How was your High school education?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was your High school education?

If you can remember, how did your school perform, in terms of building condition, teacher to student ratio, and other school related services?

Coming from Waipahu High, our bathrooms were closed at inappropriate times, they stink to high heaven to begin with, some of my teachers were corrected by students (myself included) and our food was junk (I think the last one applied to all DOE schools).

It was a miracle that I survived it, because it was a POS. Only one building has AC, and we had to fundraise the money ourselves to get AC to the upper classrooms.

I know that other people had worst, but compared it to a private college that I'm attending, I'm glad I'm paying top dollar for my next level education.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How was your High school education?

I graduated from Maui High in 1988. While there were some areas of the school that left something to be desired, for the most part everything was in pretty good shape. The general design and construction of the school was such that it utilized the trade winds thus rendering a need for AC moot. I've always been impressed with the "need for AC" at schools. My theory is that if it's hot, well, sweat it out. You think real life is going to be any easier? As for bathrooms, there were some that one would simply stay away from, and others that were okay. Most, if not all, of my teachers spoke proper English and demanded the same from students for classwork. We all spoke pidgin, but knew when to turn it on and off.

I was talking with a few teachers tonight, and I was mortified to find that the current "in vogue" term for addressing one's teacher is "Hey, Miss" or "Mister." No surname involved. What's that all about? Complete slack. And teachers allowing this to happen are only encouraging this type of disrespect. No wonder this place is going down the tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
      I was talking with a few teachers tonight, and I was mortified to find that the current "in vogue" term for addressing one's teacher is "Hey, Miss" or "Mister." No surname involved. What's that all about? Complete slack. And teachers allowing this to happen are only encouraging this type of disrespect. No wonder this place is going down the tubes.
      Thats how we talked to the teachers. The only way we used their names, was when there was two of the same gender in the same class, but still, we call them by their first letter of the last name (eg Ms. Y or Mr. I).
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I came from Mckinley High School,
        I did ok, the food there was ok,
        some people actually got seconds,
        Maybe, the amount wasn't enough...lol.
        I survived it, I guess that's all that mattered.
        The bathrooms? hmm.....
        not sure about that, I held my nose
        each time I used it...LOL.
        Aches & Pains
        (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

My high school was the UH lab school...I think it's called University High School now but they did have elementary education way back then..."olden days". The school was too small for me, so if you did something "bad" everyone knew right away. No problem with the restrooms, cafe food was okay. A lot of cliques though...the haves and have nots were very noticeable because of the small school size.
          Retired Senior Member

Comment

I was a drop-out, got my diploma via the GED test route. I recommend it.

Comment

I went grad Kalani '81. I got a good eductation there, the majority of teachers were good, there were certain bathrooms you avoided but not cause they smelled, just cause that was where the mokes were. The buidlings were a little old but all functional. We had a pool, tennis courts, basketball court, track, most sporting venues. Compared to the mainland, the school was out-of-date but I enjoyed my time there and actually learned a few things. I guess it was like 35-40 students to one teacher or so. I remember my senior year they had their first computer class but it was all filled up before I registered. I don't think I would have any trouble sending my son there, if that was where we are living 11 years from now. I liked some of the school lunches, like teri chicken and chilli rice, yeah, it was such a deal and sometimes tasty!

Comment

I went to Waianae High dropped out in my Senior year to marry my hubby and move to Maryland with our son. There was only one bathroom in the entire school that I'd even think of using although most times you could find me in the "other" bathrooms errr .. not using it.

For first recess, the cafeteria sold "package lunch" which consisted of some type of burger or pig in the blanket, a fruit and milk. I've never sat and ate in the cafeteria during lunch time. We usually went off campus to one of the drive-ins nearby. It was always good to have friends with cars.

I believe most of us addressed the teachers by Title and Name. There were a few "hip" teachers who didn't care if we used titles or not.

As for education, it was there for the taking. I believe the teachers responded better to those who weren't trying to be astronauts, you know, taking up space. But if you showed that you wanted to learn, the classes and teachers were there for the asking, as in most schools I would think. What you get out of school is entirely up to you.
                Send POI

Comment

There was only one bathroom in the entire school that I'd even think of using although most times you could find me in the "other" bathrooms errr .. not using it.
                  Heh. I always found the claiming of bathrooms as territories to lurk and control to be a little strange. I suppose it's easier than trying to "own" a corner of the ball field or something, but c'mon. It's a bathroom! Of course, I was just jealous... I don't think I used a campus toilet five times during my high school career.

I went to Mililani High School, not a rough school by any measure, although it was crowded. Obviously I'm biased but I always felt public schools got an unfair bad rap. Surely, it's possible to come out of the system totally screwed up, but there's no shortage of graduates going on to excel, as well. I admit, we could use better facilities, more desks, better teachers, newer books... but we made do. If you went in hungry to learn, I don't think you'd walk away with nothing.

That said, I am hard pressed to think of anything tangible my days in high school taught me. The only lasting impact, I guess, is my interest in all things media, since most of my extracurricular activities in school were working on the school paper. Other than that, I feel myself more a product of my parents than anything else... which, really, is probably what it ought to be.

Comment

Being an old 'Iolani grad, I have to say that the biggest thing about 'Iolani when I was there was that it was an all-boys school. This meant that 'Iolani boys tended to be, shall we say, socially retarded. We didn't learn how to deal with girls until we got to college. Things are different now, of course.

The teachers were dedicated and usually competent, with a few really outstanding ones. Class sizes were decent. The facilities were good. Overall, academically it was a really great education.

However, looking back, and also looking at the current student body, I have to say that one of the things that 'Iolani failed to teach me was an appreciation for the diversity of Hawai'i. Not racially - although it was and is a heavily Oriental school - but socially. Private schools, especially expensive private schools, do that. Your classmates are generally from middle-class or wealthier families, with only a few exceptions. This skews your perception of life.

Another negative thing about 'Iolani was that it tended to promote conformity. You know that old Japanese proverb, "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down"? That's 'Iolani. Ever notice that 'Iolani grads are often doctors and lawyers and engineers, but rarely politicians and leaders (Mufi Hannemann being a glaring exception)? 'Iolani boys are generally good followers and behind-the-scenes guys. Compare that with Punahou, where leadership seems to be a more valued trait...

Comment

I was lucky. Really lucky. My high school (Thomas Jefferson, in Alexandria, Va.) was brand spanking new. My freshman class was the first one in the doors (they populated the school with rising juniors and seniors from other high schools in the neighborhood). Fairfax County was (maybe still is) one of the richest five counties in the country, and it showed in the schools. Our neighborhood was made up of middle-class but senior-level military and government families.

We had all manner of choices for classes (four foreign languages offered (I took two), a combined English/History/Government class my senior year) and the teachers were mostly late-twenties/early-thirties people, none of them jaded by years of trying to work in lousy conditions. When I stop and think about it, I'll bet you it was a choice assignment for all those folks, and there must have been some heavy competition to get in.

It's now a magnet school, so it's probably even tougher now than it was then, and believe me, it was hard. Prepared me well.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                      X