Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Hawaii observe Daylight Savings Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why doesn't hawaii observe daylight savings time?

I was tickled to discover that Arizona doesn't observe DST.

While it's cool to be able to catch X-Files reruns now, due to DST, I don't really like being separated by 3 hours from most of the people I "hang" out with.

Comment

also as a PS, Daylight Savings Time is not just in the US, it is observed in many countries around the world. I understand during World War II, in the UK, they enacted a double daylight savings of 2 hours.
      n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
        DLS is primarily to save energy:
        http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html
        The California Energy Commission also released another study showing that the expected offset in energy consumption with the 2007 change would be negligible, and possibly have the reverse effect on energy savings.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Sinjin. The article had a lot of interesting info. But I still don't understand the energy savings. It still seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Thanks, also, for your link Leo Likia. I am suspicious about the energy claims too.

It all just seems so unnatural. Maybe it is because I am able to base most of my activities on the sun, not on the clock. I go out and work when the sun comes up, and come in when it goes down. Winter days, I just have to come in earlier. Here on Kauai, we have no lights, so hardly anybody drives at night anyway. Not that we have too far to go. I guess I am lucky to live where I live.

I guess I will drop my rant and stop trying to convince the rest of the world to go along with us. Everybody else seems to like it or is convinced it is saving them something. Time to save my own energy.

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
            I guess I will drop my rant and stop trying to convince the rest of the world to go along with us. Everybody else seems to like it or is convinced it is saving them something. Time to save my own energy.
            Yup. Everybody should stop using Time Zones and Date Line, and be on Hawaiian Time.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation), Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, and American Samoa are the U.S. states/territorities/whatevahs that do not observe daylight savings time.

It's a rebel thing, maybe?

Or perhaps a practical thing. In NY, when I was kid, there was a year when we gave up the DST/EST thing. In the morning darkness that ensued a boy that I went to school with was hit and killed by a school bus. It was determined that one of the factors contributing to his death was the darkness of the autumn morning after the DST edict was suspended. His tragedy was cited as one of the reasons to go back to the DST schedule.

NY now has the DST/EST thing, but I believe a later schedule will be in effect next year. Or maybe it already happened. All I know is I wish the later DST sked would have been in effect when my kids were little.

DST always went into effect the weekend BEFORE Halloween. So it would be damn near dark in NY by about 4:30 in the afternoon. Cold, dark---and really crappy for trick-or-treating.

Comment

Yes, I do have to say during DST during the FALL portion of the year the hours don't seem like the actual time.

7PM does not seem like 7PM. Looking around you seems like 8:30, 8:45 or better yet 9PM depending how dark around you it really is.

Comment

Re: Why doesn't Hawaii observe Daylight Savings Time?

Why Hawaii people don't observe DST? It would be worst if you add an hour to the already late Hawaiian time arrival.

Comment

Working...
                  X