Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do's and Dont's

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    If you're not from some place, you won't know all the pronunciations - it's not just Hawai`i. You ever been to either Sequim or Puyallup in Washington State?
    These are obviously native Indian names. I have no knowledge of the pronunciations here, so let me take a stab at it (without help from Google)...

Sequim - Either Seh'keem, Seh'queem or Seh'kwimm

Puyallup - Poo'yuh-lupp (certainly not "PooYal-luhp"!)

I posted this before, but here again is a true story. Tourists once stopped my girlfriend and friends in Maui and asked how to drive to "Kan'nah'pole'lee".....

a.k.a. Ka'anapali.

And how can you dislike driving on the "Like Like" freeway? lol I still hear even some locals pronounce it "Lee'kee-lee'kee".

Hawaii is still being pronounced "Hah'Y".
    Last edited by Pomai; September 22, 2007, 01:07 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Sequim - Either Seh'keem, Seh'queem or Seh'kwimm
      Puyallup - Poo'yuh-lupp (certainly not "PooYal-luhp"!)
      Phonetically, they are "Skwim" and "Pyoo-allup," from the S'Klallam and Puyallup Nisqually languages, respectively.

And how many times do you hear locals pronounce the name of that yummy fish appetizer as poh-kee?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Phonetically, they are "Skwim" and "Pyoo-allup," from the S'Klallam and Puyallup Nisqually languages, respectively.
        Wow. I was way off! Looks like it's gonna' be tough asking for driving directions in Washington State!

And how many times do you hear locals pronounce the name of that yummy fish appetizer as poh-kee?
        Locals? About 50/50, say it that way vs. the correct way: "Po'K". <--That is correct, right?

Haoles always pronounce my name "Poo'My". lol
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

And this is why I just carry around a piece of paper with all the words I can't pronounce. It's less embarassing to just point.

In my defense I have an Ohio accent. Which I can't explain at all except that people say I have an Ohio accent.
          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

And as far as pronunciations go, a BIG Mahalo to Gregg! Your paper work you sent me months ago really got me warmed up!

I have really enjoyed meeting people and feeling things out. Mrs.TATT and I have already made a habit it seams of pu-pu's and drinks at the Chart House, but looking for more off the beaten path type places.

My first surf/bodyboard session went great. No hassles, made a few regular friends, and look forward to paddling out in the mornings.

Getting around by a scooter that I got has NOT been an issue as of yet. 76cc, nothing major, left my M-Class on the conus, hope to have it mailed out in a week or two and sell the scooter, or keep it for town, and a bike for longer open air trips.

Looking like I will be in final negotiations with work this week, either Alan Wongs Pineapple Room, Arincino Di Mar, Stage, or something new and exciting with Hank(of Hans haute Dogs)...plenty of options.

Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and suggestions, by no means stop offering them, glad to see this still going, and always looking for new things to do.
            Last edited by TATTRAT; September 22, 2007, 06:25 PM.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
              [...]I have really enjoyed meeting people and feeling things out. Mrs.TATT and I have already made a habit it seams of pu-pu's and drinks at the Charter House, but looking for more off the beaten path type places.[...]
              Looking like I will be in final negotiations with work this week, either Alan Wongs Pineapple Room, Arincino Di Mar, Stage, [...]
              Thanks again to everyone for all the tips and suggestions, by no means stop offering them, glad to see this still going, and always looking for new things to do.
              Psssst...Tatt? That's the Chart House!!! You were only one syllable off! Have you been downstairs from the CH...to Harbor Pub? There's a limited view from a limited number of tables...akin to finding a view from a basement! Still, it's a trippy place for breakfast, lunch or dinner, has a bar and seems to cater to the Ala Wai boat harbor crowd. One of the regulars brings his chihuahua who sits on his own bar stool!

Another great drinks w/sunset spot is the Halekulani Hotel (walkable), on the lanai outside House Without a Key, complete with a Hawaiian trio and dancer. Not off the beat and path but just plain, ol' lovely.

Jeez...you could walk to the Pineapple Room! Stage is a cool restaurant; very trendy. I've not heard of Arincino Di Mar. Where's that?

Oh...and for a free activity...walk on over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village's Tropics show room for the live taping of Andy Bumatai's tv show. They have an open bar! If you do that after mid October I'd love to join you!

Comment

Whoops, thanks tutusue...and yes, I know the harbor pub, Jeff, Denver and I are well acquainted by now,lol. Actually I am leaving right now for Chart house.

Thanks for the tips again. I will check out those places. We were also told about Hale Koa for drinks on the cheap by some people at SO's work, might give that a shot too.

And do you mean open bar, like open air, or free drinks open bar? Either way sounds like a plan!
                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

I enjoy Harbor Pub for their excellent sandwiches and surprisingly good pizza. But be advised that as the evening wears on the crowd there can get... boisterous. Not the best place to take a date late in the evening. [/hint]
                  But for breakfast, lunch or an early dinner, heck yes!

Edit:
                  I forgot to add that on Saturday nights you can walk over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and catch Olomana, with Jerry Santos and Haunani Apoliona!!! Da bestest of the bestest, and free!
                  Last edited by LikaNui; September 22, 2007, 06:44 PM. Reason: Added info on Olomana, like I should've done earlier, gonfunnit

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whoops, thanks tutusue...and yes, I know the harbor pub, Jeff, Denver and I are well acquainted by now,lol. Actually I am leaving right now for Chart house.

Thanks for the tips again. I will check out those places. We were also told about Hale Koa for drinks on the cheap by some people at SO's work, might give that a shot too.

And do you mean open bar, like open air, or free drinks open bar? Either way sounds like a plan!
                    I'm running on way too little sleep. Andy's show has drink service! And, the drinks aren't cheap!!! Still, there's a lot of entertainment so a drink or 2 is a small price to pay.

Yep...Hale Koa is a great place. I go there quite often with my retired military friends.

Seems you're far more acquainted with the Harbor Pub than I am!!! Not a bad neighborhood, huh, Tatt?!

Comment

And as far as pronunciations go, a BIG Mahalo to Gregg! Your paper work you sent me months ago really got me warmed up!
                      Pfft. Tweren't nothing. Just an expansion on what I teach our local `ukulele group (so they will be willing to learn Hawaiian songs, and not be frightened away by another language.) Nice to know it was of some help to you.

I just read this thread to the AF - her overall response was "EXCELLENT!"

TATT - this thread is a great example that we should remember, for all the folks who post here about "what does it take to move to Hawai`i." It sounds like you did the research and brought the right attitude - which is what the kama`aina on HT always recommend. Thanks for representing well the mainlanders who are making the effort to do it right.

Comment

Hi all!

I bumped this thread up to the top because I think it will be helpful for the family from Kansas and their oldest boy. Enjoy!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

WOW! I gotta admit, I get a little choked up re reading all this...to think, that time has come and gone.

I want to say, I miss the Hawai'i EVERYDAY! Though I am a proud Bermudian, Hawai'i holds a very special place in my head and heart. I had NOTHING BUT A GREAT EXPERIENCE! I WILL be back, you can count on that...hopefully sooner then later.

Thanks again to all of those that helped along the way, and for all this great advice. I hope others can use this as a resource too.

Many Mahalos to the HT kama'aina!
                          flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

Working...