Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

After reading what I started in the kaukau forum, I decided to expand it here.

Originally posted by doc1456
    I sometimes do it. Its "normal" for someone to take a pic with their camera phone, but when I bust out my digital camera (even though its small) I get stares - especially if I forget to turn off the flash.
    Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    It's not unusual at all, especially in sit-down restaurants. In fact, many restaurants have a sort of "no photos of the food" policy because of the prolificity of food blogs. Restaurants are worried that a bad photo will mean bad publicity for the restaurant, and the higher-end restaurants just don't like not having control of the images that get out.

They've got a good point, and the truth is that when you're in a building or a place of business, it's generally polite anyway to ask for permission to take photos. Anything you can see from a public space (like, from the street) is beyond anyone else's control, but if you're going to be taking pictures of the interiors of buildings, you really should ask for permission. For food, I usually don't.

I've dined with people (that's you, Lynn!) who were asked not to take pictures and then basically said, "Try and stop me!" And I think most restaurants won't risk the negative vibe by pushing it...if you INSIST on taking pictures, they'll probably act like they don't see it once they've asked you nicely not to.

And then I've seen cameras bring out the better service. I've dined with people who took pictures of absolutely everything (that's you, Ryan!) and receive free drinks, free food, and an interview with the owner!
    + other replies (from this thread)

Where wouldn't you snap a picture? (other than the obvious places - like in the bathroom, down a female's blouse, etc)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: when isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

HAHAHAHAHA

I just saw Scriv's note about me!

So TRUE!

Yep! Tel me NOT TO...and moa I GOING DO UM!

Why? Badda you? Don't let it!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sometimes people like to take pics when attending a religious function that's not their personal religion (like being invited to an Indian temple and being Christian). Cameras come out. It's very disruptive. No matter how "pretty and colorful" and "exotic" a ceremony may seem because it's not something YOU are used to doesn't mean you have a right to take pics without permission. Arrrggh. Pet peeve o'mine.

Sometimes if I end up snapping pics of medical/education/military professionals in a bar/R-rated place, I have to be careful to not post them or share them with friends because some individuals are worried about their public image.

Comment

http://www.comics.com/comics/betty/a...-20070311.html

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
          Sometimes people like to take pics when attending a religious function that's not their personal religion (like being invited to an Indian temple and being Christian). Cameras come out. It's very disruptive. No matter how "pretty and colorful" and "exotic" a ceremony may seem because it's not something YOU are used to doesn't mean you have a right to take pics without permission. Arrrggh. Pet peeve o'mine.
          I'm imagining an open-casket Roman Catholic funeral, with some (Buddhist) Japanese tourist snapping "one last photo" of the dearly departed. Eeeek.

Sometimes if I end up snapping pics of medical/education/military professionals in a bar/R-rated place, I have to be careful to not post them or share them with friends because some individuals are worried about their public image.
          Taking pictures is one thing. Posting them on the web is quite another.

Comment

At my wife's grandmother's funeral she asked if I could take a few pictures.

I figured I'd be discreet and went off in a corner to get a wide shot.

Then all of her grandmother's immediate relatives started gathering around the casket, cameras came out of nowhere and flashes were going off as if it were the deceased's birthday.

Some cultures have a different opinion about funeral pictures (was a Filipino funeral).

I'm no stranger to taking pictures in unusual situations but this one caught me off guard!

Comment

Other places where and when you wouldn't take a picture would be:
              • live theatre during a performance
              • doctor's waiting room
              • while a movie is going on in a theater

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                Other places where and when you wouldn't take a picture would be:
                • live theatre during a performance
                • doctor's waiting room
                • while a movie is going on in a theater
                shucks. I did 2/3 (and it was with my camera phone)
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Here is a question...is it impolite to take someones picture on the bus...with your camera phone...without permission??
                  I have had this done to me about 50 times.
                  I kind of find it rude.
                  Should I? I mean really?
                  But I don't know them....maybe I don't want a picture taken.
                  I have had people ask and usually I oblige.
                  But shouldnt I have a choice?
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                    Here is a question...is it impolite to take someones picture on the bus...with your camera phone...without permission??
                    I kind of find it rude.
                    Should I? I mean really?
                    it is more than impolite to take a picture of someone without their permission, my adamant opinion is that it's an invasion or even an assault. you don't know what a person is going to do with that picture of you. i can understand if i am accidentally in the shot, like when i'm at a club or public place and you're taking a pic of your friends and i happen to be somewhere in there. but if you take a pic of me and I'M the subject of the shot, full-face-frontal? nuh-uh. i march over there and ask you to delete it (most times, it's a cell cam or digicam, luckily for me) and tell you why.

i know some might think i'm paranoid (do i fear part of my spirit is taken, along with my image? no.) and maybe even hypocritical, esp since i'm on myspace. but pics you choose to take or allow others to take is very diff from pics taken of you w/o your permission.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I think it is impolite to take pictures of people in public spaces, like on a bus or at the beach, but I do it all the time. Most of the time, they don't know. Is a breach in manners truly a breach if the subject of the photo doesn't even know the photo was taken?

If you are in a public place, it is by no means an invasion. I don't blame anyone for feeling this way, since I also LIKE to have control over who has my picture and who doesn't, but to call it assault or an invasion is unfair.

Finding clever ways to get photos of what's reasonably considered private, like the view up a woman's skirt, is certainly an invasion because of that "reasonable expectation of privacy." However, if you're in a public space, I've got the right to take a photo of you, and I probably will.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If I am in public that's different, but if someone sits right in front of you and just starts taking your picture.

Well, maybe they should just ask me.
                        It seems a bit personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                          Some cultures have a different opinion about funeral pictures (was a Filipino funeral)....
                          I know you didn't mean to stereotype... but I'm Filipino and would like to politely say that some families have different opinions with regards to some things. There were NO pictures taken at my grandfather's funeral.

Back on topic though... If you feel like you have to sneak around to take the picture... don't take it.
                          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                            I kind of find it rude.
                            Should I? I mean really?
                            I suppose your awsome pink hair would be the culprit of the picture taking hehe. Yeah they probably should be asking.
                            -kp!

Comment

Re: When isn't it "polite" to take pictures?

In early American culture it was common practice to take photo's of the dead.
                              They kept them for generations in loving memory.
                              I know it's taboo today but look back into some of the southern traditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X