The Trask Sisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trask Sisters

I hear a lot of negative about the Trask sisters that I'm starting to wonder, does anyone on HT actually like them? Threads that involve these women (Haunani-Kay especially) turn out not so nice.

My very haole husband is fond of Haunani-Kay Trask even if, odds are, she wouldn't like him very much. Maybe on one of his off days I can get him to register and explain why.

It's a curiousity of mine, does anyone have anything positive to say about Haunani-Kay or Mililani?
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Re: The Trask Sisters

I am something of a fan of Haunani-Kay. She sat in on a creative writing class I was in at UH-Hilo shortly after her most recent anthology of poetry was released, and we got to talk a LOT about writing. She does consider herself a writer, with no qualification on it like "political" or "Hawaiian." I don't think her poetry is the greatest, but it reads the way poetry by a thinking writer reads. That goes a long way with me. I went in expecting to be disappointed; I left feeling that I'd learned a thing or two about the writing process.

I disagree with the way Ka Lahui has done things, but I agree (mostly) with their model for soveriegnty and I believe it's one of the more workable models (nation-within-a-nation status).

So yeah. Count me a fan.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      I hear a lot of negative about the Trask sisters that I'm starting to wonder, does anyone on HT actually like them? Threads that involve these women (Haunani-Kay especially) turn out not so nice.

My very haole husband is fond of Haunani-Kay Trask even if, odds are, she wouldn't like him very much. Maybe on one of his off days I can get him to register and explain why.

It's a curiousity of mine, does anyone have anything positive to say about Haunani-Kay or Mililani?
      I have much respect for the Trask sisters. Some people have issues with the messages they convey and because of that, they dislike them. I however, have only respect for them and know of others within the Hawaiian Community that share my sentiments.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        I have much respect for the Trask sisters. Some people have issues with the messages they convey and because of that, they dislike them. I however, have only respect for them and know of others within the Hawaiian Community that share my sentiments.
        The only thing that erks me about then is the fact that Trask is a very haole name and they always BADMOUTH the white people.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Need more kanaka like Haunani-Kay.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
            The only thing that erks me about then is the fact that Trask is a very haole name and they always BADMOUTH the white people.
            The Trasks are part caucasian. They don't bad mouth white people, only those they consider "haole".

Comment

I think one of Keanu's points matches my attitude: they come across as abrasive, so it's sometimes hard to get past the messenger in order to really listen to the message. But I want to hear their story, and I wouldn't ask them to deliver it any differently than the way they feel is right.

Comment

Youtube.com link to an interview with Mililani Trask for people on HT not too familiar with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOkPUuumF4

Comment

For the record, I consider alohabear to be "haole". He is haole in my book so henceforth, I will refer to him as "haoleboy".

Comment

The Trasks are part caucasian. They don't bad mouth white people, only those they consider "haole".
                    From Honolulu Magazine:
                    Trask played a formative role in the creation of the University of Hawai'i's Center for Hawaiian Studies, and became the university's first full-time professor of Hawaiian Studies. She caught flak in 1990 for suggesting a "haole" UH student return to the Mainland, but remains unrepentant about her vocal opposition to what she sees as continued injustice: "For a long time, people have been accustomed to Hawaiians being soft, sweet and kind, willingly accepting of their oppression. That time has passed. We are articulate, educated, angry, forceful. I'm proud to represent that."
                    She has done a lot to help the Hawaiian culture. I would say the Trasks are 3/4 caucasian, and they pick who they want to be racist to.

Flickr

Comment

For the record, I consider alohabear to be "haole". He is haole in my book so henceforth, I will refer to him as "haoleboy".
                      That's cool...BTW Keanu we are still waiting for your answer on the question Timkona asked you on another thread.

Flickr

Comment

I can't talk for my husband but I do know one of the things he likes so much about Haunani-Kay is how she speaks. He feels that Kanaka should be powerful with their message to get it across to people, especially here on the continent. A lot of times he and I don't agree with how I talk to people about Hawaiian issues. He thinks I'm too nice about it and people are going to think Hawaiians are just fine with how their lives are if I act so aloha like about it. He tells me nothing will change unless I act upset and passionate about the cause. He thinks that if theres too much aloha people will just brush off what I say.
                        Last edited by Lei K; April 13, 2007, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haoleboy View Post
                          That's cool...BTW Keanu we are still waiting for your answer on the question Timkona asked you on another thread.
                          I will respond to Tim when I have finished my research. I will send my response to Tim directly. Whether or not he wishes to disclose that information with you is up to him.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadInTheClouds View Post
                            I will respond to Tim when I have finished my research. I will send my response to Tim directly. Whether or not he wishes to disclose that information with you is up to him.
                            I was just wondering(like MANY on this board)because your statements were made so public ,I and many who responded to that thread were waiting ,but if you like keep 'um private....that's cool
                            Aloha!

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              From Honolulu Magazine:
                              She has done a lot to help the Hawaiian culture. I would say the Trasks are 3/4 caucasian, and they pick who they want to be racist to.
                              Perhaps Haole is a state of mind??? I just started Native Daughter and so far I agree with what she is saying.
                              "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Working...
                              X