CompUSA parking fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompUSA parking fiasco

Has anyone on HT received the email exposing the Ala Moana CompUSA's parking policy? It's quite lengthy and is being discussed in a Mac email list group I subscribe to. Someone has already checked out the story and reported it's true. Scary stuff. If anyone feels I should copy and paste it to HT I'm happy to do it. Thought I'd ask first!

Re: CompUSA parking fiasco

Post it! Nope, I haven't heard a thing about this.

Comment

It's been filling up the messageboard at Craigslist Honolulu for the past couple of days.

Comment

Keanu...since the email is so lengthy, can you please post the Craiglist URL? I couldn't find the discussion. Thanx...

Comment

Here are a couple of links....

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/rnr/

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/7011/page/1

Comment

Thanks, Keanu. This link is the same as the email.

Comment

I read all those comments, and it doesn't sound especially newsworthy to me. What is it about the story that catches your interest, sue?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I read all those comments, and it doesn't sound especially newsworthy to me. What is it about the story that catches your interest, sue?
                I can't speak for Sue, but it caught my interest because it was just another case of the "big bad corporation" picking on the little guy.

It's being posted and reposted by everyone on my friends list on MySpace and even though the author's daughter and Lily violated CompUSA's parking rules, people are being so quick to take action and get pissy because they sympathize with the regular people supposedly being screwed over.

While I do feel for her daughter and for Lily and the fact that I refuse to ever shop at that CompUSA (or any other one for that matter) because of their extremely [insert expletive here] service, they did violate the store's parking rule. Instead of "Boycott CompUSA," she should try and focus on a more realistic goal and see if she can get 24/7 Towing shut down.

I wonder if she really is in trouble because she was allegedly writing her complaints during work time?

And finally, I'm no PR expert, but considering Ms. Aldinger's profession, I thought she could have done a better job with her written complaint, sorry.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Newsworthy or not...It's just plain rotten.

CompUSA is in some financial trouble as well. closing stores and so on, this will definitely NOT help them in the public eye.

Isn't there some sort of person keeping track of who's parking there, like a lot attendant or a tire marker or something ?

Even worse is the towing company...THEY are the real criminals here, it's sounds like to me.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Following the links, it looks like the real bad guy is the towing comp. They failed to properly follow up when a customer is there to claim their car.

Comment

If you root through the comments at that complaintboard link above, you'll find a message from the GM of the tow service, and his version of the story is (predictably) different.

Lei, what about the "little guy" who actually plans to shop at CompUSA but can never get a stall there because all the other little guys are parking there to go conduct business at Restaurant Row or at Homeland Security?

I'm not defending the store; in those hours before opening, it should cut people some slack. However, it sounds like there are a lot of sides to this story and I wouldn't be quick to pick a side.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wow. That thing needs an executive summary.
                        • They parked in CompUSA's parking lot before the store was open, and walked to a competing retail establishment with which I am certain CompUSA already has an adversarial parking relationship.
                        • They got their cars towed, including a rental car.
                        • They had a hard time getting their cars back, because the tow company sucked.
                        I love the little details... like how small and unintimidating Lily is. And the extensive testimonials from perfect strangers about how mean the tow company guy was.

All tow companies are rotten. So don't park where you shouldn't. I mean, I got towed all the time living in Waikiki, and you know what? It was my own damned fault.

CompUSA is not Manoa Marketplace. I really love that comparative detail. I'm adding it to my "People in Manoa Live in an Alternate Universe" file. GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY! GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY! Sheesh.

"The whole ordeal took us nearly 3 hours," writes Charlene Aldinger. I shudder to think how long it took to write that all up. (Let alone for others to read it.) Yet she seems to focus most of her ire at CompUSA, which seems in the right here, rather than the tow guy, against whom all kinds of legitimate gripes could be made (except, again, that all tow guys suck). And as someone noted, a boycott of CompUSA seems a bit silly, since the company is doing a fine job of putting itself out of business already.
                        If you root through the comments at that complaintboard link above, you'll find a message from the GM of the tow service, and his version of the story is (predictably) different.
                        Wow. I hadn't even gotten to the comments. That's the best part of this whole thing. Folks affiliated with CompUSA are coming out of the woodwork, some to say "you got what you deserved" and others with an axe to grind with current management. Other supposed witnesses (claiming they went all the way down to the Federal Building, not to Restaurant Row) are surfacing. And now all manner of mention of Aldinger's employer, Bishop Museum. Dave Domzalski of 24 7 Parkinc. 24 7 Tow notes that she even invoked her employer during her rants.

Considering the overall tone of the "Complaints Board" site, I'm actually a bit impressed that most folks quickly concluded that Aldinger was in the wrong. So much for finding a sympathetic audience.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          What caught my interest the most is that the incident happened! You don't find many of those on the internet! I really just felt a discussion could be on topic here while it isn't in the Mac email list...altho' it is getting a little attention without anyone screaming "OFF TOPIC"...yet!!! Of course, the list contains Mac vendors so I'm guessing they're luvin' more negative CompUSA comments!!! A member of a neighborhood board on that list verified the story.

While I'm not a fan of that retailer I feel the "bad guy" is the towing company...but I think CompUSA should take some heat for contracting with 24/7.

Comment

I read the entire lengthy first page on that complaint link. That lady Charlene apparently has a legitimate complaint against the towing company, but her anger at CompUSA seems way overblown. I agree with one poster there who wrote that it would've been better for the store to leave a note on the windshield and wait for a couple of hours before towing, but that's as far as I go on this one, especially since other facts seem to be coming out that disprove parts of her original story.
                            Interesting that she apparently is the PR Director for Bishop Museum. Pretty dumb move on her part to publicize and try to take advantage of that title, since the errand to CompUSA was personal and not on museum business. Her actions have given the museum more of a black eye than it has to CompUSA.
                            The whole thing is much ado about nothing, with the exception being that some agency should take a hard look at the towing company.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I read the exact thing on another local forum.

This is why I think every car should come equipped with some deterrent to harm people who touch or come near cars.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X