Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Tropical Trifle' dessert on Foodland's latest Maika'i Rewards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tropical Trifle' dessert on Foodland's latest Maika'i Rewards?

Tried to do the recipe as found in the monthly newsletter that they send their Maika'i customers...

I wanted to take what I prepared to my brother's house for the Easter Sunday dessert. Things didn't go well at all...

Late Saturday night, I read more of the instructions on the jello instant pudding mix and put in too much milk (2%), putting in: 4 cups of milk, the 12 oz frozen passion orange juice base concentrate and 2 3.4oz of instant pudding mix (french vanilla). Even after whisking for two minutes as instructed on the box, it did not take on a 'body', but was watery.

My wife says I read it wrong (guess I was so sleepy as I was doing it at almost midnight), and found out that I did. Next morning, went to buy replacement supplies, and started over, this time using 2.5 cups of cold milk (as instructed in the newsletter) along with the 12 oz juice concentrate base along with 2 boxes of instant pudding mix...

Still it came out watery! Stupid me...i was hoping it would thicken and gain some body, but it did not. That however did not stop me from completing the dessert, even though we didn't take it with us to the party as it would have been 'a disaster'.

Contacted Foodland and was told that they don't know what went wrong when I did it.

Anyone else attempted to make this dessert? Did it come out ok for you???

Comments?

Re: anyone did the 'Tropical Trifle' dessert on Foodland's latest 'Maika'l Rewards' ?

Here's the recipe from their website:

http://foodland.com/recipes/recipe3.php

I see trouble already. The recipe doesn't mention the SIZE of the pudding boxes at all! I am guessing that you used two of the four-serving boxes. So four cups of liquid (milk and juice) would be right for those size boxes, if you were making pudding.

But after looking at trifle recipes on the internet that use instant pudding I noticed a recurrent theme---the liquid added to the pudding powder was usually less than that required for the standard pudding recipe and very often that mixture was folded together with whipped cream or whipped topping. Like this one, for example:

http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=re...ecipe_id=64391

I'm also wondering if the acid content of the juice broke down some of the pudding power of the pudding powder. Those instant pudding mixes usually set up very quickly. My husband loves the Jell-o instant chocolate pudding so I have some experience in this area.

The recipe looks off, too, in light of the very sweet passion fruit juice base (I am assuming it is referring to a concentrate) in addition to the sugar in the pudding mix. I would think the finished product would be toothachingly sweet?

Comment

Re: anyone did the 'Tropical Trifle' dessert on Foodland's latest 'Maika'l Rewards' ?

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      Here's the recipe from their website:

http://foodland.com/recipes/recipe3.php

I see trouble already. The recipe doesn't mention the SIZE of the pudding boxes at all! I am guessing that you used two of the four-serving boxes. So four cups of liquid (milk and juice) would be right for those size boxes, if you were making pudding.

But after looking at trifle recipes on the internet that use instant pudding I noticed a recurrent theme---the liquid added to the pudding powder was usually less than that required for the standard pudding recipe and very often that mixture was folded together with whipped cream or whipped topping. Like this one, for example:

http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=re...ecipe_id=64391

I'm also wondering if the acid content of the juice broke down some of the pudding power of the pudding powder. Those instant pudding mixes usually set up very quickly. My husband loves the Jell-o instant chocolate pudding so I have some experience in this area.

The recipe looks off, too, in light of the very sweet passion fruit juice base (I am assuming it is referring to a concentrate) in addition to the sugar in the pudding mix. I would think the finished product would be toothachingly sweet?
      I used 2 boxes of the 3.4 oz pudding mix (as shown in the pic) below the recipe.

My brother also commented that the acid content of the juice concentrate must have done something with the milk.

But according to Foodland, who followed up with the Foodland pastry chef---they don't know how mine failed...(hey, I ask the same thing myself!!!).

I also asked them if perhaps some directions were missing during the printing of the newsletter...They say no...

Comment

bump...bump...

Comment

Re: 'Tropical Trifle' dessert on Foodland's latest Maika'i Rewards?

The 12 oz. of fruit juice concentrate equals 1-1/2 c. liquid. Adding the 2-1/2 c. whole milk means you would have 4 c. of liquid. Each 4 serving size box of pudding uses 1-3/4 c. liquid. So 2 boxes would need 3 1/2 c. liquid (according to the package). I think if you only add 2 c. milk to the 12 oz (1-1/2 c. of fruit juice concentrate) you should be OK. But like WORN says, as added insurance, whip up some heavy cream (maybe a cup) or take some Cool Whip and fold it into the pudding. Garans it won't be watery. Also, when assembling the trifle, don't use fresh pineapple or papaya. Both contain enzymes that can break down the protein in the pudding part. That's why the "tropical fruit" mix described in this recipe for Tropical Trifle is added as the garnish on top of a layer of Cool Whip (the Cool Whip will act as a barrier against the fruit enzymes).

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2007, 07:30 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay, I looked at this recipe...

I have a coconut cream pie recipe that's listed on my Hawaii-eCards site as well as Aloha World and the instructions for a pie filling calls for less milk than for the pudding mixture. And I add cool whip to it as well and it sets up pretty quickly. http://hawaii-ecards.com/recipes.html

But reading this recipe instruction...
            "Prepare the pudding. Follow the instructions on the box, but combine the milk and the passion fruit juice base together, then add into the pudding powder."

I read this to mean mix the milk and passion fruit juice base together first and then add this combination to the vanilla pudding. But just add what is called for making the pie filling instead of pudding. Like Miulang said, I'd keep some cool whip on hand just in case you wanna thicken it up.
            Lovena

Comment

I want to thank Foodland for informing me that the pastry chef did double check and did find an error in the recipe; and that it is being redone to find out where the error lies... more as it is know....:-)

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
                I want to thank Foodland for informing me that the pastry chef did double check and did find an error in the recipe; and that it is being redone to find out where the error lies... more as it is know....:-)
                It's probably in the total amount of liquid required (between the milk and the fruit juice concentrate).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

That was nice of them. Are they sending you some vouchers for the wasted ingredients? That would be even nicer!

Comment

Okay, I've had enough of this....

Trifle USA style

Break up some ladyfingers or stale cake and put the pieces into a bowl. Sprinkle a bit of sherry or orange juice over them. Pour over a drained can of fruit coctail (use the syrup for the next step). Make up a packet of red Jello with a little less liquid (use the syrup from the canned fruit for all or part) than usual, and pour this into the bowl, on top of the cake, and chill til set. Make up a package of vanilla pudding (or the real stuff, which is called Bird's Custard Mix), and then pour that over the Jello. Whip some cream (or use the instant stuff) and top the whole shebang with that. Chill and eat.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                      That was nice of them. Are they sending you some vouchers for the wasted ingredients? That would be even nicer!
                      yes, they were kind enough to send me an apology and gift cards to cover the costs of my ingredients!

so, please don't make the trifle using the *present* recipe, or you'll be sorry...

more as it becomes known...

Comment

yes, they were kind enough to send me an apology and gift cards to cover the costs of my ingredients!

so, please don't make the trifle using the *present* recipe, or you'll be sorry...

more as it becomes known...
                        well, I sent them a e-mail follow-up last night to indicate that they should correct their website, as it still shows the incorrect recipe.

They responded today with showing the 'correction notice' at the bottom of the recipe. It now answers my query as to why did it fail... "due to the acid from the lilikoi juice base, please add two (2) more boxes of the french vanilla pudding mix'.

Comment

well, I sent them a e-mail follow-up last night to indicate that they should correct their website, as it still shows the incorrect recipe.

They responded today with showing the 'correction notice' at the bottom of the recipe. It now answers my query as to why did it fail... "due to the acid from the lilikoi juice base, please add two (2) more boxes of the french vanilla pudding mix'.
                          Hehehe.

My old chem classes come in handy sometimes.

I'm thinking I'd still skip this recipe, Hawaiiguy. Or leave out the lilikoi juice and just make it like a regular trifle---kinda like what Susie suggested.

Comment

Working...
                          X