Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Rachael Ray's "$40 a Day" show tonight on Food Network was done on Oahu.. boy did she really butcher the hawaiian language! i don't think i heard her same one hawaiian word even closely right. you would think that someone would correct her for the narration.. guess not
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Re: Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    Rachael Ray's "$40 a Day" show tonight on Food Network was done on Oahu.. boy did she really butcher the hawaiian language! i don't think i heard her same one hawaiian word even closely right. you would think that someone would correct her for the narration.. guess not
    She's annoying. If it wasn't for that big ass of hers, I wouldn't waste my time watching her shows. The mute button comes in quite handy when her mouth is moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
      She's annoying. If it wasn't for that big ass of hers, I wouldn't waste my time watching her shows. The mute button comes in quite handy when her mouth is moving.

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Speaking of annoying...

Anyway. This episode of "$40 a Day" is infamous in my social circle. I'm confident it's been lambasted here at HT before. Or it may have been her "luau" episode. It was the tipping point for my wife, who previously was dismayed by all the relentless hate out there for Rachel.

Suffice it to say, whether visiting Hawaii or trying to recreate some sad pantomime of the most uniformed boob's impression of Hawaiian food, she's annoyed islanders for a long time.

I miss eating Ritz crackers, but won't buy 'em as long as her face is on the box!

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
          i don't think i heard her same one hawaiian word even closely right. you would think that someone would correct her for the narration.. guess not
          If you're going to attack someone for butchering the Hawaiian language, you should probably try to avoid butchering the ENGLISH language in the process! I'm just playing.

I love Rachael Ray, but she is majorly overexposed right now, so I have been avoiding her. I can't fault her for messing up the language -- almost everyone does, including some of our most popular local on-air personalities (and again, even from them it's not as annoying as what they do to the ENGLISH language).

I just can't watch that talk-show of hers, and I really wanted it to succeed. But yeah. I do love me some Rachael.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Overexposed? Angelina Jolie is overexposed. She's taking the title of "Cat Lady" to a whole 'nother level (her "cats" being adopted third-world children).

At least I can follow Ms. Ray's cooking. Martha's too snooty for me.
            Last edited by Random; April 3, 2007, 11:34 PM.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Rachel butchering the Hawaiian Language?
              I have not seen the episode in question but I do get annoyed when I hear HONOLULU pronounced as Hana-Lu-Lu

uhhhhhhhh there is Nooooooooo "A" in Honolulu

Comment

Oh Sh*t, I just fell off my chair from laughing so hard. Keanu, thanx for starting my day off with that. Genius!
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Overexposed? Angelina Jolie is overexposed. She's taking the title of "Cat Lady" to a whole 'nother level (her "cats" being adopted third-world children).
                  Damn her big heart. What the hell does she think she's doing?
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I thought she was doing great till someone told her to start waving her arms around a lot more. I remember it looking odd because the difference was from one show to the next.

As for "butchering" Hawaiian words, I hear more "locals" doing it themselves, especially "Hanalulu". I sure as heck don't expect someone from the mainland to fare any better. I blame her show's staff for not doing the research, if it comes down to that. That's what they're there for.

Comment

Oh man I missed the episode in Maui (I can only imagine) but the episode in O'ahu made me cringe. The way she pronounced Haleiwa. *shudders*

She seems nice enough though. I would think that in a place with difficult to pronounce names she'd make sure she got it right.

Anyone ever watch Samantha Brown's travel shows? I like her. She tries to make sure she gets things right, at least it looks as if she does. I especially like her Passport to Europe shows.

Sinjin, I'm with ya on Angelina. I think the media makes her overexposed, not Angelina herself. There has to be an interest in her or else the stalkerazzi wouldn't hound her the way they do and magazines wouldn't obsess about her life in every issue. If I had her money I would love to adopt, it's a beautiful thing, as is a large family.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post

Anyone ever watch Samantha Brown's travel shows? I like her. She tries to make sure she gets things right, at least it looks as if she does. I especially like her Passport to Europe shows.
                        I like Samantha Brown's travel shows. "Girl Meets Hawaii" might have been the exception. At least you can leave the volume on when Sam is speaking, even though she doesn't look nearly as good in jeans as Ray.

Comment

I like Samantha Brown's travel shows. "Girl Meets Hawaii" might have been the exception. At least you can leave the volume on when Sam is speaking, even though she doesn't look nearly as good in jeans as Ray.

Yeah, no extra round Italian booty going on for Sam I'm afraid.

Comment

My wife was glued to that show last night. I cringed. Holly Eh Wa?
                            I think I have only been to Dukes, havent been to Shorebird yet.

I think the barefoot contessa is the hottest one.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                              My wife was glued to that show last night. I cringed. Holly Eh Wa?
                              I think I have only been to Dukes, havent been to Shorebird yet.

I think the barefoot contessa is the hottest one.
                              Nigella Lawson has my vote for sexiest Food Network woman. She is so sensual, amazing. She captures me everytime she's on.

Of course, it goes without saying that Tyler Florence is the sexiest person on the Food Network, period. *daydreamy eyes* Is Food 911 still on? I haven't seen it for a while. I NEEEEEED to have a food emergency. *waggles eyebrows*

Ask my mother and she will say the sexiest is Emeril. She can't stay away from those Portuguese men.

Off topic a tad but anyone else miss Doorknock Dinners? That show was funny and introduced me to a certain woman named Paula Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X