Do you own a gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you own a gun?

I was a Boy Scout, and my Scoutmaster owned several small-caliber rifles and one pistol. I've had many opportunities to fire weapons, sometimes at summer camp, sometimes at the Koko Crater range, sometimes at special events. I think guns are a lot like alcohol and religion: When you grow up surrounded by people who use them smartly and responsibly, they're just not a big deal and you can make a reasonable decision for yourself when it's time.

If I lived where there were lots of vermin, like Cameron does, I'd seriously consider it. As it is, I am a wussy city-dweller and use a spray-bottle filled with soapy water for killing roaches (very effective, and much cleaner), and that's about the extent of my wilderness control program.

I can see myself someday owning one just for the firing range (it's really, really fun!), but it's one of those things I just don't need in my life; therefore, I don't own one.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Theres always the possibility that the 2nd amendment is misconstrued:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128834..._to_bear_arms/

808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

under the bed, under the sinks and in the hallway closet: cans of Raid Wasp&Hornet Killer. The stream length will blast any perp in my home and it is a silent spray. Plus, the can is solid black; only if you know where its hidden can you get it.

Nail the orofices good and from then on its a fair fight.

pax

Comment

I live near the shooting range out here in Hawaii Kai. When we had our van serviced recently, the shuttle driver gave me a ride home and talked about being in the MidPacific Pistol League. He told me about how they try to stay below radar because the media is so against gun ownership and the NRA. What he said to me was interesting: That the Second Ammendment makes it possible for us to have all the other ammendments. I told him I was a journalist and I hoped that he noticed that I was being open minded about his position, and I do believe it's a valid point.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The 2nd Admendment calls for a "well-regulated" militia.

I also have a cheap BB gun used to nail bufos when they invade.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I always had a gun or a rifle around while growing up. It wasn't until recently that I finally gave up my .40 Glock to a coworker who's an avid pig hunter.

I have a daughter in the house now, and despite all the safety procedures followed, I really didn't want to become another statistic if she were to somehow find it and load it.

So I compenstated by getting Rottweiler

DD
              www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

I'm fine with a person's right to own a firearm.

Personally I stay away from them.

I grew up with guns around the house, my dad went hunting regularly. I wasn't, however, allowed to play with toy guns... not even water pistols. My parents' idea being that a gun is not a toy. Aiming, pulling triggers, all that should never be done for "fun." When you pull the trigger, you are in the position to kill something. That should not be a form of fun.

Of course, as soon as I went to my friends' house, out would come the toy guns.

And that idea that a gun is not a toy has always stuck with me. I've been to firing ranges, I've taken gun courses. I've shot everything from a BB gun to an M-16. I've toyed with the idea of buying a gun for "recreational shooting."

But I always found myself coming back to the idea that a gun's sole purpose is to kill. I'm not comfortable having fun with that. Guns are serious business, and I feel they shouldn't be taken lightly for any reason.

As for having it in the house for protection, honestly, I don't know if I could actually kill a human. And the possibility for fatal error increases too much -- I hear a noise... must be an intruder... grab the gun... kill some guy holding a cell phone trying to rip off my guitar. Sure, a silly scenario, but you get the point. Not worth killing in my book. Anyway, I'd probably miss, the shot goes through the wall and through the neighbor's wall and kills him while he's sleeping. Talk about a completely avoidable farce. People often forget that in addition to your target, you have to be prepared to kill anything behind it as well.

Anyway, people "go down to the range" to "practice with their handguns" which they have "for protection." I'd venture that firing at a moving target in the dark at close range with loved ones behind several walls isn't as easy as shooting in broad daylight at a still target 45-yards away. But that's just conjecture.

Comment

I was thinking a long time ago of getting a BB or pellet gun for target shooting, but considering my transportation issues it wasn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                    I grew up around guns. Guns are a necessary tool on a working cattle ranch.
                    They are? How so? This is an honest question, I'd like to know.

Comment

I own about 30, ranging from collectibles ( Frontier,Civil war era) , home defense on to hunting. Owning firearms and hunting are definitely rights I choose to exercise and will not give up EVER. There is a reason the founding fathers put "Bearing Arms" so high on the Bill of Rights. Sorry to sound so militant but its a VERY sensitive subject with me.
                      Last edited by Babooze; April 17, 2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I also grew up around guns, we had a healthy respect for them.
                        I was shooting by the time I was 12. My parents had no gun locks they kept a sawed off shotgun in the closet in the kitchen.
                        I would not recommend that!

I have 3 boys so my gun is locked up and trigger locked and locked some more.
                        I am the opposite of most. I don't feel safe in my home without a gun. I guess it comes down to personal feelings. When you are beaten up, your back is literally broken, and other happen to you in your life....sometimes physical fighting is not safe enough. Not for me at least.

Funny thing? I won't allow my children to play with any toy guns.
                        They need to be respected, they can't learn respect playing with a toy.

I wanted to teach my 11 yr old to shoot but he is too immature. We will wait until he is old enough and can listen and repsect a gun as much as I do.
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

For those of you on the fence, try muzzleloading. What a hooot!
                          I'm talking mountainman era to Civil War era firearms. The kind you have to load loose powder and lead balls. Makes you really appreciate what the old timers went through when they were attacked by either man or beast. Also, muzzleloading guns are way less expensive to start and there's no requirement for registration nor any waiting periods. All you'd need is a rifle permit to prove HPD already did a background check (takes one week and this would be required for purchasing a muzzleloading firearm from a local vendor). Prior to that, you'd have to have taken a firearms safety class or passed a state Hunter Safety Program.

I believe June or July is the month for the Shooting Sports Fest at Koko Head. For those that are curious, this would be a great opportunity to see the different venues of shooting sports and to help support the Hawai'i Food Bank. All proceeds are donated to them. You can try everything from skeet, to action pistol (that's the Midpac Pistol League guys), to Cowboy Action Shooting (us guys) and then some.

We've seen quite a few people come down and have a change of heart towards gun ownership and guns in general. They may still not choose to own a gun, but they now understand why people participate in the shooting sports.

The following weekend usually has the Hawai'i Rifle Assoc. guys out there doing their Gettysburg thang. Great fun, good period eats. It may seem strange at first to see orientals dressed in Northern blues or Southern greys, but it's explained that there were hundreds of asians and pacific islanders that took part in the Civil War. Mostly not by choice, I might add. A google will get you a website that has a list of non-American Civil War participants. The ones that were documented anyway.

Babooze!...have we met up there? Maybe at Cowboy Action Shooting? Noticed what type of firearms you own.

Sorry, sorry. Since this affords some anonimity, yeah, I own guns. If it were a face to face, I'd have to answer that it's none of anyone elses business if I own firearms or not. For those of you who know I have a young child in the house, I do keep my firearms locked in a safe at all times. Even my wife doesn't know where the key is.

Comment

Who wants to know Who wants to find out
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Gun not my style, too humane. I prefer a spiked baseball bat. The feel of a caved-in skull vibrating through my bat up to my grip hands ... is orgasmic.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                                They are? How so? This is an honest question, I'd like to know.
                                There are varmits which need to be controlled including coyotes which will prey on weak calves. Then there are the inevitably sad times when an injured horse must be put down and the most humane way to do that is quickly. Wolves were not unknown in the area, and though we never shot one, we would fire a couple of rounds to scare them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X