Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Originally posted by reineke View Post
    Lol, over here in DC "authentic Italian" is rarely authentic. I know a couple of restaurants that are good (and really run by Italians) but the best Italian food I ever had in the US was in New York.

One kilo of garlic per year isn't that much, but I'd say they both have a point. Most of the time it's like Mario says, but occasionally people like to go bang! more garlic!

One kilo per year is also divided across the entire population. Some Italians eat more garlic than others. I believe Indians consume much more.

I eat it raw, I grew up with it and some foods would just not taste right without some onion or garlic on the side.
    LOL...I'm from NY too. Yea, good Italian restaurants there, and of course, the best pizza.

Funny, I see some people on this board getting excited about "Olive Garden" coming to Hawaii, when they have a really good, small, homegrown chain of Italian restaurants on Oahu called "Assagio", which, for my money have better food than most of the Italian places here in LA.

My litmus for a good Italian place is, of course the sauce, and Assagio's tomato basil was DAMN good. The one in Hawaii Kai was a little better than the one in Kailua, but both were really good.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      LOL...I'm from NY too. Yea, good Italian restaurants there, and of course, the best pizza.

Funny, I see some people on this board getting excited about "Olive Garden" coming to Hawaii, when they have a really good, small, homegrown chain of Italian restaurants on Oahu called "Assagio", which, for my money have better food than most of the Italian places here in LA.

My litmus for a good Italian place is, of course the sauce, and Assagio's tomato basil was DAMN good. The one in Hawaii Kai was a little better than the one in Kailua, but both were really good.
      My brother and his family just moved back to Hawai'i after living on Long Island for the past 10 years or so. He said the same thing about Italian food and pizza. Just can't beat NY. He also said that the better local Italian restaurants are the Assagios. I guess it's safe to say it's true?

Comment

...and the irony to that is that Assagio is actually owned by a Vietnamese guy who was influenced from working at a former well-known Italian Restaurant on Oahu named Castagnola's.

That rumour of Mario not liking Emeril I find hard to believe. I've heard Emeril make a snide remark about Anthony Bordain once. Maybe that's why Bordain's "A Cook's Tour" isn't on the network anymore. Love or hate him, but Emeril is the "on camera CEO" and ambassador of the Food Network. I wouldn't wanna' get on his bad side if a Food Network show were my day job.

It's good to hear SUPPORT here for Rachael. Even with whatever said flaws she has (like we all do), I really like her.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          ...and the irony to that is that Assagio is actually owned by a Vietnamese guy who was influenced from working at a former well-known Italian Restaurant on Oahu named Castagnola's.
          Well, ironic that he's not Italian, yea, but the fact that his food is good means he was paying attention and not going by some Franchise Rulebook, which is what the Olive Garden goes by I'm sure.

Rolling Eye, I grew up on Long Island. The Italian food and pizza there, ESPECIALLY the pizza is pretty amazing. There's pretty much a pizza place in every strip mall, and ALOT of them are great.

Comment

Rachael Ray, or any other chick from Des Moines, what does it matter how they butcher 'olelo? As long as they are humble, cheerful and/or a little bit self-depreciating at their honest attempt at spitting out tongue-twisters, more power to 'em. But if you are from here, and opt to represent here in some capacity, then make the damned effort to know where you are. That goes for politicians, tour guides, local media personalities, teachers, dispatchers, everyone who comes in contact with fellow beings here in Hawai'i.

Aside from that, I have watched her show exactly one time. She was cute and perky and her voice was annoying. I am not into cooking shows, so I don't know the personalities that you are talking about.

pax

Comment

I forgot to mention that in front of that restaurant in NY we were greeted by this somewhat suspicious-looking Italian guy who told us that we didn't have to eat at his place but that we should not go to the competition next door since paramedics were regular visitors there. I liked the story so much I had to eat at his place. It was wonderful.

Comment

I forgot to mention that in front of that restaurant in NY we were greeted by this somewhat suspicious-looking Italian guy who told us that we didn't have to eat at his place but that we should not go to the competition next door since paramedics were regular visitors there. I liked the story so much I had to eat at his place. It was wonderful.
                Classic. I can imagine him saying it with the Noo Yawk accent.

Comment

As a 100% Sicilian blooded , 2nd generation American, growing up on mom's amazing cooking, and an extended family of amazing Italian cooks, nothing irritates me more than those "Italian" restaurants that overdo the garlic on everything.
                  God, how I envy you your gastronomia familia (Yeah, I made that up based on my limited Italian … extremely limited Italian.)

Perhaps you or someone else can explain something to me, or tell me if you've ever heard of this: I love garlic, but I seem to be somewhat immune to it. It is the only flavoring that I know of that I have to have loads of in a dish before I can really taste it. I really have to use a lot of it, or I can't really tell it's there. But I can smell the tiniest amount on someone's breath! Which doesn't make sense to me, because of the way the olfactory system works -- the direct connection between smell and taste.

When I eat roasted garlic on bread, I have no problem tasting it. It seems to be just when it's in recipes, regardless of who cooks (I, a friend, a restaurant or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                    God, how I envy you your gastronomia familia (Yeah, I made that up based on my limited Italian … extremely limited Italian.)

Perhaps you or someone else can explain something to me, or tell me if you've ever heard of this: I love garlic, but I seem to be somewhat immune to it. It is the only flavoring that I know of that I have to have loads of in a dish before I can really taste it. I really have to use a lot of it, or I can't really tell it's there. But I can smell the tiniest amount on someone's breath! Which doesn't make sense to me, because of the way the olfactory system works -- the direct connection between smell and taste.

When I eat roasted garlic on bread, I have no problem tasting it. It seems to be just when it's in recipes, regardless of who cooks (I, a friend, a restaurant or whatever).
                    Hmmm...interesting. What do you consider "loads" of garlic? Also, maybe you've been conditioned by years of eating food with alot of garlic, so now, if you add minimally, you don't really taste it. Or maybe the food your adding it to, is very flavorful on it's own. Also, are you saute'ing the garlic in Olive Oil, or just adding it raw ? Raw garlic can be pretty intense.

I myself am guilty of UNDER garlicking my food when I make it, for fear of that whole "reaking of garlic" thing...

BTW...Maddy, where ya been hiding ?

Disclaimer :
                    I apologize for any spelling errors or using words that don't exist in the above statement
                    Last edited by tikiyaki; April 7, 2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post

Paisanos in Manoa ain't shy with the garlic. Give them a try. I usually have to scoop some of the garlic off as I find it too overpowering. Assagios steaks are also garlic heavy. Pizza Bob's white pizza has minced garlic liberally spread on top. So much that it takes on a good bite and some parts are bitter. I still like it.

For home cooking, I use a garlic press. Seems the garlic is much stronger when using one to prep it for recipes. For some reason, home minced, crushed, roasted or whatever just doesn't keep it's potency. For instance, my kalbi sauce is way different and better when I use a garlic press as opposed to chopping and mincing. I don't know why.

Comment

Ever try that finely minced garlic sold in jars at Costco and Sam's? Insanely cheap at under $4 for a 32 oz. jar, and ready to load up if you love lots of garlic. Can't beat fresh, but for the price and convenience, it's great.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

But how hard can it be to peel a couple of cloves of garlic?

Comment

But how hard can it be to peel a couple of cloves of garlic?
                            Peeling it without any harm? Hard.

Gotta mash'em with a knife or something. Them tube or pad that you roll the garlic in take long work.

You like'm minced, buy garlic press, unless you're Martin Yan.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                            X