Recipe Call- fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recipe Call- fish

marinate your fish with italian dressing. bake. eat...

with salmon - sprinkle fillet with lemon juice, pepper...whip up mayo and minced garlic, spread on top the fishie and bake.

if you guys ever have the chance. try the tasmanian salmon or a bluenose.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      OMG, Scriv...this sounds outrageous! I just may have to replace my George Forman salmon with yours!
      I am a man of many talents. Where's that daughter of yours?

When I say "don't be stingy" with the feta and pesto, i mean it. Really cover the top. Pat it on so it looks like an iced cake.

Oh, and if you have leftover pesto and/or feta (and no scruples), mix it in with the mashed potatoes! Holy cow.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I am a man of many talents. Where's that daughter of yours?
        Last I heard, planning a trip to Greece in July and Antarctica in November. Antarctica???? Whatever floats her boat, I guess. She'd better not miss a family trip to Kona in October.

Antarctica???
        When I say "don't be stingy" with the feta and pesto, i mean it. Really cover the top. Pat it on so it looks like an iced cake.[...]
        Can't wait to try it.

Comment

If I lazy, I buy one of them marinated boneless milkfish (or bangus) and fry it. If I have a potato in the house, prepare to make fries using the already hot oil after the bangus. Use tartar sauce as condiment and I get filipino fish-n-chips.

If I really lazy to go to the store, I make fried fish patties with can tuna, eggs, maybe some small tomatoes cut up and finely chopped green onion, a little mayo or tartar sauce for binder, a pinch sea salt and/or shoyu.

Sorry, I not fancy cook.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

some simple stuff ~ Hooligan (smelt) or Akule sprinkled with salt and pepper, dusted with flour and fried. For the Akule, sometimes I stuff the cavity with miso mixed with chopped green onions and a little brown sugar and then dust with flour and fry.

I also like snapper or Moi steamed then sprinkled with cilantro, Fukujinzuke (pickled vegetables in a soy sauce base), and green onions then a little hot peanut oil poured over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              some simple stuff ~ Hooligan (smelt) or Akule sprinkled with salt and pepper, dusted with flour and fried. For the Akule, sometimes I stuff the cavity with miso mixed with chopped green onions and a little brown sugar and then dust with flour and fry.

I also like snapper or Moi steamed then sprinkled with cilantro, Fukujinzuke (pickled vegetables in a soy sauce base), and green onions then a little hot peanut oil poured over it.
              You see why I not fancy cook. I don't know what the heck I'm gonna do with cilantro.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Held off posting this cuz I wanted to see what everyone else came up with........

IMHO, one of the biggest advantages of living in Hawaii is not having to go to Safeway if you want to eat fish. In a former life, time underwater was a source of income for me.

http://www.hawaiiskindiver.net/store/board.php

try look under "Recipes". Some easy, some not so easy. All fisherman tested and ono.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Don't forget Poke and Sashimi. The only way to eat Ahi when it's prime and fresh.

Sashimi recipe is easy. Serve thin slices of raw ahi over a bed of also-thinly sliced fresh raw cabbage, with a bowl of shoyu mixed with Coleman's Mustard for dipping sauce.

Poke is easy too. I like this version: Dice raw ahi into 3/4" cubes and toss it with Ogo (seaweed), Shoyu, Mirin, diced Maui Onion and chopped Green Onions.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ah, fried akule. Mmmmm. We like ours plain fried like you mentioned, but the wife and daughter don't like the bones so I usually have to fillet them. I always end up eating the fried bones dipped in shoyu, grated daikon and thai chili pepper sauce. Same with papio, if can find. If no more any fish, we go to Dot's. They always have somekind of fresh fish.

Moi! Dad used to go fishing every weekend and we'd have Korean style baked moi at least once a week. Nice 3 to 4 pounders. Not that puny farm raised stuff they have nowdays. I won't touch those. They don't even taste the same as wild moi. Moi holes all fished out nowdays. So sad.

Mom used to simply pour homemade Korean BBQ sauce (Kalbi sauce) over a scored fish and bake. When done, Dad poured hot peanut oil over the top.

OH, for no clean up fish, my wife gets either mahi or salmon and places it on alum. foil. Salt and pepper, a slab of butter, a couple slices of lemon and capers. She seals the foil tightly and bakes for 20 minutes. We eat as is or use a filadeni sauce for dipping. Just shoyu, lemon juice, dice round onion and crushed Hawaiian chili pepper. Those small, potent kind.

Comment

Random: Get lots of things to do with cilantro, assuming you like cilantro

Pomai: *hangs head in shame* I never make my own poke. But that sounds good.

Da Rolling Eye: Your wife and daughters are lucky you will debone fish for them. If I complained my mother would always tell me that the tastiest fish have a lot of bones so it's the price of having good fish Your recipe for the bones and your other fish recipes sound wonderful.

Comment

Anyone got a recipe for sea bass? I love it when someone makes it for me, but I dont have any recipes for it...
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Oh, and who gets the fish eyes?

Comment

Oh, and who gets the fish eyes?
                            Mmmm...das the best part. Dat and da BRAINS!!!

I love to suck da little buggers out of the suckets!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm also a big Fish 'N Chips fan, with a generous squeeze of Lemon and some cocktail sauce for dippin'.

Alexander's in Kihei, Maui lets you choose Ahi, Mahi or Ono. Ono always for me. Their batter is a modified Tempura type, with herbs mixed in. The best I've ever had. Heard it's operated by new owners now.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

eric found this ginger-shiitake cream recipe online for ahi, but it's good for the costco salmon, too:

season fish with salt and pepper and sear. remove from pan and keep warm. for sauce: saute garlic & finely chopped ginger in butter. add sliced shiitake mushrooms. add whipping cream and a little soy sauce. simmer sauce until coats the back of spoon, making sure to stir every now and again. add chiffonade-ed cilantro, stir, and turn off heat. pour liberally on fish. for that matter, pour liberally on rice, cause it's that good. you can substitute half and half or milk for the cream if you want to be healthier.

a few months after eric made this recipe for me, i had lunch at l'uraku and found they have a similar ginger cream fish entree, but i promise that eric's version is better.

a fish recipe i grew up eating, great for akule: saute ginger, onion and garlic in a little oil. lay well-salted/peppered fish on top and add vinegar bring to boil then simmer just long enough to cook through, covered. mmmm... pinaksiw--a filipino fish dish that can sometimes make me shed a few tears in remembrance of my mama (grandma), who used to make it all the time.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X