Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheesey Gravy Burgers

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I've had them, but only on the Big Island. Actually, I don't think I ever had a grvay CHEESEburger, but I did have more than my fair share of gravyburgers. Every plate-lunch take-out place has them on the menu. They basically dip the hamburger in gravy before putting it on your bun and wrapping it. I don't remember seeing gravy cheeseburgers there, but that doesn't mean they didn't have them. I was poor, and the cost of two gravyburgers was small; two gravy cheeseburgers might have been out of my range.

Anyone who knows Hilo: Across the street from Ando Store was a take-out place that sold gravyburgers for super-cheap. What was the name of that place? I used to work at Ando Store and would stop there on my way to work to grab that day's lunch: Usually two gravyburgers.
    Kandi's Drive in. Why has gravy burgers never caught on on Oahu? The loco moco did.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Always have gravy burgers when we had Dairy Queen`s on Maui. Now it`s called Treats N Sweet`s and they still have gravy burgers.........
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Kandi's also serves a PORK 'N PEAS plate lunch ............

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          No, but I WANT ONE now, thanks to you! I'll fly to the Big Island for one if I have to, but does anyone here on O`ahu have 'em?
          [/drool]
          Originally posted by Kory K View Post
          You can always go to a place that serves burgers and loco moco's and ask for a cheeseburger with a side of gravy and put it on yourself. You may get a few odd looks but it works.
          Do it during the lunch rush, and maybe others will want to try it. Once it catches on, we'll be albe to talk about how we remember "the birth of the LikaBurger."
          Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          Growing up East Coast, a big thing back there was dippin the fries in gravy....so I just out it on the burger now too.
          Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
          I wondered where that came from?! I like Dairy Queen's chicken basket because they have country gravy with the fries.
          VERY popular dish in Eastern Canada - Poutine. Fries with cheese curds & brown gravy. MMMMmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmm-heart-stoppin' good!

Comment

Kandi's. Ahhh. Memories. Double teri loco moco plate (4 scoops rice, 2 teri hamburgers, 2 scoops mac, gravy over) and a cheesey gravy burger boat (burger w/fries). Large slush float on hot days. I could eat a lot when I was younger. :P
            You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

LOL. You can get them at any fast food place that sells loco mocos. I agree, it's a heart stopper special but it tastes so good.
              I dunno. I would never add cheese to my loco moco, unless I replace the gravy with chili sauce or italian-style tomato sauce.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                Growing up East Coast, a big thing back there was dippin the fries in gravy....so I just out it on the burger now too.

Yummy!
                That reminds me, i've always wanted to try Poutine from Montreal. I bet it'd go well with a cheesy gravy burger!
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                  Kandi's Drive in. Why has gravy burgers never caught on on Oahu? The loco moco did.
                  I dunno. I'm picturing how does one eats a gravy burger. I'm guessing you don't pick it up by hands.

Comment

I'm off to Hilo tomorrow for the weekend. I have a gift certificate for Freddy's Restaurant. I'll also go to Nori's for their Friday special of shoyu pork. Also, Cafe 100, Jimmy's, Tsunami's, Itsu's, and a few other past haunts. And check out to see who, if anyone, still makes GRAVY BURGERS ............
                    Last edited by oceanpacific; March 29, 2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Please! I no like know WHERE...I like know WHAT!!

Pictures and recipes and building plans wanted.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's a normal hamburger dipped in brown gravy, cheese and lettuce optional.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                          I'm off to Hilo tomorrow for the weekend. I have a gift certificate for Freddy's Restaurant. I'll also go to Nori's for their Friday special of shoyu pork. Also, Cafe 100, Jimmy's, Tsunami's, Itsu's, and a few other past haunts. And check out to see who, if anyone, still makes GRAVY BURGERS ............
                          Freddy's and Itsu's should have gravy burgers, guaranteed.

Comment

Sort of like a hot roast beef sandwich? Is it served between mounds of mashed potatoes, rice, or fries, and covered with gravy all over?
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nope. It's just a burger with gravy on it. Nothing else special. But if you're looking for a little of the plate style burger try a hamburger steak plate. If you're lucky you get 2 home style patties, 2 scoops rice, onions and a scoop of mac salad with gravy over everything.

Comment

Dipped, or practically swimming in it?

Comment

Working...
                                X