Bad Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Radio

Okay, this came up in another thread, and I thought I'd branch off. What has you listening, or not listening to radio?

For me, what keeps me away is the completely brainless cycle of endlessly bad music that seems to permeate most of the stations.

It amazes me that people will listen to the same rotation of swill all day long, with no desire for anything different. I want to hear stuff I've never heard before, and then some more of what I've never heard before. I want music that's challenging and will make me think. Which is why Radio Free Hawaii was so good. I could go from The Smiths to Hui Ohana, to some whack band that I'd never heard of. But at least it was doing something to increase my awareness of music and of life in general. There were many viewpoints, some which I didn't agree with, but since there were so many different people on the station not constrained by weird corporate conventions, conversation could occur.

Sometimes the easy way out is just that.

Of course there's a caveat to my statements, and this thread is no slam to those currently involved in radio. I know of the constraints put upon DJs - they have to follow what's prescribed to them. It's management and the higher-ups that I have a problem with.

Re: Bad Radio

Unless I'm very bored and am just "channel surfing" on the radio, I only listen to KHPR and KIPO.

I usually hear, if not all of it, at least the last hour of the Mon-Fri "All Things Considered". Rarely miss Saturday evening's "Prairie Home Companion" and, again, Mon-Fri hear "Marketplace" and the BBC news, with those strange half-hours they have in between the two (I especially like "Left Right and Center" because of Arianna Huffington).

The rest of local radio leaves me switching stations ...

Comment

I listen only for entertainment. I have a table radio next to my computer, and whenever I turn on the radio, its usually playing either a commercial, or playing a song that I've either played on my computer, or is currently playing.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

If I put the radio on, it's for jazz on KIPO or sports talk on 1420 (I'm usually on the road when Dan Patrick's show is on).

Other than that, I just don't want to hear dj's, commercials or tight playlists of music that doesn't interest me--and there's nothing on the airwaves that makes me want to tune in.

Comment

Good radio.

Radio is at it's best when something catastrophic happens... a tsunami... a hurricane... floods... bridges out... guy with a gun... if it's going on "NOW" and really needs to be heard by you- in the moment... that's when radio pops into motion... and keeps you locked in.

Being on the air during something like this is a rush- like you've never felt! That being said- everything else is graduations of necessity- or if you prefer levels of connectiveness.

If the station is important to the community- reflects the community- and entwines itself in the community- you've got good radio.

Unfortunately a lot of radio stations have become more and more homogenized- looking to "win the book", get "good ratings" which then correlates to a reason to charge higher prices for the ads.

You know this- it's familiar right? It's called "playing it safe". That's probably why the current lineup fails to interest and captivate.

There's a station on Maui- a non profit- run by volunteers- that takes this to the opposite extreme... they call themselves Manao radio... and get this... the dj's actually sit for their shows (in real time-starting CD players from song to song without computers or automation of any sort). And... choose the music they want to play! they're an LP so you probably can't pick them up on Oahu- but every show is completely different. Every jock has the freedom to create.

As a listener, it's a bit confusing- because you never know what you're going to hear. I'd like to tell you what they play- but that's too much to ask because it's "out there"...

they must have 40+ jocks :-)... you want jazz... you want big band... you want tribal... trance... folk... world... it's all there... but tuning in at the right time- that's the tricky part.

When on Maui try 91.5

It's real radio- but low power.

Nuff

Comment

Radio is unforgivable because there is no Adult Standards/MOR station to turn to. Visionary Related Media dumped Adult Standards for Talk on KUMU AM 1500. Visionary is very insensitive and selfish. They don't care if we like Adult Standards or not. Visionary should have thought about how dumping Adult Standards for Talk would hurt the feelings of other people. Visionary hurt my feelings big time. Visionary is located on Maui for Christ's sakes and yet they have no aloha. Visionary owes Adult Standards fans an apology for dumping the format without our permission.

Comment

IBadget, it's clear from your postings here that you like Adult Standards. What exactly are Adult Standards? If you like, feel free to start a new thread for this question... 'cause I'd sure like to be educated about the various definitions of genres (i.e. Adult Standards, Adult Contemporary, etc.).

I agree radio played an important part in linking a community together... but with more and more stations actually run by computers in another city 2,000 miles away, it's hard to make that argument. I've read more than a few stories where tornadoes or some natural disaster have threatened a small town... and when panicked civil defense authorities call the "local" radio station to spread the word, they find out they need to talk to someone in Chicago, and only during business hours, to get anything on the air.

Hawaii's civil defense 'all channel override' for broadcast radio and TV is pretty neat in this way... but I guess it's not the prevailing model nationwide.

Like many here, I stick to the news programming on KHPR/KIPO. My wife listens to KHUI 99.5 ("Bob"). Occasionally we try KINE. But with an iPod and an FM transmitter, radio is often relegated to "last resort" entertainment.

Is it that radio is "bad"? Perhaps. With money dictating playlists, the fact that you get one song more than once an hour quite regularly is just too hard to stomach. And while commercials are a neccessary evil, I tolerate them less on radio than I do on TV (especially any screaming "slasher sale" car lot ad or an ad that uses "tricks" like car horn or skidding tire sound effects).

Then again, I suppose if I liked the stuff KQMQ or KXME played anyway, I'd listen. There's just not a station that plays what I like.

Comment

I think one thing we have to remember here. To listen to broadcast radio of any station or format is a FREE bargain compared to other information and entertainment media. None of the radio stations are forcing listeners to pay them money to simply listen, and to me that is what is good about radio... the last bastion of a free consumer media.

Think about it. Most other forms of media, we have to pay to access in some way. Broadcast TV while still free, is not a practicial possibility here on Oahu due to our terrain. We have to pay Time Warner Oceanic Cable big bucks just to watch the dozen or so free local channels on the dial. Of course they bundle all kinds of other channels that we may not want to pay for in their various packages.

Most of the mainstream print media publications we have to pay for unless we get a hand me down copy for free. But if you want your news, information or entertainment in print now, you have to pay some dollars at the newstand to get it now. Surely there are a lot of free publications out there, but your mileage will vary.

Internet websites are supposedly free. Well not necessarily. Most of us have to pay to access the internet. Some sites charge you to view their content. Even if you can get free internet access, there is a price to pay. The public library limits you to less than an hour per session. At work you have internet access but it is generally for work related use only, even though most people abuse that.

Radio is free. The formats may not be to our liking, but what other media allows you to carry a simple box and have it turned on or off with just a flick of a switch or turn of the dial without having to pay to access that content? Sure you have to pay for electricity, gas or batteries depending on what kind of radio you use... Still the content is free.

Appreciate it for what it is before it disappears.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock

There's a station on Maui- a non profit- run by volunteers- that takes this to the opposite extreme... they call themselves Manao radio...

When on Maui try 91.5

It's real radio- but low power.
                  KEAO 91.5 FM Maui popularly known as Manao Radio is on the web and has a live stream at this link:

http://www.manaoradio.com/
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If, in those long-ago days when I was a teenager, radio had been the way it is now in Hawaii, I'd have been listening to classics from the Twenties (Paul Whiteman, Nora Bayes, early Bing Crosby) instead of Elvis and Chuck Berry.

Most of the local music stations are playing music from thirty or forty years ago.

If you want to hear new music, you have to listen to the UH station, but their "DJ's" are painful.

Comment

Yeah, some of the KTUH DJs leave something to be desired, but for the most part the quality has increased somewhat since the advent of thier higher wattage.

I was a free-form DJ there many moons ago (12-3 a.m.) and also did some a.m. jazz. It was a lot of fun to play what I thought people should hear. I'm sure many thought it was whack, but I can assure you very little of what I played was (or could be) played on other stations.

I've done a few alumni shows (Saturdays from 3-6 p.m.) since I've returned to Honolulu, and those were fun, too. Although I was a little surprised to see that PSAs, etc. are all on computer rather than 8-track like how it was when I was there (he says, dating himself).

Under the stars...

Comment

I have ben watchin this thread for a while while I can bit my lip no longer. Radio as a source of civil information is flawless, but it's the programming that is salting up the overall oppinions here.

I mentioned a few weeks back about an internet radio show called Lava Lounge on HuiMusic.com The programming is the best that I have heard in a long time. It's a blend of AC/MOR with the best of Hawaii's artists. The DJ (unknown) has a style that is not intrusive and best of all, no spots. It's about 1 hour long and rumor has it that an old DJ fro KDNN will be loading up a show soon.

To many clowns, to many junk old tunes pushed me away from local radio. I would much rather hear the same one hour of programing on the internet than what I hear on the radio. Actually, my boss approved the Lava Lounge and it was aceptable even while talking to our clients. PD's you listening? May want to check what Lava Lounge is about.

TY Lee

Comment

That's what I loved about the old KUMU that played Montovani (elevator music). It was music that carried a familiar tune yet didn't insult your senses. The old KUMU inspired you to hide your speakers behind indoor plants, recliners and other furniture so the sound seemed to eminate everywhere and provide this soothing oasis of music to calm the nerves (maybe that's why you would hear it in dentist waiting rooms).

Now I may be sounding like Ivan, but I wouldn't mind hearing an FM format that committed it's music styling to the "old KUMU" where music entertained you and not tortured your senses.

Hey how about liberal talk radio! Okay!!! I was joking!!! "I love liberal talk radio, now point the gun away".
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X