Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    It should be episode 16 in the season two boxed set that came out in July.
    If you look up the "Hawaii Five-0" thread, you'll find some discussion saying that Bored, She Hung Herself was NOT a part of the official 2nd season DVD box set. And in fact, it is missing.

I happen to have a bootleg copy of this lost episode. But if I can find another copy that matches the quality of the other episodes found on the official DVD set, that would be cherry.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The postings on Usenet are just from the DVD set you know about, apparently. In place of episode 16 is this note: "This was not added to Season 2 DVD set due to a legal battle from the first airing."
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        If you look up the "Hawaii Five-0" thread, you'll find some discussion saying that Bored, She Hung Herself was NOT a part of the official 2nd season DVD box set. And in fact, it is missing.
        Thanks - I thought I remembered such a discussion, but my internet connection went south just after that posting.

Apparently, legal issues over a copycat suicide kept this episode out of syndication (and, one assumes) off this set as well. Series creator Leonard Freeman's widow spoke of it at a convention back in 1996. Paramount simply says the episode is "not available." Bootleg is your only present option, it seems.

Comment

The episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" was posted 50 days ago in alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows. It's a 600 megabyte .avi file. The picture and sound are poor.
          Greg

Comment

Apparently, legal issues over a copycat suicide kept this episode out of syndication (and, one assumes) off this set as well. Series creator Leonard Freeman's widow spoke of it at a convention back in 1996. Paramount simply says the episode is "not available." Bootleg is your only present option, it seems.
            I know of that story. In Yahoo's Hawaii Five-0 discussion group, Mike Quigley speculated that the same legal issues/aggrement that kept "Bored" out of syndication is the same obstacle that is holding back its release on DVD. I think that's poppycock! First of all, even if some kind of out-of-court settlement was made to take that episode out of syndication, surely its terms could not have been made to cover a DVD release. Remember, this is 1970 we are talking about! How could anyone have foreseen the idea of the show being released on home video/DVD back then?

I think the reason why "Bored" is not on DVD is because Paramount is too CHEAP! They're willing to spend the money to restore episodes that can be used on both DVD and syndication. But they won't do it for an episode that can't be used for syndication. That sucks! I mean, CBS included the episode, "The Encounter" in its Twilight Zone 5th season DVD box, even though that particular show has been out of syndication because of its controversial nature. Yet, Paramount/CBS can't be bothered to do the same for a supressed episode of Hawaii Five-0?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

In Yahoo's Hawaii Five-0 discussion group, Mike Quigley speculated that the same legal issues/aggrement that kept "Bored" out of syndication is the same obstacle that is holding back its release on DVD. I think that's poppycock! First of all, even if some kind of out-of-court settlement was made to take that episode out of syndication, surely its terms could not have been made to cover a DVD release. Remember, this is 1970 we are talking about! How could anyone have foreseen the idea of the show being released on home video/DVD back then?

I think the reason why "Bored" is not on DVD is because Paramount is too CHEAP!
              Cheap, yeah. But not for restoration costs. Why would they choose to skip work on one single episode, knowing full well the flak they will be (are) subjected to for not doing that one?

I suspect it would be on the advice of their lawyers. Even 35 years ago, a legal settlement (who says it was "out-of-court?") could be worded to say that the episode may not be shown, displayed, syndicated or distributed in any form. Even in a vague agreement, the legal team will be skittish and will discourage any option that could open the company up to further legal action - they'll take the safer path.

Comment

Cheap, yeah. But not for restoration costs. Why would they choose to skip work on one single episode, knowing full well the flak they will be (are) subjected to for not doing that one?.
                You ask, "Why would they [Paramount] choose to skip work on one single episode,...? Well, that's not the only thing Paramount took a short cut on, my friend. On the season 2 DVDs, the studio even re-used the season 1 intro. (The season 1 intros listed James MacArthur's character as being "Danny." The original season 2 intro changed this to "Dan Williams.") Now, if Paramount is too cheap to restore the original season 2 intro, which is only slightly less than a minute long, then yeah, I can easily believe they would also be too cheap to restore a complete episode.

I suspect it would be on the advice of their lawyers. Even 35 years ago, a legal settlement (who says it was "out-of-court?") could be worded to say that the episode may not be shown, displayed, syndicated or distributed in any form. Even in a vague agreement, the legal team will be skittish and will discourage any option that could open the company up to further legal action - they'll take the safer path.
                Fascinating exercise in speculation. But I'll stick with known facts. And the fact is that Paramount re-used the season 1 intros instead of restoring the season 2 intros. That move, in and of itself, is a cost-saving measure. Hence, I'll stick with my earlier statement. Paramount left off "Bored, She Hung Herself" because they are too CHEAP.

Comment

Fascinating exercise in speculation. But I'll stick with known facts. And the fact is that Paramount re-used the season 1 intros instead of restoring the season 2 intros. That move, in and of itself, is a cost-saving measure. Hence, I'll stick with my earlier statement. Paramount left off "Bored, She Hung Herself" because they are too CHEAP.
                  Your earlier statement is also speculation, you realize? Unless you have inside experience (which would not surprise me, since you are certainly knowledgeable about some aspects of the broadcast industry), you're only able to guess - just like me. Though I do have experience in broadcasting (and connections to the legal profession) to guide my speculation; perhaps you do as well.

Comment

Talk about a mega-set --- any "Man From U.N.C.L.E." fans? You will want to know about this (and this.)

Comment

Yay! They are finally releasing one of the series on my want list.

Comment

The Middleman, while it is available on iTunes I sort of wish it is available on DVD.

Duck Dodgers would be another series that I would wish it will be out on DVD.
                        Last edited by helen; December 30, 2008, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The cult tv series Get a Life starring Late Night Show with David Letterman alum Chris Elliot and his irreverent humor at its finest.

Comment

Dexter and Pushing Daisies.

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
                              Dexter and Pushing Daisies.
                              Those are both available on DVD. Check Scrivener's explanation regarding this thread.

Comment

They finally released Get Smart, season 1. I bought several sets this past Christmas but none was for me. Hope to bring one home next month.

I'd really like to see the first couple of seasons of The John Larroquette Show when it was still good. Also the one and only season of It's Your Move, mostly because I never did see the second part of that Dregs of Humanity episode. And for reasons that should be obvious, Double Trouble. Seriously, I can't be the only one. Is Hollywood listening?
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X