Frozen Meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Meals

What's your favorite frozen meal? I'd like to keep a small stash of frozen stuff, for when I'm late and tired at the end of the work day. I usually have California Pizza and frozen Zippy's chili. I've never tried any of those Stouffers or similar frozen meals. Are they any good?

Re: Frozen Meals

Haven't bought frozen ready-meal for a while though. The only time I get frozen ready-meal is the leftover from parties.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
      What's your favorite frozen meal? I'd like to keep a small stash of frozen stuff, for when I'm late and tired at the end of the work day. I usually have California Pizza and frozen Zippy's chili. I've never tried any of those Stouffers or similar frozen meals. Are they any good?
      Don't tell anyone, but the Stouffers Macaroni & Cheese has made its way into our shopping cart on more than one occasion. The Safeway house brand of meat lasagna is also quite tasty; it comes in a variety of sizes and is often on sale. If you can find Claim Jumper brand frozen turkey, chicken or beef pies, they are really good.

Comment

Marie Callender's. I try to get em on sale at Times. If not, then at the Commissary. My favorite meals are the Country Fried Steak (so bad for you, but so good!), the Slow Roasted Beef, the Salisbury Steak, and the Fettucine Alfredo.

I also swear by Sabatasso's French Bread Pizza from Costco.

Those two usually take up the bulk of my freezer because I can't cook.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

My last favorite frozen meal was beef Gyu Don and used to keep my freezer stocked with the stuff. Before that it was Swanson Hungry Man frozen meals, anykine.

Alas, my present wife made me see my evil and self destructive ways. Hey, I was "young" and single. She pointed out that I should "Read da damned labels!" and see how much sodium this stuff contains.

Zoom to the present, we don't eat no frozen meals.

Comment

Ooh let's see...

We really like cheap, frozen pizzas, Tostino's in particular. We'll put mushrooms and more cheese and random leftover meats etc on them and I dunno what it is about them, but we really like them. CPK pizza crust tho is $$$ - love the garlic chicken.

Safeway-brand lettuce wraps (you buy the filling in the frozen section) are good, too. Oh and the Safeway-brand tamales with rice. I really, really like those cuz they're not heavy in flavor (for lack of better explanation).

I've actually grown fond of the South Beach Diet frozen meals and I'm not on the SBD. But they're horribly expensive so I only buy them when they're on sale.

Most of the Amy's Organic meals are pretty good. I had one of her pot pies the other day and I recall really liking the dough/crust. I can't recall having one that I thought was bad.

Comment

I eat way too much of that stuff--but I always have to doctor it with A LOT of hot sauce from my hot sauce collection. I figure that with my additions, it's double the sodium, unfortunately....

I love those frozen spanikopitas from Costco, along with their chicken rice casserole, and also those little baked brie appetizers. Yum.

Since I don't cook, my standards have to be low, otherwise I'd never be able to "stomach" all that frozen food. When it comes to eating out, though, my standards go up ten-fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                My last favorite frozen meal was beef Gyu Don and used to keep my freezer stocked with the stuff. ....
                I remember those Gyu Don commercials they'd show on KIKU of the man in the hallway knocking on the doors going, "DON DON DON DON!!!"

Those things were so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  I remember those Gyu Don commercials they'd show on KIKU of the man in the hallway knocking on the doors going, "DON DON DON DON!!!"

Those things were so good.
                  Eh, still get you know.

Comment

We always have a bag of frozen stuffed Ravioli pasta from Costco on hand. Either the Spinach and Ricotta or the Four Cheese Ravioli. Good stuff, and easy to prepare. Like others here, I usually doctor it with fresh basil and other add-ons.

Before the microwave, remember the old school Swanson frozen TV dinners in the metal tray? IIRC, it took like an hour to heat the food up in the oven, then when it came out, it was a friggin' SCORCHER. I must've burned my tongue more than a few times trying to take the first bite. lol
                    Last edited by Pomai; April 1, 2007, 02:00 PM. Reason: sp
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      Before the microwave, remember the old school Swanson frozen TV dinners in the metal tray? IIRC, it took like an hour to heat the food up in the oven, then when it came out, it was a friggin' SCORCHER. I must've burned my tongue more than a few times trying to take the first bite. lol
                      Well, it's not like microwave is an improvement. Makes chicken so rubbery, like eating play-doh.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Well, it's not like microwave is an improvement. Makes chicken so rubbery, like eating play-doh.
                        Well, considering it IS a frozen dinner, I'm sure the quality of the chicken isn't really important to most people who consume it. I don't think I've ever had frozen dinner chicken that wasn't rubbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Depending on what it is when "nuking" leftovers, I'll place a wet paper towel over the food, which helps to prevent drying out and becoming rubbery like you mention.

Frozen battered stuff like chicken and things with crusts ALWAYS taste better when oven-baked. Frozen Pizza has to go in the oven. Microwaved Pizza, no way.

Hey, you know Play-Doh actually taste pretty good! Kinda' "salty-doughy" in an artificial, yet edible kind of way.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm really tired of cooking so I tend to make 6 servings of most everything I cook...one serving for tonight, one for tomorrow night and 4 to freeze. That's almost always an entree and veggies. And I package and freeze them as individual meals.

Store bought is usually South Beach Diet (yep...on sale!), Amy's and some faves from Costco.

Comment

I like the White Castle burgers, good for small kine snack when watching a good movie.
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                              X