"Thank God You're Here" on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thank God You're Here" on NBC

A couple of episodes of Thank God You're Here aired on Monday night (4/9). I missed the first half of the first episode since I was watching Two and Half Men.

Anyway the premise of this show is that you take a guest actor which is one of four in an episode, dress them up, give them a final prop or two and make them enter a door which on the other side is a set with anywhere from 1 to 4 of supporting cast of actors and do a scene where one of the supporting actors will say to the incoming actor "Thank God You're Here" and perform before a live audience.

In the second epsiode Richard Kind's scene was him being the sound effects guy in a morning radio show and he had to make all these sound effects come out when the other actors started to prompt him to do. During the scene he actually broke the head of a snare drum.

At the end of the episode all four actors are thrust into a common scene, in the first epsiode the four are dressed as superheros. Wayne Knight called his superhero Roach Man, who outfit was falling apart, antenna comming off and his shorts was coming down.

I don't know when the next episode is scheduled next but I think it might be on Monday night.

Kind of fun to watch through.

Re: "Thank God You're Here" on NBC

Sounds like a variation of "Whose Line Is It Anyway"! I love watching good improv so will try to remember to watch this new show! If you think of it, Helen, can you post a reminder on the day of? Oh wait...Monday nights? Does it conflict with Dancing With the Stars?!

Comment

We are big fans of "Whose Line..." and were hoping this new show would be equally entertaining. Some of the sketches were actually painful to watch as the actors tried to do improv. Not pretty. It takes real comedic talent and super-fast thinking to do improv and these qualities were in short supply. I doubt we'll watch again as we didn't watch the second episode.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, glossyp. Can't wait to check it out!!! Improv is an art. It's used in casting sessions all the time and, you're right, it can be painful to watch! The comedians who come thru my office always do an admirable job.

Paul O???? I miss you!!!!!!!

BTW, I have the "Whose Line..." episode with Robin Williams on my iPod...also his Inside the Actor's Studio ep. The latter is, to me, the epitome of brilliant improv skills...even tho' it was supposed to be an interview! Both are outrageously funny.

Comment

I kinda watched both hours while I was doing other work around the house. Yes, it's pretty much "Whose Line..." but with props and costumes and sets instead of no props (etc). The new show was so-so. Some good moments, some bad, a few where I really did laugh out loud.
          The judge, Dave Foley, was the worst member of the cast. Oughta be replaced.
          There were some bugs to work out, but that's not surprising for a first and second episode. Overall, I'll probably 'kinda' watch it again.

EDIT: Apparently if you go to this link you can watch the first episodes in their entirety.
          Last edited by LikaNui; April 10, 2007, 10:32 AM. Reason: Because I felt like it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Glad to read these comments; I had forgotten about the show airing - now I don't feel like I missed much.

I'm a big improv fan - I've done improv since the mid-seventies, and taught it for a while. "Whose Line..." fans should be aware the the first two seasons of the original UK series just recently came out on DVD, through A&E Home Video.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Glad to read these comments; I had forgotten about the show airing - now I don't feel like I missed much.

I'm a big improv fan - I've done improv since the mid-seventies, and taught it for a while. "Whose Line..." fans should be aware the the first two seasons of the original UK series just recently came out on DVD, through A&E Home Video.
              So cool! Good to hear that the UK seasons are becoming available. We can add that to the "Fawlty Towers" collection. Guaranteed laughs no matter how often you've seen them.

Comment

Saw it. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It was like "whos line.."'s retarded cousin. i turned it off during the 2nd epsidode.

quick: which was better? the english version or the american version of "whos line.."
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                    quick: which was better? the english version or the american version of "whos line.."
                    English version - better host.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      It was like "whos line.."'s retarded cousin. i turned it off during the 2nd epsidode.

You guys want to bash "Thank God You're Here", this is the right place to do it. You want to talk about "Who's Line is it Anyway" this thread would be the better place to do it. Granted it was last replied back in 2005.
                      Last edited by helen; April 10, 2007, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Yes, I suppose it would be too easy to go off-topic by talking about a similar program to the one the thread is about. Sorry.
                        http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=189

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                          We are big fans of "Whose Line..." and were hoping this new show would be equally entertaining. Some of the sketches were actually painful to watch as the actors tried to do improv. Not pretty. It takes real comedic talent and super-fast thinking to do improv and these qualities were in short supply. I doubt we'll watch again as we didn't watch the second episode.
                          Meh. The funny is not how good they are at improv, it's how bad they are at improv.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Overall, I'll probably 'kinda' watch it again.
                            Well, I 'kinda' watched it last night while doing other stuff around the house. Four new comedians (including Jason Alexander from "Seinfeld")... four bombs. Really. Absolute junk. It was simply awful.
                            Presumably four more new comedians next week, assuming the network doesn't yank this turkey off the schedule. I'll maybe turn it on to see who's on it and then decide, unless I have something more fun to do.
                            Like, you know, having a root canal or something.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X