set.

Comment

I picked up the Death Proof DVD recently. It does contain scenes not originally in the Grindhouse theatrical release. But it will still have the abrupt splices/reel changes that gives the movie the feel of a 1970s grindhouse flick.

Watching it again, I can't help but think how Quentin Tarentino has seemingly fallen into a rut with creating yet another anachronistic movie, a la Kill Bill. But instead of overlapping genres like the former, you had overt little items thrown in to create this pastiche. What started as a genuinely mid-1970s setting, complete with all the music and clothing/hair styles from that time, was disrupted by Kurt Russell's character mentioning Gavilan (a short-lived 1980s TV series, for those who didn't know) and then one of the other characters using a cell phone to send a text message. (This, at a time when only doctors used to carry pagers.)

Then of course, there was the presentation itself. Yes, the first half of Death Proof does have the specks, skips, and muted colors to give it the '70s feel. But then right in the middle, it inexplicably switches to black-and-white for a good 15-20 minutes. Then it suddenly switches to back to color for the rest of the movie. But this time, the color is bright and crisp, with none of the faux specks and distortions from the first part.

Call me clueless. But I just don't "get" what Tarentino was trying to do here. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adored his work on Jackie Brown.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X