Alternative to Pepto Bismol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Pepto Bismol

I read on a bottle of Pepto Bismol, that people allergic to aspirin shouldn't take Pepto Bismol (atleast what I read on the bottle).

Does anyone know what other medicine I can take for diarrhea?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Alternative to Pepto Bismol for people alergic to aspirin

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    I read on a bottle of Pepto Bismol, that people allergic to aspirin shouldn't take Pepto Bismol (atleast what I read on the bottle).

Does anyone know what other medicine I can take for diarrhea?
    Another type of OTC antidiarrheal medicine is loperamide (brand name: Imodium). It doesn't contain salicylate (aspirin). Used long enough, it could be habit forming, though.

Drink lots of fluid to avert dehydration (you need to replace electrolytes, so drinking something like Pedialyte is a good idea) and see a doctor if the diarrhea persists or if you have bloody diarrhea.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I give my children rice pudding and bananas.
      Usually clears it up in one day.
      Easy on tummy too.

You can just boil cooked rice in milk/cream and add some flavorings. All that starch should help your "problem".
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Find a guava tree and pick the youngest leaves you can find and just eat'em. Should be around an inch long. Just a few, like maybe half dozen to start and make sure to pick some extra. If you're still "running", eat a few more till pau. Tastes like heck, but works like a champ. This was a common remedy for diarrhea in the plantation camps.

Comment

I have heard quava seeds help too. Great tips everybody!

Next time you have diarrhea.. you will thank us!

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
            Next time you have diarrhea.. you will thank us!
            Frankly speaking, the next time I have diarrhea, I won't be discussing it on HT...and for that, you will thank me.
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; April 9, 2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Regardless what "remedy" you use, if the diarrhea persists for more than a day and/or if it's bloody, PLEASE go see a doctor! You need to rule out things like irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis or polyps, especially if you tend to have a personality that gets stressed easily.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Another type of OTC antidiarrheal medicine is loperamide (brand name: Imodium). It doesn't contain salicylate (aspirin). Used long enough, it could be habit forming, though.

Drink lots of fluid to avert dehydration (you need to replace electrolytes, so drinking something like Pedialyte is a good idea) and see a doctor if the diarrhea persists or if you have bloody diarrhea.

Miulang
                I'd take the Imodium only I REALLY needed to hold it in (i.e. important meeting that I can't miss, my wedding day, etc.). Diarrhea is meant to rid your body of nasty stuff, so as much as possible I'd let it run its course. Which makes avoiding dehydration that much more important. Stick to Gatorade and clear liquids for a day, then move to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast)...low roughage foods...and reintroduce normal food gradually.

I speak from recent experience...I had stomach flu a couple of months back...not fun.
                http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Re: Alternative to Pepto Bismol

I second Keith H.'s advice.

Comment

Wildlife refuge pond in Hawaii mysteriously turns bright pink. Drought may be to blame | Local | kitv.com

It's in the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X