Homeless Dumping? Or Urban Myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homeless Dumping? Or Urban Myth?

It would be great if the Media would Edumacate the Public and Warn about these Panhandlers we've been discussing on HT!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by ptosis View Post
      Yess folks, you NEED a rental agreement or electric bill along with the Birth certificate and other certified legal documents in order to get I.D.
      I just got a state ID last year. Had to stand in line forever in that building across from Iolani Palace.

Did NOT need a rental agreement or an electric bill, however. Copy of my birth certificate and a social security card, plus the necessary form, was all I needed.

That, and cash to pay for the privelege of getting a new piece of plastic to carry around.

Comment

Just some information on our homeless population:

1. For the most part our homeless population is primarily made up of life time or long time Hawaii residents. The last comprehensive study of the homeless population was done in 2003 by SMS Research under contract with the City and State. That study found that 49.5% of the homeless population was lifetime Hawaii residents. Another 17.7% were long time residents (lived in Hawaii for more than 20 years), and another 16.8 % have lived in Hawaii for more than 5 years. Collectively you have about 67% of the homeless population being long time residents and if you add in the people who have lived here for more than 5 years the percentage rises to 84 percent. So basically recent arrivals (those living here less than 5 years) make up a small percentage of the homeless population, and in fact only 3.3% of the homeless population lived here less than a year. In summary, the homeless issue is really a local issue, and the majority of people who are homeless have lived in Hawaii for a long period of time, not mainland transplants. BTW the vast majority (87.5%) are U.S. citizens.

2. The myth of mainland cities sending their homeless to Hawaii is for the most part a myth. Does it happen, yes but not as often as you think, and it happens most often when the homeless person on the mainland has family or friends in Hawaii who will take them in. Emergency shelters like the Institute for Human Services have stated over and over again that other cities are dumping homeless in Hawaii. What does happen on the mainland is the one way bus ticket out of town. Cities in warm weather climates like Phoenix, Tucson, and even Albuquerque frequently complain of getting transplanted homeless from places like Boulder, Denver, Salt Lake City and the like. If you want to get someone out of town, it is probably cheaper to get them on Greyhound rather than and airline. By the way, some of our homeless agencies also provide the homeless with one way tickets out of town, but mostly if the person has a place to stay once he/she arrives. BTW, let’s get a grip here. Do you think that agencies like IHS actually put out an S.O.S. to send more homeless to Hawaii? Frankly IHS has been operating pretty much at capacity since its inception. As the ONLY emergency shelter in urban Honolulu there is no shortage of clientele, as a matter of act, they have had to put limits on how long people can stay there because demand is so overwhelming.

3. Sadly, the number of homeless persons in Hawaii is rising. The latest homeless count was conducted on January 28, 2007, it showed a total of 3,750 homeless on Oahu, a 28.2 percent increase over the last count in 2005 that showed 2,925 homeless on Oahu. The 2007 study, which will be released shortly also showed a “migration” of the homeless population, to places like the Waianae Coast, North Shore, and other outlying areas, while to percentage of the homeless population residing in urban Honolulu declined. On interpretation of this is that when the City closed Ala Moana Park and began to sweep other places like Kapiolani Park and Diamond Head, it did not “solve” the homeless problem, it just moved it to other locations. Note: counts like the ones done in 2007 and 2005 are just that, body counts. The 2003 study was the last one that provided detailed demographic data on the homeless population.

4. The homeless mentally ill who are among the most visible of the homeless population are also the most difficult to treat. Studies have shown that most of them are unaware of their condition, and are resistant to treatment and assistance. They also are the most represented in the “chronically homeless” population. The chronically homeless population includes individuals who have been continuously homeless over a year or have had four episodes of homelessness over the past three years (a federal definition). Treating these guys is not as simple as yelling at them to take their meds. Sometimes it takes years of outreach before they will accept help. Many homeless mentally ill are also substance abusers who use drugs to mask and cope with the symptoms of their psychosis have been victimized on the streets, and have compounding medical problems such as hepatitis, HIV/AIDS, and opens sores, infections, dental problems and the like. They are by far the hardest to treat, its not a liberal thing or a conservative thing, its hard to treat someone who is genuinely afraid of strangers, who may view medications as poison, and are unaware that there is anything wrong with them.

5. The majority of sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons are not receiving government benefits. Most of the folks who are receiving benefits like Section 8 rental assistance, welfare and the like can for the most part maintain their housing. Most homeless receive subsistence goods like food from charitable organizations, a surprising number of homeless, particularly homeless families living on the Waianae Coast, have adults who hold regular employment. Case managers and outreach workers do try and sign-up the homeless for benefits, but many government benefits are not readily available. The wait for Section 8 rental assistance is close to 7 years now.

Housing is a major challenge in Hawaii and a significant factor in our increasing homeless population. Rents here have increased on average by 5 to 7 percent annually, but wages have not kept up (about 3% annually). Our rental housing vacancy rate is in the 3% range but it has increased slightly which is a sign that more rental housing is available and that should moderate rental rate increases. We can have a whole long discussion on the housing market, but basically what is happening is that rising housing costs and limited supply are continuing to push even working families into the ranks of the homeless. Unfortunately, the trend will probably continue until the next economic downturn in the state economy which tends to moderate housing prices and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai123 View Post
          J2. The myth of mainland cities sending their homeless to Hawaii is for the most part a myth. Does it happen, yes but not as often as you think, and it happens most often when the homeless person on the mainland has family or friends in Hawaii who will take them in.
          I invite YOU to come to Kaukau Wagon on any Saturday and tell me it's part of a myth! I see the Homeless and the Hungry face to face and I know it's not a Myth. I ask where they come from and they tell me. Many are afflicted with Mental Illness and are Dual Diagnosed. Yes...they came to IHS.

Auntie Lynn

btw: What you wrote is old news...we know all dat!
          Ohhh..excuse. It's your Term paper!!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 15, 2007, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Then there the regulars that stand outside the 7-11's and beg for money. Rather than give them money I tell them I'll buy them something to eat and maybe half the time they turn that down!!?? Just goes to show that some do just want the money for you guessed it....booze or dope.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
              Then there the regulars that stand outside the 7-11's and beg for money. Rather than give them money I tell them I'll buy them something to eat and maybe half the time they turn that down!!?? Just goes to show that some do just want the money for you guessed it....booze or dope.
              As stated in Post #22. There are various "Categories" of the Homeless and the Hungry.

"Those like the ones you posted are the will nuts! Those who WILL NOT do nuttin to make their LIFE betta. People who take advantage of the system and anything they can. They are the scum of the scum. Why should they work when they have discovered a way to live day to day from Government Programs and People's pity."

The worse of them are Drug Addicts and Alcoholics. They know how to manipulate, steal, anything to get something foa FREE!!

But why should a bunch of bad apples spoil it for those who desperately need assistance? Why should Society look down upon those who truly need HELP? No matter what category a person is in, they are human. We can not let our hearts be hardened. I have a hard time dealing with it too. However, I put it aside because each time I go to KauKau Wagon, I face it head on. I'm not there to judge...I'm there to feed. And so my heart and mind is cleared of all prejudice...until the next Saturday.

Auntie Lynn

Last edited by 1stwahine; May 15, 2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X