Genoa (not our beloved Auntie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genoa (not our beloved Auntie)

Aloha, I was just wondering if the name of the city in Italy and that brand of salami are pronounced like her name, or with an accent on the e. Does anyone know? I don't want to have to go up to a person at the delly, ask for salami, and pronounce it wrong. Also, I'd be nervous about going to Italy, having trouble getting to the city, and pronouncing it wrong when I ask someone for directions. Mahalo.
    'Alika

Re: Genoa (not our beloved Auntie)

accent is on the "e" - not pronounced like auntie's name.
    Last edited by anapuni808; March 18, 2007, 01:27 PM. Reason: I can't spell :)
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Probably woud not matter how you pronounce Genoa if you went to Italy. The real name (in Italy) is Genóva. Many italian city names have anglicized versions (Milano, Roma, Napoli, Firenze etc.).

Reminds me of an old 'joke" in the travel boards about some tourists traveling between Milan and Florence. They completely missed their train stop and ended up at the end of the line in Rome as they kept looking for "Florence" when they didn't realize the real name was "Firenze"
      n'importe

Comment

Off topic:

If you're going to tell someone to get off the freeway in La Jolla, make sure you tell him or her how it's spelled. When I was a kid, my dad drove past it a million times trying to find my grandpa's new house.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mahalo nui loa ia 'oukou.
          'Alika

Comment

Working...
          X