Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do's and Dont's

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    I am a damn fine 48; and you can watch this girl catch some waves tomorrow morning out here in Hawaii Kai.

Catch waves or eat waves?

Comment

Btw, has anybody answered the original questions asked at the top of the thread? you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        Btw, has anybody answered the original questions asked at the top of the thread? you all should be ashamed of yourselves.
        Timkona answered 'em! No need repeat!

Comment

Catch waves or eat waves?
          oh so we've surfed together, huh? it's kinda big. I'll probably be eating some waves for sure. It's been so long!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Timkona answered 'em! No need repeat!

sooooooo, that's it then ? Was really hoping for a little more insight...
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Do read past threads before posting a new one.

Don't expect everyone to line up to help when you do.

You've not reached the visitors' bureau. You've reached an informal hub of friendly, silly, and crazy people who just happen to love Hawaii. I suppose you'd get a straight answer out of a tourism official, but it wouldn't be an honest one.

C'mon, man. You've basically asked, "Tell me everything I need to know about moving to Oahu!" Admittedly you didn't get much of an answer, but to expect that request to be fulfilled in a satisfactory way was pretty ridiculous, too. I'm pretty sure if you'd asked to know everything about anything just about anywhere out of the blue, your responses would be just as substantive.

There are dozens of existing threads with reasonable tips (and dozens more with similar silliness, to be sure)... you can read through those first. If you have any specific questions, I for one promise to actually try to answer them.

Comment

I realize I haven't reached a visitors bureau, I saw the board as a friendly, knowledgeable resource, and say the sense of comradely after lurking for a week, and though it would be a great resource to get some info. I did use the search button first. Sorry if it seems that I was asking for everything, as I was not, just looking for useful insight...and as you said, HONEST insight. I prefer to be a traveler, not a tourist, and appreciate honest local input.

Just trying to be a respectful haole, preparing to move to new island.

thanks for the input.
                Last edited by TATTRAT; April 12, 2007, 05:59 AM.
                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

I was looking for a little more out of the original question myself but found myself a little disappointed. I am part of a few other forums and we call this hijacking. I know I am a newby in this forum and have already gained some useful knowledge from several members and am very thankful but the answers to tattrats questions seem comical to those who have been longtime members. I'm with tattrat on this, if it seemed like a rediculous questions why not guide him/her from the beginning to some other helpful threads. I saw over 30 responses in this thread and was anxious to see what the folks had to say but in reality there was nothing really useful for me also. Aloha and I don't mean any disrespect!
                  Last edited by stevo75; April 13, 2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Wow. I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the new moderators for the forum these days - can I get an updated list?

Comment

Do's…

1) Familiarize yourself with the history of these islands.

2) Respect the differences between Hawaii and the other states on the Conus.

3) Take your shoes off when entering a local family's home.

4) Let people merge into traffic while driving.

5) Wave or acknowledge when somebody lets you merge in front of them

6) Learn to be able to make a distinction between all the different ethnicities that live here. There is a lot of ethnic pride in Hawaii and people may get pissed off if you mistake them for another race... say like calling a Samoan person, Tongan.

7) Attempt to pickup Japanese women (Japanese Nationals) in Waikiki.

Do Not…

1) Bring any Conus biases, perspectives, logic (if you have any) here with you. Immerse yourself in the spirit of Hawaii and you'll find much happiness here.

2) Use your horn unless you absolutely have to.

3) Complain if things are different here than they are back home.

4) Question programs that benefit Native Hawaiians without realizing why they are in place.

5) Try to converse with locals in pidgin unless the language comes naturally.

6) Attempt to enter Hawaiian waters if you can't swim.

Comment

Thanks, Keanu!

I have been doing a LOT of research on the islands, and am VERY excited to experience the Islands cultures.

The main reason I started this thread was for open, and honest input from Natives/Locals of Hawaii, and I appreciate your response.
                        flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Off topic...

TATTRAT, can I ask some Bermuda questions pwwwweasssssssse?

Have you seen Catherine Zeta-Jones in real life and is she as amazingly perfect looking in person? LOL.

Also, is it true that there are a lot of Portuguese people in Bermuda? I have heard that before.
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Ah, if it were only as easy as following a list of "rules" to fit in. There's a town in Quebec that is presently taking a lot of heat for coming up with just such a (somewhat facetious) list, aimed primarily at an influx of new residents coming from Islamic cultural backgrounds.

Yet, people seem to think residents of Hawai`i can pull out a wallet-card of behaviors that will make the non-resident "fit right in." Keanu's offered up some good suggestions, but you know what? A valuable part of the human experience comes from learning things the hard way - by making mistakes, by screwing up, by apologizing and laughing it off with the new community that you are hoping to be welcomed by, and by trying again. You can't fake your way past that.

Anyone entering unfamiliar surroundings paralyzed by the fear of making a faux pas or two is going to sweat the wrong stuff. Being true to who you are, the product of your life to date, is valuable. Enter a new environment and adapt. But don't get too hung up on the social rules.

(And remember, anyone who tells you any "dos & don'ts" is going to hand you something enrobed in their own biases - just like this very posting. )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Ah, if it were only as easy as following a list of "rules" to fit in. There's a town in Quebec that is presently taking a lot of heat for coming up with just such a (somewhat facetious) list, aimed primarily at an influx of new residents coming from Islamic cultural backgrounds.

Yet, people seem to think residents of Hawai`i can pull out a wallet-card of behaviors that will make the non-resident "fit right in." Keanu's offered up some good suggestions, but you know what? A valuable part of the human experience comes from learning things the hard way - by making mistakes, by screwing up, by apologizing and laughing it off with the new community that you are hoping to be welcomed by, and by trying again. You can't fake your way past that.

Anyone entering unfamiliar surroundings paralyzed by the fear of making a faux pas or two is going to sweat the wrong stuff. Being true to who you are, the product of your life to date, is valuable. Enter a new environment and adapt. But don't get too hung up on the social rules.

(And remember, anyone who tells you any "dos & don'ts" is going to hand you something enrobed in their own biases - just like this very posting. )
                              You make a very good point Leo and I would tend to agree but a little advice can't hurt.

Comment

You make a very good point Leo and I would tend to agree but a little advice can't hurt.
                                True. It's all a balancing act, and the center of gravity is always adjustable.

(It's starting to pheel like a Philosophical Phriday.)

Comment

Working...
                                X