Pet Food Recalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Food Recalls

I know I have this in the wrong section but I couldn'd find the pet section....sorry..

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

This was actually not for newswire release??!!

UNION, N.J. (AP) -- Silviene Grzybowski became worried when her local pet store pulled the food she normally feeds her cat and posted an announcement saying it, and many other popular pet foods, had been recalled. Her cat, Smokey, hadn't been eating for days.

"The vet told us to buy her her favorite food, but I'm going to call the vet right now," Grzybowski said.

Menu Foods, the Ontario, Canada-based company that produced the pet food, said Saturday it was recalling dog food sold throughout North America under 48 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was distributed by major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.

An unknown number of cats and dogs had suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said.

Two other companies - Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. - said Saturday that as a precaution they were voluntarily recalling some products made by Menu Foods.
    A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web site, http://www.menufoods.com/recall . The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information - (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708 - but callers kept the lines busy for much of Saturday.

Many stores that sold the affected brands frantically pulled packages off shelves.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: Pet Food Recall

I know all the Safeway stores pulled all the effected items from the shelves.
    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

We actually had 2 local cats die this week from the food and 5 more sick just in my area in Oregon.
      My dog was sick 2 weeks ago and the vet now thinks it was the food, I bought 3 little pouches and when she ate one she threw up and got sick.
      I threw the rest out.
      I wish I would have known sooner.

Comment

My cat at home died Friday night from kidney problems. Mom said Thursday night he was having some major issues and she made a Saturday appointment with the vet, but he didn't last that long. I was hoping we were gonna move back to the mainland sometime within the year so I could pick him up and take him with us. He was about 15 years old. He was eating two of the canned foods on the list.

This is Willy. He had one helluva life - his parents were prize-winning cats, but he wasn't so lucky - he was the runt of the litter. We weren't allowed to take him home immediately because he was so small, so he stayed with the cat ladies for a few months. He started out being a female kitten, but ended up being a male. When the vet told us we should probably find a new name, he also told us he had ringworm, so he went back to the cat ladies for a short time for treatment, which is when we named him Willy (cuz we freed Willy from the cat ladies). He never ended up having ringworm - the bumps were caused by occasional fleas. He loved small boxes, plastic bags, being combed and driving my mother nuts with fur everywhere. I'll miss the turds getting stuck to his hairy butt, him chasing my brother around the couch and his loud purring that would wake me up in the middle of the night.

Comment

KIDNEY failure was one of the main causes of death in these animals...you should research it.
          I am sorry about your cat. It's sad and terrible.

Comment

I don't own pets, but I do know that some folks will spend thousands of dollars at a time on their pets to pamper them or to treat illnesses. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the owners took legal action against menu foods.

Comment

Another pet food recall

Natural Balance pet foods is recalling all of its Venison dog food products and dry Venison cat food products. This voluntary recall is not because of tainted wheat gluten, but because of tainted RICE gluten. Melamine (the same toxic chemical that was discovered in wheat gluten from China) was detected in rice gluten that was produced in this country.

This is definitely a very ominous sign. The FDA denies that there is a problem with rice gluten...but they took 6 days after pet owners started complaining about their pets coming down with symptoms of kidney disease and dying to issue a national alert, so, how many days will it take the FDA this time?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Another pet food recall

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Natural Balance pet foods is recalling all of its Venison dog food products and dry Venison cat food products. This voluntary recall is not because of tainted wheat gluten, but because of tainted RICE gluten. Melamine (the same toxic chemical that was discovered in wheat gluten from China) was detected in rice gluten that was produced in this country.

This is definitely a very ominous sign. The FDA denies that there is a problem with rice gluten...but they took 6 days after pet owners started complaining about their pets coming down with symptoms of kidney disease and dying to issue a national alert, so, how many days will it take the FDA this time?

Miulang
                i don't own a pet at this time but all these pet food recalls are making me think that maybe twould be better, if ever i have shiba inus of my own, i will feed them from my own kitchen.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Pet Food Recalls

I use Merrick brand pet food, and so far I'm quite satisfied. I suppose making your own dog food is even better though!

Comment

I worry that this whole thing was just a warning. Look how widespread the poisonings were in a very short time. The "human food supply" isn't protected a whole lot better, despite what we would wish - our demand for year-round supplies of any vegetable, fruit or grain means that we get so much produce from overseas, where regulations are far less stringent. (Research "peas from China" to see where poisonous chemicals have already gotten through.)

Comment

First, wheat gluten, then rice gluten, now corn gluten. There's a theory floating around that the tainted products might not have been the result of accidents but a deliberate attempt to tamper with the quality of the products---to boost the levels of protein. It's a little too "coincidental" to have all 3 products be tainted with the same chemical.

As Leo said, pet food is supposed to be pure enough for people to eat. If we can't trust the quality of pet food, how sure are we about the quality and purity of the food we are eating? This just goes to prove how simple it would be to taint human food sources...biological terrorism that could sicken or kill off millions of people.

And the reason why companies are importing these ingredients? To maximize their profits. Same thing is going on now with chocolate manufacturers wanting to get permission to add additional ingredients to the milk chocolate in this country.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; April 20, 2007, 08:24 AM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sadly, it has now been reported that melamine-tainted feed also entered the human food supply via hog feed. Some of the hogs that were fed the tainted food ended up being slaughtered and consumed, although authorities claim that the hogs show no signs of kidney failure and they don't believe the humans who were exposed to the meat have suffered any affects either.

Miulang

Comment

First it was tainted pet food, then it spread to pig feed. Today the FDA announced that 38 poultry farms in Indiana also fed their animals tainted animal feed. When is this going to end???

Oh yeah, and the FDA says there's very little chance of anyone who eats potentially tainted meat will be affected by it. OK, so can we use the FDA inspectors as our guinea pigs???

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            [...]Oh yeah, and the FDA says there's very little chance of anyone who eats potentially tainted meat will be affected by it. OK, so can we use the FDA inspectors as our guinea pigs???

Miulang
                            Between that new scare and local PSAs warning of a possible pandemic down the road...and to learn how to cough and sneeze properly...a deserted island somewhere...anywhere...is looking real good!

Comment

Working...
                            X