Leahey & Leahey - coming to KUMU AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leahey & Leahey - coming to KUMU AM

During recreates we (the producer and gopher) were encouraged to add some "dimension" to the crowd noise. In some of the KGU recreates back in the 80's you may have heard a "Popcorn...peanuts...S&S saimin" in the background. That was me.

One time I added a sound EFX of a big jet plane passing overhead. Without missing a beat Joe Rose would remark about Chicago's O'hare airport being one of the nation's busiest. But I left him speechless after a fog horn EFX a few minutes later. He scolded me big time for that one.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

During recreates we (the producer and gopher) were encouraged to add some "dimension" to the crowd noise. In some of the KGU recreates back in the 80's you may have heard a "Popcorn...peanuts...S&S saimin" in the background. That was me.

One time I added a sound EFX of a big jet plane passing overhead. Without missing a beat Joe Rose would remark about Chicago's O'hare airport being one of the nation's busiest. But I left him speechless after a fog horn EFX a few minutes later. He scolded me big time for that one.

Comment

Fog Horn?

Now That's funny!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          It must have been a recreation of a neighbor island game, because I can't imagine any ballparks on the mainland where vendors hawk S&S Saimin.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            It must have been a recreation of a neighbor island game, because I can't imagine any ballparks on the mainland where vendors hawk S&S Saimin.
            That was the point. These were definately mainland games against mainland teams that we broadcast. Since Joe did the play by play we wanted to give it some local flair even though S&S wasn't sold at that mainland stadium we would include it anyway wondering if anyone would figure it out.

Regarding the fog horn, I shouldn't have used it but I couldn't resist the temptation. When you have an EFX library at your disposal you get stupid once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              In case anyone here doesn't know yet, the Leahey clan (Jim and Kanoa) will be making their KUMU 1500 morning show debut on April 16th, 6-9 am.
              Ummmmm...is there a parallel universe in radio? I ask since I've tried to tune in
              L & L and it definitely ain't them on in the morning.

Comment

First we were told Leahay & Leahey would be on KUMU-AM Monday thru Friday starting April 16th. Today we find out they will be on ONLY Monday's and Friday's. Next week, we'll learn Visionary will cut them back to one day a week. Then the following week they'll be cut back to one hour a week.

How can a morning show compete with these parameters? Oh, I forgot it's that brian-i-ac Detz, Mr. Cheapskate, giving the listeners a half-a@# product.

Trying to compete with the Bobby Curran show. Hey Visionary, if you want to compete with the big boys, set up to the plate and put Leahay & Leahey on five days a week.

Comment

It was never announced that L&L would be on Monday thru Friday, only Monday and Friday on KUMU. People sometimes hear what they want to hear. One guy called up and claimed that Kanoa had mistakenly announced the time as 7:00-9:00 a.m., not 6:00-9:00 a.m. I checked the tape of their Wednesday night PBS program: it was 6:00-9:00 a.m. as Kanoa remembered. In fact, the times were posted on the screen.

Comment

I think for good morning drive ratings a station needs consistancy in their hosts for that time slot. They should be M-F at whatever time slot would work best.

Comment

L&L will be on Mondays & Fridays. Bob Hogue and Jai Cunningham will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Jeff Portnoy will be on the air Wednesdays.

Works for me. Get to hear different viewpoints on whatever happens to be the hot-button topic for the week. Also, since those guys are on the air once or twice a week instead of five times, it will be easier for them to keep their program fresh and lively instead of being exhausted for ideas, which is sometimes a challenge for daily talk show hosts, especially if it's a slow news week.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Actually that's a pretty good line up, should make for great ratings...I hope

Comment

The more choices available for the listeners, the better.

Comment

Bob Hogue and Jai Cunningham also joining KUMU-AM lineup, per my colleague Dave Reardon:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/21/sports/story08.html
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

enjoyed the history guys, but I like listening to L&L because it is a different take from Bobbie Curran. this was really evident one morning when McClain was on 1420 explaining away the soap and other "issues" and carefully explaining that there were soap dispensers replaced repeatedly because the FOOTBALL PLAYERS were vandalizing and breaking them. The "other side" had a spirited discussion about how embarrasing the UH facilities really are. Good to have another side to listen to and coming to your own conclusions!

takakomay

Comment

Any proof that it's the FOOTBALL players vandalizing the soap dispensers? If so, wouldn't you think that a word to Coach Jones would put an end to that? The players know that if you keep messing up, JJ will boot them off the first team. If not the team, period! Look what happened to Attrice Brooks from the '99 season.

Comment

Working...
                                X