Man vs Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man vs Wild

Does anyone else watch this show? It's on the Discovery Channel. Bear Grylls is interesting and great fun to watch though I didn't expect him to be nekkid on the recent Alps episode. Is anyone else a fan of Man vs Wild?
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Re: Man vs Wild

I don't know if I'd call myself a fan but I watch the show quite regularly.

Comment

yup, been on the air for a while and is usually interesting stuff (tho there are a lot of times when he's simply playing for the camera and making things appear tougher than it is)...
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

If you haven't seen the one they filmed on the big island yet, it's sorta cool.

He's cute to watch. I kinda like Les Stroud better tho, but they're both entertaining.

Comment

I wouldn't have called myself a fan until I realized if I see a new episode, I watch it. So it's either I'm a fan or weirdly fascinated by the shows concept.

The Kenya episode really got my kids saying, "Grossssssss." It's the one where he gnawed at a half eaten Zebra carcass. Hmmm, maybe I watch this show to she their reactions to everything, it's hilarious.

Les Stroud is Surviorman, yes? Haven't watched that one yet. Is it better than Man vs Wild?

Comment

I like the Less Stroud program as well, if not a little more, the the Bear show.

I like the fact they are both survivalists, but Less does all his own camera work, is a little more isolated, and has to schlep all that stuff with him.

Bear is good, and very informative, but I guess it is because I was watching Survivor Man before Man V. Wild, and saw it as a copy cat.

Either way, both shows are cool to watch, and the both have there strong points. I wish they would start a new season.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Ack! I gotta not type when I'm half awake. She instead of see, ahhh!

Anyway, it's funny that you say you watched Survivorman first and saw Man vs Wild as a copy cat. Here my husband and I just saw previews for Survivorman and said, "Oh my, a copycat already?"

And really Les does all his own camera work? That's awesome! I'll definitely give that show a try then. I know there are times I think, geez how many flippin camera men does Bear have with him to get all of those angles?

Comment

I too saw Survivorman before I saw Man v. Wild. Some differences: Bear sometimes puts himself into dangerous situations to show you how to survive (like falling into quicksand, a crevasse, falling through ice etc). Les uses what he's got (wreckage and a backpack with ordinary gear you may have if you were travelling). Les stresses the important of not sweating. Bear could care less about sweating and runs around as long as he's got the energy. The sweating thing was the first thing I noticed and was like woah, Bear has been running for like 4 minutes in the desert! hahah

Les drags 50lbs of camera equipment with him and usually has some sort of wreckage to use. One time he took apart a camera to use and then I noticed a few episodes later, he specifically mentions that he can't use the camera equipment to survive, so I'm thinkin he may have gotten in trouble . No one comes looking for Les until the 7th day (unless he makes it to his designated place before then). He normally complains about the weight of the equipment and the hassel of getting shots of him walking (cuz he has to walk back to get the equipment) at least once during the show, which I'm assuming he does to inform new viewers (or maybe he's just really complaining, cuz I totally would). Bear has a camera crew who has food, water, maps, etc if what I read is correct.

There's another survivorman on tv that does recaps of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" who will kinda relive people's stories - like the episode about the group who went into the Amazon and only 2 survived, so he went and lived in the Amazon for a few days and talked about what you should do if you get stuck in the same situation as the group. He seemed like a guy who was probably really nice, but I wouldn't want to piss him off.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                  Does anyone else watch this show? It's on the Discovery Channel. Bear Grylls is interesting and great fun to watch though I didn't expect him to be nekkid on the recent Alps episode. Is anyone else a fan of Man vs Wild?

*makes note to dvr the nekkid bear eppy...drooooool*

i find both shows rather inspiring--the beau and i catch either when we can.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post

There's another survivorman on tv that does recaps of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" who will kinda relive people's stories - like the episode about the group who went into the Amazon and only 2 survived, so he went and lived in the Amazon for a few days and talked about what you should do if you get stuck in the same situation as the group. He seemed like a guy who was probably really nice, but I wouldn't want to piss him off.
                    yeah, that was an interesting show. what an amazing stroke of luck that the friend found the other friend after he was rescued and how sad that the other two guys were never seen again...
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

SO did anyone watch him in Hawaii lastnight??
                      Trekking across the volcano and through the jungle?? Pretty wicked stuff.
                      he said it was some of the roughest terrain he has ever gone across!
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007...don_kaplan.htm

According to this article, Man vs. Wild is almost all fake. Bear sleeps in cushy hotels then travels on-site so they can film him biting the head off a snake for breakfast. He has a team of builders construct him a raft then it's made to look as if he did it. Boo.

BTW, the new season of Survivorman starts tonight!

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                        Les drags 50lbs of camera equipment with him and usually has some sort of wreckage to use. One time he took apart a camera to use and then I noticed a few episodes later, he specifically mentions that he can't use the camera equipment to survive, so I'm thinkin he may have gotten in trouble .
                        In that episode, Les's survival scenario was that he was part of a wilderness film crew that got stranded. He was given some old broken camera equipment that he was allowed to use "in-scenario", but he never touches the stuff he uses to film the show.... except to film the show.
                        Last edited by zff; August 10, 2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007...don_kaplan.htm

According to this article, Man vs. Wild is almost all fake. Bear sleeps in cushy hotels then travels on-site so they can film him biting the head off a snake for breakfast. He has a team of builders construct him a raft then it's made to look as if he did it. Boo.
                          wow! what a shocker!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X