Frozen Meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frozen Meals

Swanson Fried Chicken at Walmart under $4 per box. Includes 2 pieces of fried chicken, corn, mashed potato, and brownie. It was actually tasty.
    http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

I like to keep a stash of frozen pizzas for emergencies. Unfortunately, I tend to have a lot of emergencies. Digiorno is my favorite (not very healthy), CK is another (not very healthy, either), and Amy's (very healthy, and tasty!). In fact, I haven't had an Amy's forzen meal I didn't like.

I've also gotten hooked on Bertolli frozen pastas--they're surprisingly good.

Comment

My wife has taken a liking to the frozen French onion soup from Costco. It's not exactly quick, but it comes out of the oven (or toaster oven) perfectly. Since Nick's Cafe in Mapunapuna closed and since Ruby Tuesday's discontinued their French onion soup (it was the only reason besides the salad bar to go there!), it's a pretty good option.

Comment

I have sort of a rule about not having prepared foods in my house, which I can do since I don't have kids. It's a loose rule, though, and I'll sometimes put a few frozen things in my freezer, such as frozen pizza or frozen gyoza. I love, love, love, love frozen burritos, but since I've learned to freeze my own home-made burritos, I seldom buy them unless I'm in the middle of grading finals or something.

Once or twice a year (usually around the holidays), I will indulge in Totino's Pizza Rolls (rowr!) and Bagel Bites. Oh man...I LOVE THOSE BAGEL BITES.

I once threw together a casserole using chopped-up, cheap, frozen burritos, store-bought salsa, cheese, and store-bought guacamole. It was a big hit with my students and remarkably easy to assemble. I felt like Sandra Lee.

Lei Liko's right-on about the Marie Callendaer's stuff. I believe it's a bit more expensive, and it usually has some REALLY involved heating directions, but I think that's what makes the stuff so good. I have never purchased any myself, but my homeroom partner has them almost every day, and the stuff always looks delicious. I vultured one what was abandoned in the faculty lounge freezer once (a lasagna) and yeah. Nice.

On my way to work in the morning, I have sometimes purchased Hot Pockets for lunch. Those are dang good.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Hey, you know Play-Doh actually taste pretty good! Kinda' "salty-doughy" in an artificial, yet edible kind of way.
            Then head for your local Jack In The Box. Currently, their Kid Meals include free Play-Doh! Apparently you'll have trouble figuring what to eat first.
            As for frozen foods, I've never really been into them in the past, even though I can't cook (darn it). Matter of fact, maybe you folks can help me -- exactly how long are you supposed to boil Corn Flakes?
            But in the past few months I've done some frozen, especially Marie Callender's and Stouffer's. And to support Scriv, I've done frozen burritos too -- Safeway has Tina's frozen burritos, which aren't bad at all. Safeway-brand twice-baked potatoes are pretty good too.
            Now, about boiling those Corn Flakes...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

in our two refrigerators, we often have gyoza bought from palama super or queen's super.the stuff at the regular grocery store doesn't cut it. if you've had a korean boss (me) or girlfriend (the beau) who would feed you homemade gyoza, the americanized stuff don't cut it. we also like the morningstar fake meat stuff. hey, the fake chicken nuggets, buffalo nuggets, and veggie patties (philly cheese, tomato basil, and spicy bean are our faves) are pretty darned good.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              My wife has taken a liking to the frozen French onion soup from Costco. It's not exactly quick, but it comes out of the oven (or toaster oven) perfectly. Since Nick's Cafe in Mapunapuna closed and since Ruby Tuesday's discontinued their French onion soup (it was the only reason besides the salad bar to go there!), it's a pretty good option.
              next time you find yourself in vegas, go to the golden nugget's cafe and order the french onion soup. the beau is a former fine dining F&B-er, and even he says their version is the best he's had. too bad you can't freeze it and bring it home. it's a better french onion soup than the golden nugget's bread pudding is a good bread pudding, and supposedly GN's BP is one of the best.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

How about old frozen stuff? I bet (mostly) everyone here has leftovers from 2 centuries ago that need to be purged. I do.

Mom will freeze leftover rice if given the chance. Everytime I go to the house, it's freezer police time.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  exactly how long are you supposed to boil Corn Flakes?
                  Silly, silly LikaNui...you're supposed to deep-fry Corn Flakes.

It's Pop-Tarts that you boil.

Comment

Wolfgang Puck's pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Silly, silly LikaNui...you're supposed to deep-fry Corn Flakes. It's Pop-Tarts that you boil.
                      Thanks! Looks like I was doing them each bass-ackwards.
                      Okay. So. Now. Two more Cooking 101 questions: What ingredients go in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and how long do I boil or deep-fry them?
                      I'm excited about learning to cook. Tonight I'm going to barbecue rice!

Comment

What ingredients go in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and how long do I boil or deep-fry them?
                        All of them, and yes.

You used to cook for Plaintiff, right? I understand a lot now...

Comment

I've been impressed by the Claimjumper brand of frozen foods. Stouffers seems to have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years. I remember when it was hyped as "gourmet-ish" in pre 1990s..
                          n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                            I've been impressed by the Claimjumper brand of frozen foods. Stouffers seems to have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years. I remember when it was hyped as "gourmet-ish" in pre 1990s..
                            I was just going to ask if anyone has tried the Claim Jumper meals. If you have to eat a frozen meal, this is the way to go. They are best oven baked, matter of fact I'm not sure if it's recommended to microwave them?

Their chicken fried chicken is fantastic and comes with an individual packet of country style gravy to heat up and pour over. This particular meal comes with red skinned mashed taters and corn on the cob.
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              You used to cook for Plaintiff, right? I understand a lot now...
                              Nah, actually not. See, I'm the baby in the family. My older sisters learned to cook, and all I learned as a keiki was how to clean up afterwards. My deal in relationships has always been that they cook, and I'll do all the cleanup. It's been well received, even by my ex-wife Plaintiff.
                              But back on-topic -- should frozen meals be kept in the freezer or the fridge? I guess the hamper is out of the question.

Comment

But back on-topic -- should frozen meals be kept in the freezer or the fridge? I guess the hamper is out of the question.
                                Unless you keep your underwear there as well --- so you'll have a FrigiDerriere.

okay...the butt of all your jokes...

Comment

Working...
                                X