Feedback on Craftsman tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feedback on Craftsman tools

That's some really good info, Craig. Thanks.

Comment

Rigid makes an awesome line of power tools, but for hand tools, I like Craftsman. Just the fact that everything can be replaced for life is worth it. I have never had a problem with them.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like even with power tools, one brand may excel in one area while another excels in another.

Comment

That is very true. As far as tools are concerned, i have never put all my eggs in one basket. There a numerous brands, and all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

When it comes to certain things, like long term investments like tools, weigh the options like a financial investment, see what the returns are. Get more bang for the buck.
          flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            Rigid makes an awesome line of power tools, but for hand tools, I like Craftsman. Just the fact that everything can be replaced for life is worth it. I have never had a problem with them.

One word of caution with Sears' return policy. They are getting pretty akamai about abuse and if they see abnormal wear on their sockets, they can reject the replacement. They had a bulletin go out to all Sears Hardware departments nationwide where they illustrated how a standard socket that was returned cracked was improperly used with an impact wrench.

If they see the typical wear-pattern of an impact tool's mark on the drive side of a socket they are authorized not to take the damaged socket in for replacement.

At Home Depot we exclusively sell the HUSKY brand including a limited variety of hand tools including socket sets. HUSKY like Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. One thing about HUSKY is that because it is sold exclusively at Home Depot, if for ANY REASON you aren't satisfied by their products, you 90-days to return it Hassle free at Home Depot. It doesn't matter if you used it, it doesn't matter if it's pretty beat up. We'll take it back.

One product line I wished we carried is the Kobalt hand tools sold by Lowes. Those are some pretty nice tools.
            Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 20, 2007, 01:18 PM.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              At Home Depot we exclusively sell the HUSKY brand including a limited variety of hand tools including socket sets. HUSKY like Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. One thing about HUSKY is that because it is sold exclusively at Home Depot, if for ANY REASON you aren't satisfied by their products, you 90-days to return it Hassle free at Home Depot. It doesn't matter if you used it, it doesn't matter if it's pretty beat up. We'll take it back.

One product line I wished we carried is the Kobalt hand tools sold by Lowes. Those are some pretty nice tools.
              Are the HUSKY and KOBALT line of tools just as good as Craftsman? I'm basically looking for a set of mechanics tools (sockets, rachets, wrenches etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by eatpoi View Post
                Are the HUSKY and KOBALT line of tools just as good as Craftsman? I'm basically looking for a set of mechanics tools (sockets, rachets, wrenches etc.).
                I can vouch for the Husky brand as they've been around more than Kobalt. Used to use them when I worked at Pearl Harbor Shipyard along with Craftsman and Snap-on. If I had to rate the three in order, it would start with Snap-on, Husky then Craftsman. I don't recall seeing any Kobalt tools in those days probably because it's the new kid on the block?...so really can't say anything about it.

Comment

Snap-on, FTW.

on a side note, did you know John Wayne Bobbit is the president of Snap-on tools?
                  flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    Snap-on, FTW.
                    FTW= For The Wrich?

Comment

Craftsman has never been it's own brand. Long ago Craftsman used to stamp their name on Snap-On tools, then for a while it was True Value. I've even seen some Husky power tools rebranded with the Craftsman name.

Sears's appliances are the same. Kenmore is basically Frigidaire, Whirlpool, GE, Kitchen Aid etc.

For a while Sears sold their line of TV and Home Audio equipment under the LXI brand. Basically LXI was some cheap South Korean knock off brand.

If you can afford Snap-On...that is the way to go. Another excellent brand is Proto and is sold by NAPA.

But whatever you do, DON'T buy from Harbor Freight. They sell the cheap knock off brands. My dad thought he was buying some highly discounted Chicago Pneumatic air tools from HF. What he got was some Chinese made products that bore the name CPI. The logo looked remarkably like Chicago Pneumatic's CP logo. Obviously an attempt to misguide a novice tool user.

When it comes to tools I buy locally so if and when they do break there's a brick and mortar store front to return and look the shop owner in the eye demanding action instead of some voice mail system where you log an automatic complaint.

Comment

Re: Feedback on a different tool

Craig (or anyone else), I'm curious what you think of or have heard about the Milwaukee Sawzall.
                        I just bought one last week to use for same hardcore landscaping projects here, trimming and thinning out huge clumps of areca palms and also cutting back some hau and others that are taking over part of this 14-acre property. I was using hand saws and finally saw the wisdom of using an electric hand saw as sort of a mini chain saw deal. Lovin' it so far. Just curious if there are any opinions from anyone who's used a Milwaukee Sawzall.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Milwaukee undoubtedly makes the best reciprocating saw on the market.

Spec wise this is what you want to look for in a reciprocating saw:

1) Stroke length - The longer the stroke the faster the cut
                          2) Strokes per minute - The more strokes the faster the cut

So if you have a reciprocating saw that has longer stroke and the highest strokes per minute you have a winner!

Milwaukee has both.

For pruning the best reciprocating saw blade is made by SKIL under the "Ugly" name. This is a highly serrated blade of varying tooth height (eliminates sawdust packing between teeth) that is Teflon coated.

This combination of varying teeth and Teflon coating allows this blade to make even the weakest reciprocating saw into a powerful pruning tool. It will cut thru Ohia logs faster than any other wood saw blade for reciprocating saws and we sell it in our Hardware department at Home Depot as well as Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt and Ryobi reciprocating saws. MIlwaukee also sells a reciprocating saw that allows the cutting head to pivot so you don't have to twist your wrist to cut horizontally great for demolishing work.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 21, 2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            One word of caution with Sears' return policy. They are getting pretty akamai about abuse and if they see abnormal wear on their sockets, they can reject the replacement. They had a bulletin go out to all Sears Hardware departments nationwide where they illustrated how a standard socket that was returned cracked was improperly used with an impact wrench.

If they see the typical wear-pattern of an impact tool's mark on the drive side of a socket they are authorized not to take the damaged socket in for replacement.

They're starting to become like Snap-On. I remember the times when it was no questions asked return policy on their lifetime guarantee for both Snap-On and Sears.

Comment

Extremely helpful response, Craig. Mahalo nui!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Extremely helpful response, Craig. Mahalo nui!

If you can afford Milwaukee's new line of Lithium-Ion 28v cordless tools then that's a great set to have.

But if you require long run times and a decent cordless reciprocating saw then go for the Dewalt 18V saw coupled with the Skil Ugly blade. Perfect combination for your kind of work at a decent price.

Comment

Working...
                                X