Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another reason to eat locally grown food

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    This has everything to do with what you guys eat. Most of your stuff is coming from somewhere else. The majority of the food you consume is imported from somewhere else.
    "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Frozen catfish and imported canned goods from Asia. It COULD be an issue, but is it?

NOPE.

Keep stirring the pot, Chicken Little.

Why don't you worry about "your" stuff up there on the mainland. We don't need you opining from atop your high horse thousands of miles away.

Comment

The majority of the food you consume is imported from somewhere else.
      Oh... my... GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Attention, citizens of Hawai`i nei -- Effective immediately, STOP EATING. I mean, COMPLETELY stop eating! Don't take another single bite until that person in Seattle says it's safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could die! Your intestines could grow out of your nose! You could... oh, Lord, it's just too horrible to contemplate!
      How could I ever have survived all these years without these Seattle-based pearls of wisdom?!?
      Hey, wait a second. Is all the food in Seattle GROWN in Seattle? Isn't the "majority of food" in Seattle "imported from somewhere else" too? Attention, citizens of Seattle! Effective immediately, STOP EATING!!
      No no. Wait.
      Almost everyone on Planet Earth eats a "majority of food" that's "imported from somewhere else"!!!
      Attention, citizens of Planet Earth!

Oh, never mind.
      False alarm.
      Again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

jsut an FYI, for some companies, they do require and comply with guidelines to state that food si safe for consumption. such as Kona Kampachi, when they found out that the feed they use could have been tainted, they recalled everything that went out and sent out a notice that they were testing their feed for contamination. luckily, it wasn't contaminated. and if memory serves me correctly, if a company were to bring in a product from China, that company has to have a ceritifed letter/healt cert stating its safe for human consumption.

Comment

umm, I think I remember reading someplace that Miulang was born/raised on Maui? Why does everyone keep treating her like she has never been to the islands?

I agree that we don't need all the panic stuff coming our way. Most folks on here are smart enough to be aware of where their food comes from and whether it is "safe" without being lectured about it.

I just don't think we need to keep attacking the messenger.

but, you all can attack me now for saying the above. I can take it.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            umm, I think I remember reading someplace that Miulang was born/raised on Maui? Why does everyone keep treating her like she has never been to the islands?
            Reverse that question: Why does she keep lecturing us like we've never been here? We live here.

I agree that we don't need all the panic stuff coming our way.
            AMEN to that.

Most folks on here are smart enough to be aware of where their food comes from and whether it is "safe" without being lectured about it.
            AMEN to that too!

but, you all can attack me now for saying the above. I can take it.
            I imagine you could, but I don't know why anyone would "attack" you for saying something that most of us agree with.
            [/high five]

Comment

AMEN!! To LikaNui's Post!!

Fran, I'm delivering Mango's to you this morning!

Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; July 20, 2007, 08:08 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Bottom line. Hawai'i, more than on CONUS, relies on imported food (like 90% of it). You can stick your fingers in your ears and go "nananana". But if you actually read some of the stuff I've been posting, it will give you some information you need to know if you want to be prudent about the choices you make at the supermarket. Caveat emptor. I'm not forcing you to believe anything I say; if you don't like it, put me on ignore.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But if you actually read some of the stuff I've been posting, it will give you some information you need to know
                  See, that's where I and many others have a problem, Miulang. What you just posted is, once again, your lecturing us and it clearly implies that we are incapable of finding that information on our own and/or that we don't follow the news as much as you do.
                  And that's not only offensive, it's just plain wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    See, that's where I and many others have a problem, Miulang. What you just posted is, once again, your lecturing us and it clearly implies that we are incapable of finding that information on our own and/or that we don't follow the news as much as you do.
                    And that's not only offensive, it's just plain wrong.
                    As if others don't do it too? Just put me on ignore, Lika, or do you just like to see yourself in the role of schoolteacher? You're not an administrator of HT and you should only speak for yourself. I have not broken any rules on this board, just providing information for anybody who wants it.
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 20, 2007, 09:17 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You're not an administrator of HT
                      No, but that does remind me that the HT Admin has indeed strongly -- and publicly -- suggested to you in the past that you start your own blog, for all your lectures and "the sky is falling" panic posts.

and you should only speak for yourself.
                      Perhaps you've missed the posts to you from many other people, saying basically what I say?

I have not broken any rules on this board
                      Nor have I. And as long as you continue to treat HT readers as inferior idiots and continue trying to scare folks or cause panic -- and as long as your posts continually use ifs and maybes and might be's and could be's -- I will continue to reply however I darned well please.
                      As will others.
                      Last edited by LikaNui; July 20, 2007, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Re: Post count

Miulang -- PaloloJoe has mentioned several times that you're just trying to bloat your post count, so in case you haven't looked recently, here are the Top 10 as of right now:

Miulang -- 8,005

Almost 1,000 more than 1stWahine -- 7,071

Over 2,000 more than HT's owner, Pzarquon -- 5,932

Almost double the amount of
                        Craigwatanabe -- 4,906
                        TutuSue -- 4,203
                        Leo Lakio -- 4,200

Over 4,000 posts more than
                        HT moderator Helen -- 3,851
                        Adrian -- 3,254

And over 5,000 posts more than
                        Glen Miyashiro -- 2,931
                        HT moderator Mel -- 2,927

PaloloJoe is clearly correct in saying that you're trying to bloat your post count. And now perhaps you understand why many of us are unhappy that you're clearly intentionally dominating HT with your fear-factor posts.

Last edited by LikaNui; July 20, 2007, 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo

Comment

Just wondering...why does anyone care anything about post counts? Do you get a prize for it, or money, or recognition in the HT Hall of Keyboard-Wearing-Out-Ness? Does anyone really follow those little numbers? Why should anyone care who posts how much?

I used to find it interesting in my first few months of HT, back when the chicklet system was also in place - now, I don't care a whit. Seems like a rather petty topic, and I wouldn't care if that information went away (like the reputation system did, and I'm glad to see it gone.) The number of times someone adds to a thread has no bearing on the content (or perceived quality of said content) of their posts.

As for what Miulang (or anyone, for that matter) contributes, the decision to call it lecturing or informing or sharing or complaining or whining or teaching rests with your own individual interpretation - and it doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else's perpsective.

As for the concept of giving posts from the Islands more value than those from elsewhere - well, until Admin says "HT is for Island residents only," that bird don't fly.

Finally, to paraphrase the Dalai Lama of Tibet (not a resident of Hawai`i, so his voice may mean nothing to some of you): "If anything I say has value to you, great. If not, just ignore it."

Have we bashed each other enough for today? Oh, I forgot - I'm from Seattle (and I'm not even from Hawai`i originally), so I don't count. Except for the number of my posts, I guess - better catch up to Tutusue. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Just wondering...why does anyone care anything about post counts? Do you get a prize for it, or money, or recognition in the HT Hall of Keyboard-Wearing-Out-Ness? Does anyone really follow those little numbers? Why should anyone care who posts how much?
                            I was kind of wondering about that too. During the time of the reputation system the number of post that you have for your account did determine the amount of reputation points you could give, which was set at 1 reputation point for every 100 post that you did. In Muliang case of 8000+ posts that's 800 points of reputation she could assign to a post. A person could just earn an extra square (which was given for every 500 points earned) whenever she gave a reputation.

Nowadays post counts might make sense for those going through the ranks but once you get to Ali'i the number of post you make doesn't convey anything.

Comment

Leo and Helen -- I think you're missing my main point, which I have now boldfaced for you:

And now perhaps you understand why many of us are unhappy that you're clearly intentionally dominating HT
                              with your fear-factor posts.
                              The problem is the incessant negativity of her posts. The endless "little boy who cried wolf", glass-is-half-full, everything-can-kill-you, none-of-you-people-are-bright-enough-to-read-much-less-understand-the-news stuffs.
                              The post count numbers merely show how damned often it happens.

Comment

Leo and Helen -- I think you're missing my main point, which I have now boldfaced for you:

The problem is the incessant negativity of her posts. The endless "little boy who cried wolf", glass-is-half-full, everything-can-kill-you, none-of-you-people-are-bright-enough-to-read-much-less-understand-the-news stuffs.
                                The post count numbers merely show how damned often it happens.
                                And as long as you and PJ insist on stalking me and chastising me, then I consider us even. Quit stalking and perhaps you might not be so fearful. If you chose to interpret the stuff I post as being fear mongering, then I suggest you look at the yourself at the mirror and ask yourself if you are a good representative of what Hawai'i is supposed to stand for...tolerance and ALOHA. You might also want to consider the fact that I have never, ever said anything negative about YOU. Do you want me to start now?

Comment

Working...
                                X