Lived smug and wealthy
    Off our land
    Parasite arrogant
    A fist
    In your painted
    Mouth, thick
    With money
    And piety

Wow.....that is poetry. Tito, get me a tissue. Apartheid is always a good answer. Right?

"In Hawaii, I am probably the most famous racist," she said,"

A quick search of the internet revealed so many vile, racist remarks that I am shocked. (and it takes a lot to shock me). If these are the types of people revered in the culture of the islands, then it should be no surprise that the culture is on the ropes. She is a cancer, unseen, unfelt, that is certain to kill the host organism.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: The Trask Sisters

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      does anyone have anything positive to say about Haunani-Kay or Mililani?
      I think it's safe to put Tim in the "no" column on this question.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        Racist White Woman

I could kick
        Your face, puncture
        Both eyes.
        You deserve this kind
        Of violence.
        No more vicious
        Tongues, obscene
        Lies.
        Just a knife
        Slitting your tight
        Little heart.
        For all my people
        Under your feet
        For all those years
        Lived smug and wealthy
        Off our land
        Parasite arrogant
        A fist
        In your painted
        Mouth, thick
        With money
        And piety

Wow.....that is poetry. Tito, get me a tissue. Apartheid is always a good answer. Right?

"In Hawaii, I am probably the most famous racist," she said,"

A quick search of the internet revealed so many vile, racist remarks that I am shocked. (and it takes a lot to shock me). If these are the types of people revered in the culture of the islands, then it should be no surprise that the culture is on the ropes. She is a cancer, unseen, unfelt, that is certain to kill the host organism.
        LOL ~ Perhaps she is speaking in metaphor Tim.
        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          I think it's safe to put Tim in the "no" column on this question.
          Could be those are the most positive things Tim can say.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
            I will respond to Tim when I have finished my research. I will send my response to Tim directly. Whether or not he wishes to disclose that information with you is up to him.
            Oh, man...that is SO not fair...remember:
            Originally posted by Keanu View Post
            I will gladly post those numbers when I finish my research.
            Seriously, Keanu, I hope you will post publicly - and if you don't, then I hope Tim will share your information with us. The general rule of etiquette is to NOT post a PM into a thread - but you've herein granted permission for him to do so. Your research will be a valuable piece of the ongoing discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Just so you know: I agree that this is not good poetry; it is, however, not representative of the poetry in her collection. Tim, does it make any difference to you (I ask in all sincerity) to know that this is not aimed at white women in general, but one particular white woman for whom Haunani-Kay felt this aggression? She is not targeting white women as a population, but one PARTICULAR white woman. I asked her to clarify this and this is how she explained it.

I think we've all felt this way about one person at some time.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                but one PARTICULAR white woman. I asked her to clarify this and this is how she explained it.
                That was my guess as she said woman and not women.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Its a powerful piece. I never read anything like it....imo betta than that academia follow the rules structured garbage.

Comment

Well Scriv, perhaps it was aimed at one particular woman. But the quote about being the most famous racist is quite revealing.

I am now certain, and I mean ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, that I know nothing about racism. I simply don't get the concept. You could bonk me on the head, and I guarantee I won't understand.

It's really tearing at my self-esteem to realize there is something I'm not good at. I'm gonna work on this. Doggone it, I have been able to learn most things ever presented to me. I WILL learn to be a racist eventually. Is there any kind of self help tapes, or online programs. Maybe hypnosis, or some kind of prescription medication would help. Time to Google.

Anybody got any other ideas that might help me learn to be a better racist??
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                      I hear a lot of negative about the Trask sisters that I'm starting to wonder, does anyone on HT actually like them? Threads that involve these women (Haunani-Kay especially) turn out not so nice.
                      They're outspoken community leaders with their hands in a whole mess of controversial topics. They're lightning rods. They're intensely provocative, frequently wrong, but articulate and decisive and brilliant. They cause a stir, but they know exactly what they're doing when they do. So you could put me in the "like" column, too.

I dealt frequently with both Trask sisters at UH (Haunani-Kay in particular), both as editor of Ka Leo and as a student in Hawaiian Studies. I respected them always, and liked them... most of the time. Though she wasn't a Trask, I was also a fan of Lilikala Kameeleihiwa.

I say this even though they, at varying times, denounced me and Ka Leo. Even though there was a Campus Center protest against us and our "racist" publication right outside our office. Even though I was told that I may be part Hawaiian, but because I disagreed with some particular sovereignty model, I was simply "misguided." (The horror of a Hawaiian disagreeing with another Hawaiian!) They also responded to interview requests, handled themselves professionally, helped us publish a regular all Hawaiian language column... and defended us when we refused to print translations.

Of course, my appreciation is not unwavering. They anger me sometimes, too. I just remind myself that many of the things other activists and activist groups do (ACLU, PETA, etc.) make me shake my head or feel disgust. But at the same time, I'm usually glad that they're there.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; April 13, 2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

There are ways passionate people can express their fervor for a topic or cause without casting others in a disrespectful light, however.

When you look at a Maya Angelou or a Barbara Jordan---and both are very commanding presences---you see that in the way they carry themselves and the way they speak, they don't need to hurl expletives or invectives, and yet they still can get their points across. I think more people listen when the volume is turned down than when the volume is loud and the words hurtful. Another example: Ghandhi. He moved a country and world without uttering any profanities.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Oh, man...that is SO not fair...remember:Seriously, Keanu, I hope you will post publicly - and if you don't, then I hope Tim will share your information with us. The general rule of etiquette is to NOT post a PM into a thread - but you've herein granted permission for him to do so. Your research will be a valuable piece of the ongoing discussions.

Comment

Tim only got a violin --- I rate a full-on harp! (Stop stringin' me along, man.)

Comment

"Lightning rod" is a good description. I think people often mistake the Trask sisters for the political and cultural parts they play. It's almost like having a real live avatar.

I disagree with much of what they say. However, by sheer force of personality and intellectual brilliance, they're trying to strike a balance in decades of hypocrasy. My limited real-life experience with them was delightful, however. They are bright, amusing, articulate and passionate. And a real pain in the okole. That's a good thing in a world full of mealy-mouthed middle-roaders.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                That's a good thing in a world full of mealy-mouthed middle-roaders.
                                Very well put buzz.

Comment

Working...
                                X