Smaller planes hurting tourism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller planes hurting tourism?

The airline companies, in their efforts to maximize their profits and minimize operating expenses, are starting to roll out smaller, more fuel efficient aircraft on their Hawai'i routes, which reduces the number of seats available and raises per ticket prices. This apparently is particularly significant in the Japanese market. So the Hawai'i visitors' bureau is embarking on a plan to convince the carriers to increase the frequency of flights to make up for the lower number of seats per planeload to Hawai'i. One challenge of having increased flights might be the capacity of the infrastructure at the local airports to support additional flights, though, as the number of open gates available at any time will remain constant.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Smaller planes hurting tourism?

I don't think smaller planes are hurting tourism. It's the other way around. The switch to smaller, efficient planes reflects the demand of tourism which is probably weakening. Airlines are switching to smaller planes because of rising fuel costs and the newer, smaller planes, are that much more fuel efficient - 2 engines vs 4 on a 747. If the tourist demand is there, the airlines will naturally increase frequency to make up for the capacity. If they don't, it means the demand isn't there. ANA will phase out their 747s in 3 years, that will be one less carrier in Hawaii without a 747. Qantas already removed their 747 and replaced it with a 767 ever since they started up Jetstar service to Hawaii. At this rate, HNL will lose some glamour as you will see 747s removed and I don't expect the 380 to show up either.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      I don't think smaller planes are hurting tourism. It's the other way around. The switch to smaller, efficient planes reflects the demand of tourism which is probably weakening. Airlines are switching to smaller planes because of rising fuel costs and the newer, smaller planes, are that much more fuel efficient - 2 engines vs 4 on a 747. If the tourist demand is there, the airlines will naturally increase frequency to make up for the capacity. If they don't, it means the demand isn't there. ANA will phase out their 747s in 3 years, that will be one less carrier in Hawaii without a 747. Qantas already removed their 747 and replaced it with a 767 ever since they started up Jetstar service to Hawaii. At this rate, HNL will lose some glamour as you will see 747s removed and I don't expect the 380 to show up either.
      If the Airbus 380 does make a trip here, I think an EIS will be needed...Hey if the super ferry needs one...
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        If the Airbus 380 does make a trip here, I think an EIS will be needed...Hey if the super ferry needs one...
        I'm not even sure if HNL has the proper facilities for a 380. Runways and taxiways I'm pretty sure HNL can easily handle the 380. But wonder if the gates are?

With longer range planes being developed and ETOPS being pushed further and further to new limits, Hawaii is actually losing lay-over flights. I can recall a few airlines that no longer serve the Hawaii market for one reason or another.

Singapore
        Garuda Indonesia
        Eva Air
        Harmony
        Asiana
        Malaysia

Comment

The downsizing of overseas aircraft flying into Hawaii has been going on for at least 12 years now, ever since the FAA passed the ETOPS rules which allowed airlines to fly twin engine jets (Boeing 757, 767 and now 777; Airbus equivelents; Aloha Airlines was the first to fly a 737-700 mainland to Hawaii) between distant points.

I will miss flying on the larger 747s or even the nearly phased out DC-10 and L-1011 aircraft. Now most flights coming into Hawaii are 767s and 757s.... this will become even more so when the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner hits the market sometime in the next year or two.

As for the Airbus A380, the plane is too big to fly into any airport in Hawaii. Perhaps a landing on the reef runway is possible, but taxi into the terminal area may be impossible as the wingspan is probably too wide.

There are some airlines flying the 4-engine A340 into Hawaii.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            I can recall a few airlines that no longer serve the Hawaii market for one reason or another.

Singapore
            Garuda Indonesia
            Eva Air
            Harmony
            Asiana
            Malaysia
            Harmony Airlines is probably going out of business after announcing major cutbacks. I remember when Gaurda and Singapore Airline jets were quite common sights at HNL.

Perhaps the flipside to smaller planes coming into Hawaii is the fact that they can all fly into the 5 major island airports without having to stop to or from Honolulu to refuel or drop off extra weight. Maui's and Lihue's airport have runways less than 7,000 feet long which can comfortably handle most of the smaller jets. Hilo, Kona and Honolulu have long enough runways to accomodate just about anything except for the A380.
            Last edited by mel; April 14, 2007, 05:43 PM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I believe Northwest is phasing out their DC-10's in favor of A330's. I've seen a Canadian charter airline fly a A310 to Kona Int'l Airport also.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                I believe Northwest is phasing out their DC-10's in favor of A330's. I've seen a Canadian charter airline fly a A310 to Kona Int'l Airport also.
                Already happened, NWA's last DC10 flights to/from Hawaii were either in last Dec or Jan. At this point, don't think there are any more scheduled DC10 flights to Hawaii anymore.

That's cool with the A310, you don't see many Airbuses in Hawaii though that's changing now. Jetstar has an A330 flying in and China Air has an A340. I think Philippine Airlines may have an A340 too.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Harmony Airlines is probably going out of business after announcing major cutbacks. I remember when Gaurda and Singapore Airline jets were quite common sights at HNL.
                  Harmony screwed themselves up by using the 757. That plane has hit it's end of useful life in the passenger airline business because the new 737-900 effectively replaces it. Guess the success of the 737 series has cannibalized one of it's fellow brothers. Harmony had a high cost op on the 757 while primary serving tourist markets which usually means the leanest profit margins. Just hoping maybe AC will take up the slack in serving the Hawaii - Canadian market.

I miss having Singapore fly the Hawaii market. They consistently get voted at the top for service.

Comment

Working...
                  X