Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    The thought came in mind when remembering that an Emmy award winner was angry when making his speech.
    Is it necessary to keep creating new threads with a slightly different subject when the old one will do?
    No, it's not. I thought (in post #141) that you were trying to think of a one season TV series where the actor made an angry Emmy speech. My mistake.

Judd Hirsch is currently on the tv series Numb3ers. I can't think of any other tv series he was on since Taxi.
    He was also in the late 1980s TV series, Dear John. It was a remarkable show that was able to find delightful humor about a sensitive topic; divorce.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should

I watched Dear John and I remember that I really loved it but can't remember much about it now other than the topic of divorce and I think they usually met at a therapist's office?

I really wish thirtysomething, The Wonder Years, and China Beach would all be released on DVD in their entirety. I have the complete series of thirtysomething on DVD that someone taped when it reran on Lifetime, so I'm glad just to have it any way I can. I just wish it could have an official DVD release. It's yet another show that remains unreleased due to music rights. I don't think any of them will see a release due to the music rights issues, but I sure wish something could be done to figure it out with the music intact.

Youtube has several eps of The Wonder Years and I enjoyed watching it even more from the perspective I've gained since my high school years when it originally ran.

Evening Shade was another great, well-written, quality show. Hal Holbrook always brings the awesome to anything he does. Its been released, but only for the first season.

Family, with James Broderick and Sada Thompson (phenomenal actress, does theatre mostly) has its first two seasons available and I have them, but I'd like to get the last two seasons. I wanna see the probably cheesetastic ep where Buddy (Kristy McNichol) decides not to have sex with Leif Garrett!

One Day at Time is another one that only offers the first or 1st/2nd season and I'd like to see more, but it got really hackneyed and cliched by the end of the series.

No one probably remembers Angie, and I highly doubt there's a market for it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that great, but for nostalgic reasons I'd love to see it again, if it were really, really cheap.

Rhoda is another one I wish would come out on DVD. Really, I think I just want all these shows for nostalgic reasons, but it would be nice if they were offered.
      Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
        I watched Dear John and I remember that I really loved it but can't remember much about it now other than the topic of divorce and I think they usually met at a therapist's office?
        Basically, the show followed the lives of members of a support group for newly divorced people. The characters were hilarious and every episode dwelled around problems that all divorcess can relate to. But of course, many people eventually re-marry and do find happiness in real life, and so did the fictional characters in Dear John. So that program was not destined for a long existence.

One Day at Time is another one that only offers the first or 1st/2nd season and I'd like to see more, but it got really hackneyed and cliched by the end of the series.
        ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend. While the move probably delighted the women's lib crowd, writing Masur's character out of the storylines seemed to have the effect of giving Pat Harrington's janitor character too much screen time.

But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance. At first, she was suspended and ordered to rehab. Then she later returned, but within a year, relapsed again and was fired from the show. While a newcomer watching ODAAT in syndication might pick on the show for being uneven in quality towards the end, they might not be aware that it was a minor miracle that the producers and writers were somehow able to continue putting out episodes on schedule, despite all the upheaval and turmoil going on behind the scenes.

Rhoda is another one I wish would come out on DVD. Really, I think I just want all these shows for nostalgic reasons, but it would be nice if they were offered.
        The first season of Rhoda finally is coming out in a couple of months, along with the complete Mary Tyler Moore Show set. But the final two season of the 1970s Bob Newhart Show (another program from the MTM production stable) remains in limbo.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          I don't think I'm being "feistily argumentative," anymore than you are.
          To put it simply: when you have questions about what a poster says, you tend not to pose those questions, concerns or disagreements in a manner that is respectful of that poster's statements. Instead, you often dart around, changing the focus of your comments in order to prolong argument with them, even though it is possible (gasp!) that there are people posting to this board who actually know more than you do on a specific topic, and post based on their knowledge, experience and information, rather than speculation or a Google/Wikipedia search.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            To put it simply: when you have questions about what a poster says, you tend not to pose those questions, concerns or disagreements in a manner that is respectful of that poster's statements. Instead, you often dart around, changing the focus of your comments in order to prolong argument with them, even though it is possible (gasp!) that there are people posting to this board who actually know more than you do on a specific topic, and post based on their knowledge, experience and information, rather than speculation or a Google/Wikipedia search.
            Leo, in case you didn't take the time to read post #151 in this thread, I did admit I made a mistake and that I did misunderstand WB's earlier question.

You accuse me of prolonging arguments. Yet, who's the one kicking this dead horse now?

Comment

Judd Hirsch is currently on the tv series Numb3ers. I can't think of any other tv series he was on since Taxi.
              Oddly enough he was in another sitcom series on CBS with Bob Newhart and Jason Bateman which only lasted for a season.

I had to check IMDb on this entry because I couldn't remember the series name of George & Leo.

Comment

Yet, who's the one kicking this dead horse now?
                In case you didn't notice - you still seem to have your kicking-boots on, too.

Anyone else remember "Hot l Baltimore"? Lasted a half-season in 1975, was a Norman Lear creation (based on a successful play), but flopped on tv. I recall that it may have been the first U.S. sitcom to depict a gay couple. (The title refers to a neon sign for the "Hotel Baltimore," but with the "e" in "Hotel" burned-out.)

Comment

ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend.
                  After all this time, I don't remember any of that.

But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance.
                  I'll agree with that. Without MP's character, there just wasn't much to work with. I rapidly lost interest at that point.

Comment

ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend. While the move probably delighted the women's lib crowd, writing Masur's character out of the storylines seemed to have the effect of giving Pat Harrington's janitor character too much screen time.

But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance. At first, she was suspended and ordered to rehab. Then she later returned, but within a year, relapsed again and was fired from the show. While a newcomer watching ODAAT in syndication might pick on the show for being uneven in quality towards the end, they might not be aware that it was a minor miracle that the producers and writers were somehow able to continue putting out episodes on schedule, despite all the upheaval and turmoil going on behind the scenes.
                    Oh, how I absolutely heart Richard Masur. I would love to see him in more film/tv but he mostly does theatre in NY now, or at least, it seems.

I was really little when ODAAT came out, but even I was aware of Phillips' issues at the time. I could swear I can still picture a People magazine cover story about it. I still remember the ep where Julie took off with her boyfriend Chuck, in a blue van, IIRC. See, I can remember this stuff, but the important details in my daily life? Fuggedaboutit.

When ODAAT was on, my parents were divorced (they actually ended up re-marrying each other, but that's another thread, I guess ) and it was me, my big sis, and my Mom living together. We used to pretend that my sis was Julie, I was Barbara, and mom was Annie.

The first season of Rhoda finally is coming out in a couple of months, along with the complete Mary Tyler Moore Show set. But the final two season of the 1970s Bob Newhart Show (another program from the MTM production stable) remains in limbo.
                    Yaaaay!! I just hope they release more than one season! I loved Rhoda and her scarves. I still wear scarves as do-rags when I don't feel like doing my hair. One of my favorite lines from that show was when Rhoda was about to eat a brownie or a piece of chocolate and said "Why do I even bother. I should just apply this directly to my hips!" I use that one all the time when I eat something I know I shouldn't.

Anyone else remember "Hot l Baltimore"? Lasted a half-season in 1975, was a Norman Lear creation (based on a successful play), but flopped on tv. I recall that it may have been the first U.S. sitcom to depict a gay couple. (The title refers to a neon sign for the "Hotel Baltimore," but with the "e" in "Hotel" burned-out.)
                    I don't remember the show, but the play it's based on is by Lanford Wilson.
                    Last edited by KeleiGrrrl; March 30, 2009, 06:39 PM.
                    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

He was also in the late 1980s TV series, Dear John. It was a remarkable show that was able to find delightful humor about a sensitive topic; divorce.
                      I used to watch that show and forgot that Judd Hirsch played the main character. I just remembered the Jere Burns' character who stole scenes on the show.
                      Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 30, 2009, 09:01 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Since I am listed as the originator of this post, may I request that it be retitled something grammatically correct, such as "TV Series That Haven't Been Released on DVD but Should Be?" Thank you.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I used to watch that show and forgot that Judd Hirsch played the main character. I just remembered the Jere Burns' character who stole scenes on the show.
                          What I remember is that the theme song was sung by Wendy and Mary, a wonderful folk-pop duo whose "The Wind Came Singing" is a CCM classic. Great theme song.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

The recent release of the complete Beat-Club TV series (a German pop/rock music show from the 1960s & '70s) on DVD has brought to mind another show that is still in limbo. Night Flight was a USA Network program that run during the 1980s, featuring very eclectic forms of entertainment. It had music videos that ran all the way from the then "new-wave" artists like Devo and Split Enz, all the way to the aforementioned Beat-Club clips featuring the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, and the MC5. Besides the music, there were an unpredictable array of clips from horror flicks, comedy shorts, Japanese anime, and underground film-makers. I am aware of some bootleg collections on DVD-R that are sold on the net, but it would be nice to have an official set of the material, taken from pristine sources.

Comment

• Re: TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              (or at least really want on DVD)

Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1990-1993, 73 episodes)
                              This show came to mind with the death of John Hughes. This series was similiar, but better than the Ferris Bueller's Day Off tv series.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                "The State" - sketch comedy show that ran a few seasons on MTV; potential DVD release has been held up for years due to negotiations over the rights.
                                One more down - just came out a couple weeks ago, in a multi-disc set with scads of bonus material.

Now...I still want the UK sketch-comedy show, "Alas Smith & Jones."

Comment

Working...
                                X